1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High-end builder's LC systems!?!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by phanbuey, May 26, 2009.

1. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Ok so based on my own experiences with liquid cooling, and in addition to the various threads ive read on TPU, there is something that I cannot figure out:

How can high end builders keep systems like these cooled?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems as though the general TPU consensus is that: unless you have a monster loop, high-end CPU+GPUS (more than one) in one loop are a terrible idea. However, I keep seeing systems ship with what seems like cooling that will melt the tubing after a night of full load.

So how? Is it the crap cooling that it looks like, or are they doing something different? The voodoo one especially blows my mind, as they are reputed to be quiet...

2. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    but they aren't overclocked or are they?

The only explination I hv for the first one is hot air rises
    LOL

3. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Im pretty sure they are, DS systems are almost always massively OC'd (if you pay them for it) and come with the same cooling setup. :eek:

I actually think the DS one is two loops, but still - TRI-SLI on one rad... :wtf:

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the setup in the Lian Li (purple) doesn't look too bad but since when is a CPU and GPU in one loop a bad idea? i'm starting to see triple loops more frequently a loop for Mobo, a loop for CPU and a loop for GPU all the blocks, pumps, reservoirs must cost $600-700 if I had that kind of money I would get a Mountain Mods case like this guy.

5. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you should email them also ask how much restriction is on that pump

6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    for real... I mean, I had a triple with my current setup - with my 60 CFM fans and 22C ambient that radiator would be hot to the touch, i mean really hot, when folding and my rig would be running at air-cooled temps on the CPU, which is a 45nm dualcore at under 1.4v - not a ton of heat.

Can't imagine putting a q6600 or an i7 in that loop without evertying hitting 70-75C while folding. It seems like LC is getting ludicrously expensive, for just a few C increase in performance over the best aircoolers.

7. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dosent lc start showing once you of the chip?

Someone with an i7 wc setup come in

8. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    They couldn't afford to make a WCing setup that works well and manage to sell the system because people who buy those premades are cheap even though those are expensive computers. They look at the cooling system and say... $220 for something that could leak that's insane! Half a graphics card for cooling?!!? This must be extreme!

Actually I don't know how people in their right mind could buy something like that... their components would be in a sauna.

9. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I have WC in my i7 setup (CPU only) and it can hit 77deg C on my 24/7 speeds on a long linpack run, it can hit 85+degrees on my benchmarking speed. Now when the water's gone through my rad it is nice and cool again so my weakness is obviously with my flowrate but to be able to push the water fast enough through that many blocks you'd have to have a very powerful pump setup. I have a laing ddc with an xspc top which is by no means a weak setup but i'd not be happy with their configurations.

I guess the components in those setups will run fine for a few years, maybe enough to outlast the warrenty but still it seems a bit risky. To be fair though half the people with setups like that will be buying it because it's "teh leet haxxor gaming rig" and won't be putting them through too much stress cpu wise so you're only having to worry about the gpu heat. Plus the water in the loop will not be as hot as the components due to the volume and rate it is flowing through each block.

**edit**

in the first pic they are using a laing ddc with the factory top, but they do have a rad between the cpu and gpu cooling and then between the cpu and pump, so it seems to be pump>gpu>rad>cpu>rad>pump which is alright, but the second one is all one loop with a duel 120 rad at the end, though looking at it i'd be suprised if that's a heavily overclocked setup (looks like a server mainboard, which usually don't have much overclocking control, if any).

10. Naekuh

Naekuh New Member

Thanks Received:
    About the whole serial arguement... well... thats gonna be tough... General rule in h2o tho, more flow = better performance in general.

However sometimes u can maintain a higher flow in a complete serial loop using multi pump configs, then you would in a single loop with a single pump.

If you ask me tho, those setups arent very good, nor are they recient. The first one uses a very old block apogee or GT. The second setup is using a very old swiftech block.

Both very sub par compared to todays.

I personally run a multi loop setup, probably one of the most expensive setups on this forum. :p

My 24/7 settings with max possible heat load temps. Look at realtemp max.
    [​IMG]

But this kind of performance requires $$$