1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HI FI speakers with grunt

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by AsRock, Dec 7, 2011.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I am after some more traditional 2 way speakers with the following requirements.

Soft dome tweeter ( but not rubber types ).
    7+" woofer
    Front ported
    No rear port ( like Polks have )

Brands i am not interested are
    Bose
    SONY
    Technics
    B&W
    CV
    Onkyo
    Kenwood

Max price $400 each and don't mind if they are floor standing but like stand mounted more.

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    stay away from bose and sony. the rest you will simply have to listen to yourself.

AsRock says thanks.
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Thanks but i know that only to well from the past :).. Although some like bose but i need some speakers that have some balls so to speak.

And i thought if i post this now i might be ready to get some turn next year lol. Hopefully another pair of tannoy mercurys will turn up again ( 1983 ) but their always on sale when i have no money :|..

4. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    I don't see why you should stay away from B&W, it have a pleasing sound signature of being warm and full. I don't like it, but its not too bad.

Stay away from KEF if you don't want your ears drilled by it's treble. Also are you considering speakers with ribbon tweeters? From my experience they tend to better cloth/silk dome tweeters.

AsRock says thanks.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    B&W i have had several pairs of B&W and always to fail one way or another. Warm ? meaning soft laid back ?.. As thats totally not what i am after as that will fail to produce a rolling bass to say the least.

Yes not had much luck with KEF either in the past although had some nice ones. And as far as ribbon tweeters no not really..

I like polks tweeters but they paint them and shit. Their much better if they are just their natural colour with a oil like finish but i guess it depends on who makes them and what the crossover is set for as well.

6. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    are you looking for a balanced "voice" or something colored? what types of music do you listen to mostly?

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Some thing lively but not to bright. So high db is not a very high requirement meaning like 95db+.

I listen to most of my music all about the same really from all kinds like Queen, ACDC, all kinds of dance, happy hardcore from the 90's, Tracy Chapman to even classical music.

And yes i know it be hard to find a pair of speakers to soot all that music. But tight bass is a requirement so no lacking bass or boomy bass BS. Must be front ported too as i find this fills the room better with bass and helps to give the listener more a feel of the sound.

Any links to any good hifi shops in the US ?.. I keep finding speakers in the UK what i like LMAO.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  8. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    im not sure what you mean by "front ported"

9. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    I like Infinities. I have a rs 325 (6.5 in) as my center speaker. I had a pair, but I hooked one of them to a 220 volt ac amp that was plugged into 120 vac.

Anyway, it is small, attractive, and loud. I wish I still had the other one.

I am also partial to Cerwin Vegas. I have a set of D-3's that need new foam. The Vegas of recent times seem awesome on paper, but are way out of my reach...check em out.

Addition edit : http://cerwinvega.com/home-audio/floorstanding-speakers/xls-12.html

10. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    Front ported means the bass port is located at the front as some speaker have them behind or even below. Advantage being easiest to place as you don't need to leave any space behind or under it and you are not likely to have your speaker facing the wall. :roll:

11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Like this
    [​IMG]

Not really a fan of cerwinvega, btw is the foam ripped or just slightly corroded ?. Or even corroded to the point there is big gaps ?..

I ask as a friend some time back now had the corroding issue with his and used bicycle glue as it dryed like rubber it allowed the cone to move freely still. This was in the UK so i don't know if the glue is different in the US or not but could test it just to check if it melts it or not just be careful..

He was using his for years after doing that although dunno now as i moved to the US 9 1/2 years ago and lost touch with him.

Yes all so the bass is projected in to the room and not against the wall at the same time using the wall to make the bass tighter. Were as rear ported tend to create more of a sound stage.

I am not really in to filtered speakers.

Maybe i should of more traditional box too.

13. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a pair of those tannoys :) i almost forgot about them, i've had 3 different sets of mercurys since then.

I would recommend the current Mercury v4's, but they are floorstanders, have 6 inch cones, and a rear facing port, lol.

14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I want the originals lol. you could just sell them to me early next year lol.

15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    what city do you live in?

18. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
  19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Personally with that budget and that exact want in mind I would build my own. The diagrams for the filters, boxes and speaker combo's are readily available on the internet partsexpress also has a reasonably nice BYO section for ideas.

http://stories.parts-express.com/stories/2444-en_us/category/Speaker/story/17837/redirect.htm
    http://stories.parts-express.com/stories/2444-en_us/category/Speaker/story/17035/redirect.htm

Looks like a standard 2 way woofer/tweeter combo to me.

AsRock says thanks.
  20. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    you are probably right. for whatever reason when i think 2 way speaker i think of the traditional woofer/tweeter combo without the sub port.

21. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the Paradigms are 2.5-way not 2-way.

22. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    so im not crazy for thinking that by traditional 2 way speaker he means a speaker with only a tweeter and woofer?

23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    nope. 2-way speaker has a tweeter and mid woofer. 2.5-way speaker has a tweeter, mid woofer and woofer.

24. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    ok, cause i figured that the subwoofer can be passive or powered depending on speaker design and is not considered traditional 2-way.

25. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    PA, although not in the market for some till early next year. Just trying to get much wider range on what to look out for. In the UK i know what to look for and would have ways to get to test before buying were as here i don't have those lovely options.

Sure, their not exactly what i am after for more than the reason you said and like rear and front ported. Would like 8" none floor standing too but floor standing is ok. I am thinking the mid is cut off from the bottom for the rear port and the lower speaker is for the front port.

Been their done it, i did it with some Celestion speakers and filters and made them floor standing. And tell you the truth it's to much hassle. Again were i am getting wood and getting it cut is just a start of the issue's.. Time it takes to get them set how you want. balancing the sound so there's no odd tones.

Hate to think how many hours i spent putting on the wood vinyl covering but hey maybe that's already done.

In the end waaaay time consuming not good when there is kids around..