1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Higher high speed internet overrated/unnecessary?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by a_ump, Aug 19, 2014.

1. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I'm torn here, because the US is a special case. Of the contiguous 48, there are huge tracts of land where the population density declines to functionally zero (looking at you Iowa). Likewise, the internet service there sucks hard. Alternatively, densely packed areas generally have access to decent speed internet. It's a function of ISPs not having much competition, and a complete lack of investment into infrastructure that "isn't necessary."

In my time I've been on a 28.8 phone line, and experienced the AOL massive disconnect policy of traffic management. I've seen cheap high speed connections in Germany, in the small town of Luebeck. I've also seen decently priced 100/20 cable lines in areas surrounding decent sized cities.

The only rhyme and reason to the internet being as expensive as it is in the US is that nobody is investing in it. The telecoms are happy to offer faster plans, but instead of adding capacity they price faster plans so that fewer people pay for them. So you've got an idea, Charter is my provider. Their plans are:
    104.99: 100/20
    69.99: 50/15
    39.99: 30/10
    19.99: 10/10

The prices change if you bundle with other crap, but the price for decent TV service (Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, FX, and a few others) and basic internet is about the same as the upper tier internet packages. That's before the "deal" rates stop applying, and your bill can nearly double for no apparent reason.

Edit:

To the OP, faster is better until you reach a minimum quality level. That minimum quality is dictated by how much data is being pumped through, and how acceptable variable rates are. If you've got a lot of devices then pay more to get better service. If it's just a few devices save the money, and know that any large downloads may take a while.

XSI says thanks.
  2. bubbleawsome

bubbleawsome

Thanks Received:
    I was used to 65/5 internet. Now I'm on 3/1 and it hurts to try and watch YouTube above 480p.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    25/5 Mbit IPTV, National Phone Flat 34 Euro

If I watch HD IPTV , the Line still has enough juice to download and play BF4

4. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    The only reason I upgraded my connect we to increase my bandwidth cap. I was using a 50/5 with 350gb per month but I reached the cap in 13 days. Fortunately my ISP was able upgrade me to 150/20 with 2TB per month for an extra $10 per month. Unfortunately my ISP is having massive issues with speeds during the day. The only reason I think they are offering it so cheap is because they are building fiber 300/300 in my area.

5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Yep, Iowa is barren............. unlike Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Montana, and a few other states.

120_2019.JPG
    IMG_1340 (2a).jpg

10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    From a WISP standpoint, point to multipoint shots typically do considerably less upload than what they can do download. Uploads also take airtime that could be used for downloads. WISPs typically limit upload to minimize the impact to the network. We allow symmetrical speeds because we're occasionally stupid.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    KS is flat yet they have google fiber

8. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if being sarcastic...

At any rate, I spent a good chunk of life in the Midwest. North Dakota, South Dakota, and Iowa were all functionally barren with minor exceptions. As the southwest isn't somewhere I have a lot of experience with, I failed to include it in my commentary. Either way, the point still stands. Vast tracts of the US are functionally devoid of population. Getting a telecom to lay ten miles of copper cable so that farmer Bill can have cheap high speed internet isn't going to happen, because profits are the key goal.

ISPs exist as companies, so seeking profit isn't unreasonable. What is unreasonable is that whenever government finally steps in the ISPs cry foul, and try and stop them from building infrastructure. What we really need is an FCC that does something beyond fining broadcast networks for their use of "improper" language. What we actually get is an ineffectual relic from the age of black and white TV.

Steevo and xvi say thanks.
  9. Chitz

Chitz New Member

Thanks Received:
    currently i am using fastest modem available here with most expensive plan there is , my speeds are around 200KB/sec 300ping and 20gb data limit , simply not enough for my work , doing that 20gb plan again and again it all comes down to 180$ month i would legitimately pay even more if there was anything faster better , but well NO

10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    A bit, and just continued commentary about the millions of dollars we the US taxpayers have given to telecoms to provide last mile service, and then when it comes down to it, they provide shoddy service.

Phone lines are fine for DSL use even long distances, we solved the issues with them long ago, and it comes down to replacing the load coils in the line with modern versions and or moving the line to digital and using the spectrum available, however asking a telco to do this is like asking the Pope to give satan a handjob and enjoy it. It breaks their whole ideas of being a telco down to merely providing a data service and not meeting the industry standards of the bloated rotten whale carcass it is.

Also considering the number and distance to fiber backbone for even remote areas of the US there is no reason other than self implemented "standards" that restrict users that rural people shouldn't have at last 5Mb service.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  11. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Currently paying Frontier $30 a month (I think?) for 1.5/384 DSL service. We begged them for more (a technician physically came out and told us the modem would negotiate at 3Mbps, confirmed by our current modem), but they insist that's the most our system is provisioned for, despite their field tech saying the link was capable of more and the sales guy more than happy to sell it to us.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Holy shit that's cheap. I'm paying $92 a month for 50/2 lol

13. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    All you guys are talking about 50mbs for like $30 and I'm here with 10/1(closer to 5/1 most days) for $56.73 a month :( I say go for the 30mbs down option, give you the speed when you need it, and won't make you frustrated if multiple people in your home are streaming/skyping

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Att uverse is moving away from pots

15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:

I dunno.... Is it LOLOL

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. No its not. We are finally at a point where you don't have to play the waiting game

[​IMG]

17. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Considering you work for an ISP, I think they need the bandwidth. :p
    That's about what I pay for this.
    [​IMG]

18. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    To a few posts with low internet speed, the FCC apparently made a definition of 4mbps down is minimum for broadband. So i wonder if your internet is advertised as broadband but you don't get that if there's something legal you can do about it.

Also is it foreigners to the US that have bandwidth caps? I've lived mainly in WV and OH and i've never once ran into a company that had a bandwidth cap.

Aquinus says thanks.
  19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    What part of WV and OH you lived in?

20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Bandwidth and latency also depends a lot on how far away you are from the server with respect to router hops. The further, distance wise, you are from a server, the much more likely that you won't get your maximum download speed for people with more than 100Mbps download. Only occasionally will I realize a my full download speed on a single download.

What the high speed internet is helpful for is when my wife if watching HD streaming video while I'm working and downloading stuff. If you can't saturate your download, your latency isn't going to get that much worse when the internet is "being used", even if my network usage is using 80Mbps out of 119Mbps. The same occurs with upload, but in reality, consumers tend to use a lot more download than upload.

Lastly, Comcast used to have a "bandwidth cap" but first they stopped enforcing it.

21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    The equipment on the other end must be able to sync with your connection speed too

22. richardkg New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don’t think high speed internet is overrated. For most companies and businesses, a reliable high speed internet is very essential. The higher the speed the better for them because in many companies, there will be more than hundred employees using the connection at the same time. Even for a home internet connection, speed is a necessary factor, especially if there are more than 5 or 6 people using internet for gaming, high definition video streaming, downloading big files and several other purposes.

23. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    $45 for this.

[​IMG]

24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Do you have tv svc?

25. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I wish i could even get the damn optic connection. Instead i'm stuck with max 8/1. Which means uploading a short 1080p video made with a phone takes freakin ages to upload. With optics i'd have 10/10 connection as minimum, now that would be much more bearable.