• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High Temps ??

mugwampbro

Here's results of 2 test on a bone stock MSI laptop. Before testing, my idle temps were 70c range so I blew out the gunked up fan, etc and they dropped down to what they show below.
From searching posts I gather that my temps are way to high (max temps reached while testing) and killing my processor (BTW...I had no other programs running while testing). I want to get temps under control before I get into calibrating. I have never adjusted anything in the bios so all settings are from the mfg. (MSI). Any suggestions? Redo thermal paste ?? (laptop isn't under warranty anymore anyway)

Should I just install and use "THROTTLE STOP" or is there something I should be checking and adjusting..bios setting etc.

Room temp= 66F (both tests) running PRIME95.
thermal test 1.png
test 2.png
program 2.png

Last edited:
Processor i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Cooling Zalman CPNS9900-A LED
Memory Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 (4x4 Gb)
Video Card(s) 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 [Ref] -(crossfire) [out via DVI-D]
Storage 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX
Display(s) Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 [in via DVI-D]
Case Coolermaster Stacker STC T01
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro [PCI-E]
Power Supply Corsair AX 1200W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
What program did you use to get that max temp???
Apparently your TJMax is 100°C, so you haven't exceeded that in your max benchresult, so you're fine.
Please when your testresults are in °Celsius keep it Celsius and not "Room temp= 66F" i don't even know what that means.
What did you expect? It's not a gaming machine, i'm not only assuming that because you merely mention it as "a MSI laptop", but mainly because it is a i3-380M. Build apparently is not exactly trying to keep it extremely cool because it would cost you and this budget laptop obviously was never meant to run at 100% load often anyway.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
What program did you use to get that max temp???

Looks to be RealTemp 3.70.

Apparently your TJMax is 100°C, so you haven't exceeded that in your max benchresult, so you're fine.

No, however, he is right at it.

Please when your testresults are in °Celsius keep it Celsius and not "Room temp= 66F" i don't even know what that means.

It means about 19C...

What did you expect? It's not a gaming machine, i'm not only assuming that because you merely mention it as "a MSI laptop", but mainly because it is a i3-380M. Build apparently is not exactly trying to keep it extremely cool because it would cost you and this budget laptop obviously was never meant to run at 100% load often anyway.

As a consumer... I would expect it to be able to run 100%, unless the manufacturer claims otherwise and the consumer agrees.

@OP

Well, you seems to have gotten the temps down and they are not all that terrible; but, still on the high side.
All the laptops I have dealt with, do run near or at the max temps.

If you are familiar with the teardown of laptops and feel comfortable... My opinion is yes, tear it down.

You may not have gotten all the dust and such out.
And while in there you can clean it up and re-apply the TIM where needed.

Don't expect to much from the stock cooling on most laptops, as, most are designed to run at the limits if need be. This is due to space and cost requirements.

Video Card(s) 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 [Ref] -(crossfire) [out via DVI-D]
You didn't really have to quote me and reply the quotes. :rolleyes: While generally your message to the OP is the same as what i said only i did it with less words.

Looks to be RealTemp 3.70.
RealTemp does not cause that temperature. I clearly asked for the program he tested with.
I now notice in his post it's Prime95.

No, however, he is right at it.
So, that is what i said.

It means about 19C...
I could google that too.
As a consumer... I would expect it to be able to run 100%, unless the manufacturer claims otherwise and the consumer agrees.

@OP

Well, you seems to have gotten the temps down and they are not all that terrible; but, still on the high side.
All the laptops I have dealt with, do run near or at the max temps.

If you are familiar with the teardown of laptops and feel comfortable... My opinion is yes, tear it down.

You may not have gotten all the dust and such out.
And while in there you can clean it up and re-apply the TIM where needed.

Don't expect to much from the stock cooling on most laptops, as, most are designed to run at the limits if need be. This is due to space and cost requirements.

mugwampbro

Thank you both for responding!

Blin, this is my first laptop so no, I didn't know what to expect. But these forums are here to help newbie dumbass's like me. BTW, it is a MSI A6200, (should have included that) which is a budget model.
Being a newbie..... Viper's 'more words' are what I needed (informative and constructive). His breaking down of your quotes went a long way towards my understanding of what is going on. Anyway......

When searching forums for answers to problems, I hate it when the OP doesn't ever respond to whether the initial problem was fixed or not. My temps are much better now and this is what i did while waiting for post replies:

One would tend to believe that the mfg's application of thermal paste to the CPU/heatsink would be hard to improve on.... not so!! In my case it looked like someone dumped a truckload of the stuff on it. I cleaned everything up and 'neatly' applied new paste. The outcome? It lowered my temps another 10 degrees Celsius !

Next, I looked up the specs. of my processor (core i3-380M/Socket G1 (rPGA988A) ) at Intel and found that the TJMAX is 90 Celsius. I imputed this into RealTemp and now my idle readings are 32/27-ish.
*note to other newbies (extremely simplified): Doing this doesn't physically lower your temps in any way, (like fan/vent cleaning and applying new thermal paste does), it just changes the scale. As you drop the TJMAX values the 'reported' temps lower also. In other words, don't fool yourself into lowering your TJMAX values just to see lower temp readings, it doesn't work that way. This also explains why you see different temps with different programs (CoreTemp, SpeedFan, etc.).... they are just using a different default setting for TJMAX.
Set it to what the mfg. calls for. Any way.....I don't think that changing TJMAX value in REALTEMP physically changes the 'actual' tjmax setting the mfg. puts into the cpu anyway. Someone please chime in if I'm wrong!!

Another thing I discovered while searching was why one CPU core runs hotter than the other. In my case, core 0 sits right beside (closer) to the Intel Graphics HD chip and therefore runs hotter.

By way of cleaning my fan and its output vent (20 celsius) and by applying new thermal paste (10c) I was able to lower my temps 30 degrees celsius !! It looks like the only other improvement I can do is too speed up my fan a bit with SpeedFan but I haven't figured out how to do that yet as my motherboard isn't in their known supported MSI MB's list.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is a great improvement.:clap:
And, you seem to have read up and learned a lot... :toast:

Well done man!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
With any Core i CPU, there is no need to change the TJ Max value in RealTemp. Intel writes the correct TJ Max value to every core of every Core i based CPU.

Open up the RealTemp - Settings window and click on the Defaults button and RealTemp will read the correct TJ Max value from your CPU. Changing this value was of some use during the Core 2 era but there has been no need to do this for the last 5 years when the first Core i CPUs were released.

Good work cleaning up your laptop.