1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High-end Radeon HD graphics: Sapphire vs XFX vs MSI vs ASUS vs Gigabyte vs VisionTek?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by vawrvawerawe, Nov 11, 2012.

?

Which brand would you choose? (Not listed in any particular order)

1. Sapphire

37.0%
  2. XFX

7.4%
  3. MSI

25.9%
  4. ASUS

14.8%
  5. Gigabyte

11.1%
  6. VisionTek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

3.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    High-end Radeon HD graphics card: Sapphire vs XFX vs MSI vs ASUS vs Gigabyte vs VisionTek?

For the exact same graphics chip:

• What is the difference?
    • Is one brand better than another?
    • What should I get and why?

They all look the same to me except for aesthetic appearance and brand name.
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    MSI has always had good support for me in the past for their motherboards so I tend to lean toward them if they have a good looking product. As far as video cards are concerned, I have two MSI Radeon HD 6870s and they're both amazing products that overclock very well and keep temperatures nice and low. A MSI video card as never failed on me. Not to say other manufacturers aren't good, I just have personally had great experiences with MSI products.

I had a XFX fail on me, but they were very good about replacing it with a new model that was actually faster and overclocked better.

I also had a VisionTek 4850 and it didn't overclock worth crap, but it worked fine.
    vawrvawerawe says thanks.
  3. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Sapphire is reliable and good cooling and generally good on memory, I know a ton of people with them. XFX do a double dissipation model which is relatively awesome, msi I don't touch anymore so I wouldn't know what they're like nowadays,they're cyclone power edition cards back in the day were cool, gigabyte windforce is sweet ass cooling at low costs but fairly loud when you push the fans to max, but seriously reliable coolong for the price, and finally Asus direct cu II is epic cooling and utterly silent, though a lot of the cards are triple alot, though for a high premium you can get two slot cards from them, check out the gtx 670 direct cu II review from w1zzard
  4. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    hey ive always used Sapphire or Gigabyte (plus the odd HIS) and they have been rock solid for me, some packs have more accessories and some have games bundled in, it all depends on what you want :)
  5. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Sapphire for me.

The last XFX I got had a fan failure after 3 months, Not a problem in it's own right as i would have just got a new fan for it, But unfortunately replacing fans on an XFX invalidates the warranty. So it had to be RMA'd for a minor fault. Added to the XFX RMA they were slow to send the card back out, It took over 28 days and because i had gone through a reputable company (novatech UK) they sent me a brand new sapphire instead.

That been said I would avoid any company that invalidates warranty on the removal of the HSF now. This been a consumers and modders market the inability to go 3rd party, or water on a card is a big loss.

You also have to be careful with some cards due to design. A cheaper card with a non standard HSF may have overheating issues after time, So if in doubt go stock, Read reviews, and ask on a reputable forum if you have any questions regarding warranties, 3rd party coolers, and build quality.
  6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    HIS, MSI or Gigabyte for me.
  7. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
    look at the reviews here, find the pcb with the most ridiculous amount of power phases and other neat technical terms then create a water block that can take advantage of their custom heat sinks and make the best hybrid card. but to answer your question, there is no right one... reference is find because u don't need an extra bulky gpu because youll just want a newer gen card when they come out anyways... well thats the way id do it, like if I were to buy a msi lightning r7970 BE, I would still get a referance hd8970 on release date anyways... if you want cards with ridiculous content that comes with the box then the Chinese win, friggen paint and air kits, fan kits, just extra shit to plop onto your card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b36/HIS_HD_7970_IceQ_X²_Turbo_X.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b32/MSI_HD_7970_Lightning.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b680/GIGABYTE_HD_7970_Super_Overclock.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b514/PowerColor_HD_7970_PCS _Vortex_II.html
  8. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Wow R7970 Lightning BE is insane, plus they say THREE FREE GAMES with purchase!! LOL!! $500 for a graphics card is a bit out of my budget range though!! lol!!
  9. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte, Asus or MSI for me 3 year warranty great service, great hardware, faultless quality. What else can i say

INNO3D are excellent 3 year warranty, BEST cooling (use aftermarket) and bundles worth paying for

XFX are shit, service is bad, cards are cheaply made...
    Sapphire was very good but cards lack quiet cooling
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    They weren't always that way. When my 7900 GT died and was replaced with an 8600 GTS, I could overclock it from 725Mhz core/1450mhz shaders to 950Mhz core / 1950Mhz shader without any voltage mod or anything. It was one of the best overclocking GPUs I've ever got my hands on. I haven't bought an XFX card in a long time, so I wouldn't know if they've gone down hill, which it sounds like they have, which is a shame.
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    My past three card configurations were XFX cards, single 5870, crossfired 5870, and now 7970. Each card performed or is performing great for me.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Sapphire for me, and sometimes ASUS. Will never go with Gigabyte again.
    IMO, Sapphire is the only company that somewhat feels like the original ATI when they used to release cards too.
  13. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    I had a stock XFX 5870 working greatly for 2 years and gave it to a friend, now I have the XFX R7970BEDD (at 1100/1425) working also great. I needed XFX support for some questions, they were always great. I know, however, that many people over the web are very dissatisfied with XFX. My current 7970 works great, is cool and overclocks high BUT there are so many complaints about defective model. XFX has prices about 20% cheaper than other good brands though, so its your decision on this one.

If you have money to space, buy MSI, if you dont then try to buy a Sapphire or XFX.

Be warned though: XFX and ASUS high-end cards have voltages locked from BIOS in their latest productions.

Also, remember that an overclocked card like the MSI Lighting etc. will perform THE SAME as a stock card which you manually overclock, it is just based on luck if you can go much higher than 1100/1500 with a stock 7970 while it is much more likely that you can do it with a higher quality card. I'm saying that cause a basic 7970 costs £320 in the UK while the ASUS DCUII, MSI Lighting etc costs over £400 while not offering much more. "GHZ edition" cards at not any better than the older ones, they are just binned with higher frequencies, save a few coins and buy the normal edition then OC it, cause its the same card.

So why i went with XFX instead of MSI for the 7970? well cause i liked the orange/brushed alluminium looks (awesome compared to plastic) and my mobo is orange coloured...
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  14. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    I know, ever since the 9800gt series their integrity has fallen far below my standards....
  15. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    since we're only talking amd/ati cards, i'd have to say either Sapphire or MSI. MSI has been around forever and sapphire is the only other one I like that i've had a lot of experience with. I guess XFX is ok too.

If this were nvidia i'd throw in PNY and EVGA
  16. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    yeah + that sapphire to me feel like the most original ATI

sapphire and amd nice partners
  17. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    The Radeon Series are less expensive in general than the NVIDIA series though right? For the same amount of power
  18. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    I've had great experiences with XFX cards, but I originally went to them due to the lifetime warranty. I've used 3 5770's & currently using a 5970.
  19. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Good to know, about lifetime warranty. I will look out for that factor when making my final decision.