1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

high water cooling temps

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by rhc1690, Mar 25, 2013.

1. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    If at all possible, can you take an extremely close up picture of your block, so we can see the IN text. I am sure after all this checking you are probably correct, and the likelihood is that your pump just cant push the water fast enough around all those parts TBH
  2. jaggerwild

jaggerwild New Member

Thanks Received:
    DEGREES NOT FUCKIN Fahrenheit! :rolleyes:

What would I know about water cooling!
    http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m479/jaggerwild/computer hardware an software/harddrive009.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4636587
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  4. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    If your loop goes Res/pump > 240 > GPU > 120 > CPU, then it's entering in the CPU block in the wrong port. The block is made to flow one particular way, hence the IN label.

[​IMG]

Ignore the different bracket, and look inside the block. Obviously they are designed to flow one way. I have the same Raystorm, I have taken it apart, and you can tell that it matters which way water flows.

here, this is better
    [​IMG]

It shows why the flows is VERY IMPORTAMNT!
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes but what im saying is tracing the flow of the loop then i am entering the block at the correct INLET, the one that says IN. im not entering it on the outlet and never have done that and have been extremely careful not to do that
  6. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what i was meaning is would the block being turned around affect the flow? orientation while being connected to the INlet
  7. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Wait, we are all under the understanding that your flow is:

According to what you said in the quote above, it means that your are entering the CPU in the outlet port!

Look at your picture you posted, and you can see the tube going from the 120mm rad to the top port on the CPU block, which is outlet! You can see the tube going from the port labeled "IN" going back to the res.

This is all based on what you say about your flow. :)
  8. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes thats the order but i can assure you that it doesnt go into the outlet port and never has done
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Well, the best route for optimal CPU temps is to go from pump, to rad(rad cools pump heat), to CPU, then to secondary rad, then VGA< back to pump/res.

With CPU last, the water passing over it is quite warm, would give higher than expected temperatures.

FX8350 can pull 350W with OC easily, cooling this CPU is not for the weak of spirit.

Something is definitely wrong, though, even your GPU is getting aircooled temperatures. If you ran with a airblock, and there was no flow in blocks, those high temps are not something you'll ever escape...you furbarred the CPU's IHS TIM(overheating can dry it out, causing higher-than-normal temps, I've done this myself numerous times). I'd also be re-pasting your GPU.
  10. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Just humor us and switch them.
    manofthem says thanks.
  11. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    re pasted the cpu heatsink twice already today and 8 times over the weekend
  12. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so now u would like me to deliberatly run them the wrong way around
  13. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    It won't be the wrong way. Water is going from your 120rad into the outlet port of the CPU block. Why is this hard to understand?

look,

[​IMG]

The inlet port is the bottom one, where you can partially see the word IN. But you have it coming in the top port.

What Random Murderer is saying is to switch the tubes around, and then try it.
    Random Murderer says thanks.
  14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    that's fine, you cannot replace the paste under the IHS on that chip. Also, try less paste.

I can tell by the oxidization on your block that it ran hot. You said it ran hot. How, it will ALWAYS run hot.

quite similar to Crazyeyesreaper's 3960X I sent him.
  15. rhc1690 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that pic is taken from this afternoon after iw as told to change the order of the loop and im running straight from the pump to the cpu block as was suggested earlier. just about to drain and run the pump/res straight into the outlet port 1st to see if that makes any dif
  16. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Well, I hope you get it figured out :toast:
  17. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    When I first got my 8350 I had similar issues and still do to a lesser degree, I cant keep the temps down beyond 4.7ghz despite lapping the cpu and all sorts.
    Initially though I had a Tt pump res in the loop and despite it looking and sounding like it was pumping right it just did not have the oomph to push through my loop , this was made worse by my mixed metal loop which caused gloop to buildup (tap waters a no no now), I got a laing ddc 18w pump and this solved half the heat issue ,id say your pumps struggling.
    I dont know if anyone else found this though but when I lapped my cpu it had the worst dishing in its IHS ive yet seen and this aalso helped a bit but its still runs too hot whilst ocd, with the360+240 rad im using I can keep its temps below 60 but not with the gpus loaded.
  18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Now if we had a shot of the inside of the case showing the pump, the truth about the flow direction would shine through! Amen... ;)
    Random Murderer says thanks.
  19. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    That's all from me, i've said my 2 cents, I'll leave it to everyone else.
    Hopefully the tubing has changed since the "this afternoon picture", and OP should have the order making a bit more sense.
    Sasqui says thanks.
  20. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Shouldn't even have to right? I mean we can see the lower tubing coming from the pump, which should be the one with the flow.

[​IMG]

That lower tube from the bay has to be water coming from the pump, and thus it coincides with the OP's stated flow.
  21. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    So OP has confused the shit out of us by giving the wrong flow. I dont even know anymore.
    Either he has the pump in the wrong direction, or the tubes in the wrong places.
  22. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Which would confirm that the flow through the CPU block is reversed.
  23. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Judging by this image and the ones posted previously of the block... yes, it should be correct:

[​IMG]

The outlet hose from the pump should line up with the inlet of the CPU block.
  24. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    But he stated he's changed it all around since that picture. But, specifically in that picture, the CPU block is reversed. And the OP should just do what was said all that time ago. Switch them around.
  25. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I don't know, I don't even know what I think anymore about this.

I will kindly take my leave now because my head hurts thinking about it. :banghead:

:peace: