1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High pitch noise from PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Terepin, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Terepin

Terepin

Thanks Received:
    In January I bought Seasonic 860W 80Plus Platinum. I read review about it and considering Seasonic's reputation I took it. My excitement didn't last long. The moment I switched to ON it instantly starts emitting barely noticeable high pitch noise. But it wasn't something to brag about, since it was silent in closed case. It was still silent during POST and booting. But after system booted into OS, it starts emitting loud high pitch noise. And because I received it on Friday, I had to keep it the whole weekend. During those two days not only it was driving me crazy, but I also started having headache. A terrible one. So, the first thing in Monday morning I went to shop. I was told they will order replacement, but as it turned out they send PSU for warranty repair. I have waited for almost a month, only to discover that repair technician wrote it doesn't emit such noise. Imagine my frustration... Anyway, since I didn't have spare time to test it, I let it in the box for another two months. I finally got time (and nerves) to take the PSU to another PC, with older and totally different configuration. The same noise appeared once again. Confident that the PSU IS faulty I let it few days in a box, so I could send it back again. Two days ago I needed to test something, so I plugged it back. And then I heard it: SILENCE! It was miracle! I was happy beyond words. I was even afraid to turn the PC off. The next in the morning it was still silent, until I fired up Left 4 Dead 2. The noise was unfortunately back and didn't stop. And this is what troubles me: the inconsistent behavior, which makes my warranty repair difficult. Why it was suddenly silent? Why it returns back after playing game, when yesterday it was fine? And why on earth it's emitting noise only in OS and not the whole time? I spent 190€ for the PSU and I don't have such amount of money to buy a new one in case they refuse to acknowledge the issue. How should I proceed? I was thinking to write about this behavior and test in different PC. Will be this enough?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Record the issue with a video camera and be sure to keep it close to pick up the PSU noise. This way when you send it in you can send the tech a link to youtube with the video clip showing the noise. I would also show the sticker and maybe the serial number so that they know you have video for the same unit. It will be hard for them to deny it at that point.

Terepin says thanks.
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Well, you bought a damned fine PSU there as far as the brand goes, but you're right that it's faulty.

It sounds like the shop is doing the usual trick of giving people the runaround to avoid replacing your PSU and saving themselves money; I've had places pull the same trick on me too. They damned well know it's faulty.

It might be time to contact Seasonic about this directly. They have a reputation to uphold, so I'm sure they won't mess you about like this.

Oh and I'd take Sneeky's advice and record a video, if you can. Good solid evidence is what you need.

4. Zenith

Zenith

Thanks Received:
    My Antec also emits high pitched noise when loaded (I guess more wattage more noise, since with 5850 is almost silent, with 680 is quite noticable, if 680+i7 are folding it is almost a whistle sound). I guess I will RMA mine. Also will record it and put it on the Youtube and send to Antec.

5. Terepin

Terepin

Thanks Received:
    Where I can find contact info and if I may ask how should I approach them? I have never contacted any company directly before and I want to make sure I won't look like an analphabet.

6. seasonic rep

Thanks Received:
    FreedomEclipse, m1ch, crmaris and 5 others say thanks.
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  8. Terepin

Terepin

Thanks Received:
    Thank you! I shall send email straight away.

9. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
  10. Terepin

Terepin

Thanks Received:
  11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I can hear a kind of squirly noise in that video. It's typical of a failing PSU, so you're right not to accept it.

RMA it with Seasonic directly.

Then, when you've received the new unit back, you can go to that crap shop and have the satisfaction of telling them that Seasonic replaced it for you and that you're never buying from them again!

12. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Would be nice if we had our own resident Seasonic rep.

13. seasonic rep

Thanks Received:
    Hi All,

Sorry I am not very active in the forums..... If anyone has any issues, comments, suggestions, please send a PM to my attention or to: support@seasoniceu.com

Thank you and again, apologies for not being as active as I should be!

14. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Seasonic Coil Whine

If you Google "seasonic coil whine" you get 17,000+ hits, obviously you're not alone. Maybe it's a conspiracy to sell high watt PSUs. Seriously, they are considered to be the best PSUs on the market, so why is this problem so common? The worst offenders seem to be in the 550 to 660 watt range, especially in systems with high end video cards and lots of fans and drives. It must be inherent in the design, and not a sign of failing components, because it's way too common. Also, people with acute hearing are probably more annoyed by the noise than older folks who are maybe not even hearing it. Whatever the cause, Seasonic should address the issue and not try to avoid warranty claims just because the PSU outputs the correct specs when they test it. Obviously, they know about the problem, but haven't changed the basic design or whatever it takes to correct it. I'm sure if you press them, they'll uphold their good reputation and give you satisfaction.

15. seasonic rep

Thanks Received:

There is no avoidance of any responsibilities on our side. The issue arose from meeting ErP & EuP 2013 requirements in the EU and per our original design, we did not hear any coil whine at all. What we have seen is that paring certain series of our PSU with certain MB's, chipsets and or VGA, results in coil whine from the PSU and during the design phase, we have tried our best to test different combinations, this is part of our process, but there is no way to test every combination. As well, in many instances, changes to BIOS settings result in either the reduction and or termination of the coil whine. You also rightly pointed out, some people are more sensitive than others to the noise and in a factory environment with compressed air power tools, SMD machines, wave solder ovens, burn in ovens, it is very difficult to hear these noises.

We have taken steps to rectify this issue and its reoccurrence in the future and anyone with this issue can contact us for support.

The OP has already contacted us and the issue is in progress to be resolved, no pressure needed, we gladly support our customers who place their trust in our products.

Terepin, sttubs, Hood and 2 others say thanks.
  16. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Apology Accepted

I'm sure you're active in many forums, and your time is limited, but 2 posts in 1.5 years is really not being active at all. Just wanted to let you know, I also participate in about 20 other forums, and techPowerUp is hands down the best, and has the most relevant questions intelligently answered by some very experienced users. It rarely degenerates into a hate fest like so many others, and when it does, our moderators quickly set them straight.
    I'm certainly no expert, but I love building computers and I spend many hours a day on forums and reading the latest hardware reviews, so I generally know which way the wind blows.
    Seasonic is still the best, as evidenced by countless satisfied customers and positive reviews, but the noise problem shouldn't be ignored, and I hope you guys are actively working on a solution.
    FULL DISCLOSURE; I have never owned a Seasonic PSU, but only because they're not available at my local shop (TigerDirect). I needed a power supply quickly, so I ended up with an Ultra X4 750 (80+ Bronze), the few Corsair models they carry are not the good Seasonic-made ones or even modular. Why no Seasonic at TD?

17. seasonic rep

Thanks Received:

Sadly, I am not very active at all in any of the forums. But I have many partners who will alert me to issues which require my attention. We are currently looking for a solution to better monitor the forums and to better support our customers.

Terepin and Hood say thanks.
  18. Terepin

Terepin

Thanks Received:
    And I thank you for such quick reaction. It's very refreshing to see a company that actually cares about customer and not just about he's money.
    Though I wonder about one thing. I tried my PSU with 3 motherboards, 3 RAMs, 3 CPUs and 2 graphic cards. What are the odds that PSU will even with them emit noise? Because I worry about the possibility that even new unit will do the same.

19. seasonic rep

Thanks Received:
    The unit will be tested before it is shipped.

As well, we will do a pre-exchange for you and cover the freight costs. Your other option is to bring the unit to your point of purchase if you feel our proposed option is not viable.

If you wish to return your current unit and not opt to try out our exchange unit, then you will need to contact your point of sales as we are not able to do any money back returns for you because we do not sell direct to end consumers.

20. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    You're On The Right Track

Your presence on this and other forums is a step in the right direction. As I noted, Seasonic's reputation is stellar, especially among enthusiasts, so the hard work is already done. But a reputation can be a fleeting thing, and takes constant vigilance to maintain.
    Take the example of Corsair, probably one of Seasonic's more lucrative partnerships. If you read as many reviews and user comments as I do, you'll quickly notice that Corsair seems to have the best customer service department on the planet. They appear to be willing to do whatever it takes to satisfy every customer, things like shipping a complete new case to a customer with a dented side panel, and not even asking for the old case back, for one example, and there are countless others.
    In other words, they're not strictly motivated by short term profits, instead they concentrate on offering the best hardware on the market, customer satisfaction, extensive R&D to stay ahead of the competition, and of course partnering with the best companies. The profits therefore take care of themselves, and in a very short time Corsair has become a household name with a very solid reputation. Also note that Corsair has a very good forum on it's website, seasonicusa.com could certainly benefit from starting one.
    TLDR - keep up the great work, look around, the answers are in front of you if you look in the right places, you already have a huge following which only awaits a place to be heard.

21. Terepin

Terepin

Thanks Received:
    Can I send you the full specs of all three systems I have tested my PSU on? Will it be helpful to you in any way?

22. seasonic rep

Thanks Received:
    Sure, all information can be of help!

23. Terepin

Terepin

Thanks Received:
    -CPU: AMD FX-8120
    -RAM: ADATA 2x4 GB DDR3 1600G Gaming Series CL9
    -MB: ASUS M5A97 PRO
    -VGA: MSI R7870 TwinFrozr III 2GD5/OC

-CPU: AMD FX-8350
    -RAM: Corsair 2x4 GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9 Vengeance
    -MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    -VGA: MSI R7870 TwinFrozr III 2GD5/OC

-CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    -RAM: 2x 2GB Kingston 9905316-175.A00LF + 1GB A-Data DQVE1A16
    -MB: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3
    -VGA: Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Is there more information that would help?

24. seasonic rep

Thanks Received:
    This is fine,
    Thanks

25. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a screaming capacitor to me, I would take that sucker out of my pc before that cap fails, it could seriously screw up your entire setup.