1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hey, guys...(just playin' around)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Franklinwallbrown, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Franklinwallbrown

Franklinwallbrown New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm board (because I left my bookbag at home w/ all of my stuff in it) and I was thinking about computers (which I'm sure we all do often) and I was contimplating the idea of building myself a computer when I get my grant money back for next semester (for those of you who know me: I know I've said this before). I have a great laptop, now I need a big brother desktop to blow it away. The only thing is the i7 has come out and I don't think that it is a good price/performance match for me. That's why I was thinking Core2Duo/Quad for gaming and other stuff...

The things I do (in order from most to least often):

-Folding@Home (I'm actually not at my computer)
    -Downloading Stuff (big woop, right? Again not at my computer)
    -Surfing/Homework (surfing includes watching movies [on Netflix & from Netflix] & listening to music)
    -Ripping DVDs (I am thinking about moving to BluRay, but I know that I'd like to at least be able to watch BluRays on my desktop and connect it to an HDTV & surround sound)
    -Playing games (I'm poor so all I have are my free, hand-me-down games: BF:2142, WoW [which I don't pay for, BTW] and a free online game I play with my GF. However, I was looking into Crysis [I played the demo] and FarCry 2 [trailers look amazing]. I don't really play single player games and I love BF:2142's multiplayer content. I've heard that BF2 is better, but that wasn't given to me for free.)
    -Messing w/ Ubuntu

I know how to OC, so, I'm going to OC...

Here's what I was thinking:

Budget: Negotiable, but I don't want to go crazy because I know that I could easily buy an uber great computer that I'd never get the full potential out of...I was thinking around $2000-$3000, but it would be over time.

CPU: Either a E8400 (which I've heard can get to 4.2Ghz on air) or a Q6600 (which I've heard can get to 3.6Ghz on air)

MB: Asus P5N-D?

RAM: I've heard that GSkill Pis are the way to go for DDR2...the 1200Mhz Pis are $300!!! So, I think their out. The 1100s are only $115, but I've heard that they don't OC well. Other than Pis I've heard Corsair...I'm not really 100%

GPU: One word: 280...wait, that's three (two-hundred and eighty?). I was thining 2x280s SLI eventually

PSU: I'm pretty up in the air, but I know that Modular PSUs are nice...I was thinking~1000w PSU for all the future upgrades

What I have to use:

HDD: 2xRaptors36gb & WD 250gb

GPU: 4850

Case: my old one...

That's what I was thinking to start with, then I was gonig to grow to:

Sound: Auzentech Prelude

HDD: 1xVelociraptor & 3xWD GPs

Cooling: air (but which one) and perhaps watercooling later

LCD: 24" or 22" (I like 1920x1200, but 16:9 is native...I've also seen a backlit LCD which looked amazing), but I don't know which one (Wile E says 24" Westinghouse, but I can't find one anymore)

I've also seen my friend play COD4 and he said that he'd probably give it to me so...
    I saw a review somewhere that compaired the speed of RAM at different CAS Latencies and Clock speeds and they concluded that 1200Mhz DDR2 at 5-5-5 was the fastest w/ 800 at 3-3-3 was the second or something like that. Does anyone know about this?
    The OCZ Flex XLC 1200 is looking pretty good, but it isn't 2x2gb kit...
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008