• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High res textures, Open GL, & Deus Ex

So, I just installed the New Vision high res texture pack for Dues Ex. It only works when renderred with OpenGL. The textures load fine, but my game speed RIPS along when using OpenGL. I mean, everything is around 3 times faster.

Is there anyway to slow this down? There is nothing in game options, so I'm at a loss.

Processor AMD PHENOM 9950BE x4 (140W)
Motherboard ASUS CROSSHAIR II (BIOS 2003)
Cooling ZALMAN 9700L
Memory 4GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1066 (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT XXX (740/1000)
Storage WD250x2 RAID0/Maxtor 500GB STORAGE
Display(s) SAMSUNG 23"/ACER 20"
Case COOLMASTER 690 CUSTOM
Audio Device(s) SUPREME FX II
Power Supply OCZ 700W
Software WINDOWS 7 64
Not a 100% sure on this but i have seen several threads about this around the web, possibly one or two on TPU. But it has something to do with the GPU just being to dam fast for such an old game as it was out 10 years ago now. I've heared people mention about trying to drop your clocks etc. Im sure someone will have a more helpful answer.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
You could try Cheat Engine. There's an option in there to slow games down (or speed them up).

It worked on Saints Row 2.

John Phoenix

That is very interesting. I play Deus Ex with New Vision, and the HDTP (High Definition Texture Pack) plus the EBN Series mod and Direct X 10 support patch (they have DX 9 support mods too) on an ATI Readon 5750 1 gig ddr 5 card with no game speed problems. Seems to me if anycard should speed up a game this is one of them. I wonder what causes such things to happen.

That's the cool thing about having all those mods and different renderers for Deus Ex. You actually can have a choice of 4 different ones to play the game. The Default, DX9, DX10, and Open GL. All have their good points and bad points. You might want to try other texture or high definition packs with different renderers to see if the video style is to your liking and perhaps one of those other rendeerers will solve your problem.

Here is a page with info on all those mods and renderers: http://thenamelessmod.com/wiki/TNM_HD

Also get The Nameless Mod - Its the super awesome largest total conversion mod, 7 years in the making that there is for Deus Ex. It's like 2 full games in one so it will be like you have 3 great Deus Ex games. Links to it also in that wiki.

I have also read on the Net that New Vision works with Direct X 10 the renderer. You may want to get the DX 10 and give it a try. (I forget which on I am currently using- my game is installed but I haven't touched it for a while.)

Hey, if that don't work, try posting over in the TNM Forums and they might be able to help cus those folks use the New Vision Mod a lot in their TC.

Last edited: