1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hi, im new to the forum and would like some advice

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Zachmt, May 15, 2011.

1. Zachmt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once You Know, You Newegg

that is what i have so far i plan on doing some gaming and would like you guys to look over it and see if everything is compatible and also see if there is any cheaper or better choices. i would still like to keep this under 900 dollars

2. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're going to be overclocking, get the i5 2500K instead. I'm not a huge fan of that case either, but it'll work.

3. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
  4. Zachmt New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont plan on overclocking

5. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    even so its only a very small amount more and you can get up to a 1ghz on these changing only the multiplier

Zachmt says thanks.
  6. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then the 2500 will be fine. If you want more specific recommendations, tell us what you plan to use this computer for.

7. Zachmt New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, what you have is fine for gaming/entertainment. Yes, that was the CPU I was talking about, but if you're never going to overclock, the normal 2500 is fine.

Zachmt says thanks.
  9. Zachmt New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks, but are there any cheaper options for any of those parts cause i would like to spend as little money as possible

10. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to save money, get a cheaper motherboard. (like this)
    You could consider downgrading your CPU to an i5 2300 (here) or an i3 2100 (here).

11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
  12. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    You're missing some important components.

1) Both the HDD and disc drive are bare. This means that they do not come with any SATA cables. You will need at least two, but I would suggest ordering 3 or 4 given the propensity for future upgrades.
    2) If you're going to overclock get a decent aftermarket cpu cooler. The crap Intel provides works if you never push a system, but it isn't exactly high standards stuff.
    3) Get back-up software. OEM installs generally are one and done. If your computer takes a dive having a backup copy of a fresh install will save your bacon. Either get an external and software, or have a second drive that exists solely as a backup. Partitioning a 1 TB drive so there is an OS and a data partition will allow the back-up drive to be smaller.

If anyone else sees something (I assumed the two fans in the case would be enough...), please feel free to chime in.

14. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    The motherboard usually comes with SATA cables, and he's not overclocking. As for back-ups, that is definitely a good suggestion. You can get a decent external HDD for under $50 that will do all you need in that regard.

15. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    You are correct. The motherboard is pictured with two SATA cables. My oversight.

As far as overclocking, it does give older systems a new life down the road. $40 now can make a system worthwhile in three years, rather than having to replace everything for another $500+. It is future proofing, to an extent, which may not be a concern.

16. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's all good. :) Just no point in buying extra SATA cables.

17. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, even if you don't plan on overclocking now, I think you still should get the 2500K. It doesn't cost too much more and will allow for more performance when the processor is older and you want to squeeze more performance out of it. You should also consider exchanging the 6850 for a 6870 (such as this one)so you can be more future-resistant.

18. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Future-resistant? :) Nice term. I agree, the 2500K and 6870 are better, but he wanted to decrease his costs, not increase them. If he has the budget for it, those upgrades would be a good idea, but I don't think he does.

19. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this case myself and it works great! tool less bay installs ect. Why don't you like it? I think I only paid $35 at micro center for it.

20. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not that I hate it, per se, more that I think better options are available for that price. At $35 it would be a good deal, but at $55, not so much.

21. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. lol

22. Zachmt New Member

Thanks Received:
    what case would you guys recommend?

23. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Looks good. The case will do. Don't see were else you can save money. There are better case but its going to cost you. NewEgg does run specials. the PS and Case have been on sale before. about every 2 months or so if you wan to wait to buy some of the parts.

As far as the back up options and external drive. I have an OEM 7 and reformat at least twice a year just for fun. Keep all my important stuff on a separate drive / internal

24. Zachmt New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. Zyon

Zyon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Generally any cases that you think looks good should suit you, but preferably pick any case with existing case fans or slots for extra case fans in case you want it cooler.