1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

high water cooling temps

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by rhc1690, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    My question is where are the fans? Water cooling doesn't do too great when it's passively cooled once the water warms up.

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They're in pull, hidden behind the block, or on the outside of the case behind the blocks, i presume. Unless he said he has them in pull and actually doesnt have fans at all, but why would somebody lie about that xD

That is not the block he is using. He has the rectangular block, found here: http://www.xs-pc.com/products/waterblocks/cpu-waterblocks/raystorm-cpu-apu-waterblock-amd/

That means according to what direction he THINKS the water is going, he has the tube going into the inlet. Of course, the pump could be wrong meaning its pumping everything the other way.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Same block, different bracket holding it down because it's AMD

Look at the pic and you can read the "IN" is on the right, different than OP's pic.

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    the hose on the right hand slot is what is going in. he has it going >pump>rad>gpu>rad>cpu, the pump from the 120mm rad is going IN to the right hole, and OUT from the left into the reservoir.
    read the reply i got from my first question, and then look at the second picture.
    this is all causing confusion because OP has his watercooling set up in strange ways, like having cpu last right before res instead of FIRST right after the res.

manofthem says thanks.
  5. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Ok so it goes GPU>120rad>CPU right?

Tht means he's entering the CPU block in the outlet port.

Add: it's possible I'm mistaken considering I'm on my phone and its harder to see, but that seems to me to be his issue, or one of them at least.

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    You can clearly see the hose from the 120mm rad is going into the top circular port (which horizontally is the right hand port, which is the inlet.

manofthem says thanks.
  7. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'll concede, it looks like I'm wrong. I think it's the bad pics on my phone, at least I'll blame it on that lol. In OPs pic, I was looking for he word Raystorm on the block, an j thought that's what I saw on the left side, but it seems it was the word "in". I had to twist my phone :shadedshu

So it must be something else :laugh: Don't I feel dumb? :banghead:

Thanks RCoon for being patient and not calling me an idiot :eek:

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    At first i believed you were right, so we're both as bad, just so happens i can zoom a million times larger :D Although he may have the reservoir the other way around, so all he can try now is to switch the hoses on the reservoir and try that.

EDIT: HORRY SHEEEET I JUST NOTICED THE BLOCK AND BRACKET ARE THE WRONG WAY ROUND COMPARED TO THE ONLINE SHOP IMAGE!!!!!
    OP, turn your block around (bracket however is the correct way around) so that XSPC is on the left AND raystorm is on the left. then switch your CPU hoses around. manofthem was correct, only you spun your block around and not your bracket for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    manofthem says thanks.
  9. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    So I'm not as crazy as I thought?! :laugh:

Well that accounts for his terrible temps then, flow is completely disrupted.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I saw that when you pointed that out. "Raystorm" is running along the left side of the block, which would make the inlet on the bottom. He either has the water passing through the block backwards(which if he has the system running in the order he posted in post #3, is true), or the water is passing through the CPU block the correct way and he has his tubes going to the pump/res mixed up.

11. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I'd go for the CPU Block IN tube is in the wrong one

12. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    That's my bet too. And he doesn't need to rotate the block at all if the hoses are long enough to switch places.

RCoon says thanks.
  13. jaggerwild

jaggerwild

Thanks Received:
    Not to highjack the tread, I never caught his nozzle size? I may have missed it, running a high temp CPU and GPU with basicaly a triple RAD? All you can expect is ambient temps, if the room is 65d egrees, PLUS heat needs to dissapate and the fans are blowing in? And you wonder why you have high temps?

14. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    OP has quoted earlier in the thread he has fans on the outside in pull configuration. ambient temperature is not 65 degrees anywhere except the desert.
    if he sorted his cpu block out, we all have no doubt his temps will greatly improve. though his rad and component order is retarded.]

Also OP should put his RAM in slot 1. Though by the looks of it he isnt even here.

15. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    all connections are correct as ive just triple checked when draining the system but still high temps on cpu/gpu

16. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Dude, from the second image you gave us, we blatantly know the tubes on the CPU socket are the wrong way around. Switch them around and tell us what happens.

17. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry for not replying earlier i turned my cpu block around< although i didnt think an upside down cpu bloxk would send temps soaring also after turning the block around the tube is still coming from the rad at the rear to the IN entrance and made it a bit awkward to fit the tube. also my fans are in pull config in the rear of the case

18. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Wait, so there are no actual fans at the top radiator?

19. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i have 1 x 120mm at the rear and 2 x 120mm in toip of the case in the grill that lifts off

20. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i have 1 x 120mm at the rear and 2 x 120mm in toip of the case in the grill that lifts off like so

[​IMG]

21. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Just to Clarify
    [​IMG]

22. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so would the block upside down affect temps really badly?? i mean it would still be flowing the same way thru the block would it not??

23. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    The block being upside down was just for referral to the shop image. You were supposed to turn the block upside down and switch the tubes around as well.

24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    No, I think it would. I've seen a couple of cases where routing it through the block the wrong way has worsened temperatures. I'm sure it doesn't help the pressure against the pump. I think your pump might be struggling, that's a pretty long loop.

25. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    but it wasnt routed thru the block the wrong way tho