1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High Temps... Yet Again :s

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mc-dexter, Mar 17, 2009.

1. mc-dexter

mc-dexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    ... I seriously have some issue here. my temps before i got my Xigmatek was 50 - 60 at idle for my cpu (depending on how warm it is) and motherboard was 28 - 35.

Once replaced with the Xigmatek HSF temps dropped for my cpu down to 30 at idle, and 43 under full load (over 2 hour) motherboard was the same as before.

Things got a little a dusty about a month ... maybe a little longer, and temps was very high so i decided to take everything out n dust it all down using my usual method, a soft paint brush. Cleaned and re-applied fresh paste to the cpu, put all back together, everything booted up fine as expected, temps though are 38 for my cpu now (at idle) and 39 for my motherboard :S

I really don't understand it, I do know everything is done correctly. Hardware issue maybe?

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Have your ambient temps risen? Is a case fan disconnected or moving less air than before? Has anything else changed about your build since getting the Xig? I've had very consistent results, but that's at each temp range...my apartment fluxuates throughout the year, no AC for summer, I don't like much above 65 in the winter.

3. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Experiencing the same as you. Cleaned hsf and changed paste. Temps got worse :laugh: although you're using a much better hsf than me. I'm using stock cooler. My temps before cleaning were 38c idle and 60c load now 50-55c idle and 72ishc load. :laugh: room temp did not change at all :D. Am baffled as well.

4. mc-dexter

mc-dexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well right now room temp is 24 (I also messure my temperatur's as degree celcius) just thought i'd point that out,

Come to think of it, there is one fan what has been taken out... but it wasn't there to start with when i first got the Xigmatek... so that shouldn't count.

5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    You may need to let the TIM cure. Speaking of that which TIM?

Remember, alot of airflow isn't always a good thing ;)

6. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Could be paste needing burn in periods? Hmm quite strange indeed.

7. mc-dexter

mc-dexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is serious though, mine is just annoying :laugh:

If i was you i'd check the HSF position, maybe take it off and re-attach it, Also are using the same paste as before? If not I'd consider buying better paste.

8. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    That's the problem I was using default intel tim then I decided to change it to be better. May be as jr suggested it needs curing maybe mine does lol :laugh: so right now I'm stuck with forum and no gaming... :( Plus I've ghetto modded my stock intel to use bolts with plastic washers to keep it in place and I'm sure that it's secured properly :D... Well hope you can resolve your annoyance. I'm just observing mine if it won't be fixed by a week I'mma have to buy newer paste.... :(

Using HTC Electrolube non-silicone heat transfer compound. Might as well look for better ones.

9. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    agreed with you , right sometimes much past also do problems so you can wait and test after a week maybe

10. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had some heat issues after i redid my tim. After about a week my temps dropped I kinda always figured it needed to cure to get the full potential out of it.

11. KH0UJ

KH0UJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Copper plate...

I had the same heating issue on my HD 3450 videocard, first month its 44 C on idle, 56 C on full load (after 2 hours of gaming) the next month it raised up to 50 C on idle then 76 C on full load :eek: my remedy is i install a copper plate (paper thin) and cut it square exactly the same on the head of the video card chip (1 inch X 1 inch), i put arctic silver 5 on both sides of the plate then put it in between the chip and the heat sink, it dropped my idle is 34 C and a full load of 48 C, I guess copper is the best when it comes to heat transfer, Communication final transmitter integrated circuits uses copper metals to transfer heat from the IC to the heat dissipator alluminums

P.S. This is before i made the refrigerated casing

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009