1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High pitch noise coming from PSU or graphics card.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rickjames284, Jan 20, 2012.

1. rickjames284 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all, I recently purchased an MSI Twin Frozr II 560ti 2gb and have been playing games since December. I have mostly been playing source games (TF2, HL2, DoD:S) but bought Crysis today due to the sale on Amazon.

The problem I have is a loud high pitch noise that I hear when the game begins. It stops during the time it was loading my visual settings.

I believe I am up to date on the drivers and whatnot. I just have no clue at what could be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Try determining first from where exactly that noise is coming from, I guess? It may be the card, the PSU, case fans...
  3. rickjames284 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually I believe the noise is coming from the PSU. Any thoughts? I realize this should be moved now lol
  4. rickjames284 New Member

Thanks Received:
    High pitch noise coming from PSU

Like a similar thread active right now, I am having problems with my PSU. It is quiet during most use, including playing games such as Half life 2, Day of defeat source, portal, and whatnot. I just bought Crysis and was having an issue where the PSU started a loud high pitched noise even at the menu of the game.

Not sure if I am having the same problem as the other person or if it may be something completely different.
  5. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    what brand/model PSU? Also update your system specs to show CPU, Video card so we know if you are overloading your PSU.
  6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    it looks like from coil so if your rig draws much power it would buzzing
  7. rickjames284 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have

Corsair Enthusiast series 650TX 650W ATX12V
    i5 2500K
    8gb ripjaws x
    MSI Twin Frozr II 560 ti 2gb
    ASRock Extreme3Gen3
  8. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Give it a few days/weeks. My Corsair did the same thing and stopped withing 3 weeks or so.
  9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Please go to UserCP, fill out all of your system specs, and tick the checkbox to display them. Don't worry about moving the thread, we'll help you figure it out. Most of the community is asleep right now (I'm heading off to bed myself), but check back in about 8 hours and you should have some more responses.

Some newer higher-end GPU's do have capacitor whine. What we need to determine is whether all looks right with your system to see if a potential problem may be causing something abnormal. Some motherboards whine as well. I had a Gigabyte P55 board that squealed like a f*cking piglet that I had to return.
  10. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Most likely capacitor squeal. Could mean that your PSU is on its way out, or it could mean nothing.
    I had an Antec that started squealing and didn't die for almost another 6 months.
    Was actually glad that it died since the squeal was starting to get to me.
  11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yep from capacitor of coil, some buzzing is ok but too much could be something err on it
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    merged your threads.

enable vsync. the cards just running at such a high FPS it stresses and squeals. really common problem.
  13. James1o1o

James1o1o

Thanks Received:
  14. rickjames284 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem is that it only did it during two times. Opening Minecraft and the menu/gameplay of Crysis. For those curious about my rig the specs are listed above as the threads were merged.
  15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    My old M3A78-CM would wine quite noticeable when using the onboard GFX but never did bother it any.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. James1o1o

James1o1o

Thanks Received:
    Have fraps running when you open Crysis, you will see it will be running about 2000fps. :laugh:
  17. rickjames284 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now I hear a clicking coming from the PSU during the startup lol. It has stopped after a couple minutes. I am getting a feeling that the PSU will need to be RMA'd. I will try the thing with crysis lol

Edit: The loud whining noise has stopped but now I hear a very low buzz sound coming from my PSU. I only hear it when the volume is turned down and I put my ear to the PSU. Is this normal? Am I just being paranoid at this point?
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012