1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Higher quality HD than Youtube

Discussion in 'General Software' started by wolf2009, Jun 19, 2009.

1. wolf2009 Guest

SOURCE

You guys who want the absolute best quality streaming video on internet might find this useful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  2. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    i thought HD was a standard?

3. wolf2009 Guest

Resolutions in pixels:
    1280x720 - 720p or just HD

1920x1080 - 1080p or Full-HD.

Then the quality is controlled by bitrate. Less bitrate, less quality.

4. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    so.. HD doesn't NECESSARILY mean high quality?
    just high resolution

5. wolf2009 Guest

exactly.

If you encode a Full-HD (1920x1080) video at 100 Kbps, it will come out blocky and probably won't be watchable. You would still call it Full-HD if you just looked at the size of the video in pixels.

6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    true - HD (high definition) refers to the resolution (vertical lines specifically) and not the bit-rate. There is no standard or lowest bit-rate for HD , however putting out HD content with a super low bit-rate is senseless, and i can't think of any commercial entities that would do that.

Also - YouTube, is not always HD , even if you hit the button. They have 4 different levels of quality, that I know of. Only the highest is actual HD, and that is only 720p. It is also not very common for people to upload true, 720p video - so the chance of seeing real HD on youtube is very low.

7. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    yes, about all site consider HD by it's resolution. Which for 1080p the bitrate is 15mbps. And
    720p is 10mbps. This allows for excellent quality, any higher wouldn't look any better. But for websites, like YouTube. It makes a HUGE video file. Video sites, will auto down-grade the bitrate. Not really sure what YouTubes is though. I would say 8mbps more than likely

8. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    It just means high definition which is a generic term now a days. Which in an of itself is moot because we've had this type of IQ since what the 1940's?

Look, all they are doing is allowing more of the movie you see onto your TV/monitor. The image quality was already good from the get go. The problem was in the delivery system. Now that the delivery system has improved it's now a big marketing push "HD" and "BR" all of which only means you can now watch those programs/movies in better IQ then you could in the past.

In hindsight it's like someone turned up the dial on IQ allowing you to have better access of the same movie, show, etc. The movie, show, etc didn't change at all. It's your ability to actually see it as it was intended.

9. v-zero Guest

Their 720p bitrate will lie somewhere between 2mbps and 4mbps.

10. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Prime example:
    I watched a movie called Bicentennial Man on ABC (1999 movie well before HD and BR was known about) about 2+ years ago at 1080i over the air. The IQ was absolutely stunning! I've never seen that movie marketed as "HD" or "BR" exclusive which furthers to prove my point.

11. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    TBH, from my experiences - it's a PITA to get either the HQ or HD link for your youtube vids. For some reason, their processing is picky as almighty hell . . . some vids will post up with HD, and others (at the same bitrates) won't.

12. wolf2009 Guest

its 2 mbps

is the resolution at least 1280x720 ? and bitrate at least 1000 kbps ?

13. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

yep . . . my final processed res is 1280x720, witrh a bitrate typically between 7k and 8k.

I've been able to create a WIN MovieMaker profile that will always get the 1280x720 HD link - I use it as a final processing pass on the vid before uploading (I run VirtualDub for all my filters and effects . . . if anyone wants it, i can upload it later.

Only vids I've done are for STALKER:SoC - either gameplay or mod demonstrations, you can check them out here: http://www.youtube.com/user/THEimperialreign

14. wolf2009 Guest

so even with that profile, 1280x720 and 7-8 mbps bitrate, you still get HQ instead of HD sometimes ?

15. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Ok, maybe I missed the point of the article.

To me, all it proves is that Youtube has a higher compression rate than blip.tv.

I didn't get why he encoded the video as h.264 in the flv container. Doesn't all video sharing sites re-encode your videos after you upload them? Surely you're not watching the same video as you uploaded in your browser...?

What am I missing?

16. wolf2009 Guest

Yes with Blip, you are watching the video you uploaded in your browser. Youtube re-encodes everything to 2mbps and you cannot go higher. With blip you can watch at the quality you uploaded.

17. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    with the profile I have - not anymore . . . at least, it continues to currently work. The older profile I had was hit-or-miss . . . youtube seems to change this processing requirements occasionally, and doesn't let the community know . . . then everyone goes through a trial and error process to figure out what works again.

But, my current MovieMaker profile does work for HD links.

youtube has a decen compression rating . . . but only with HD/HQ vids . . . standard vids are still tripe.

The only thing that youtube has over other sites - one, no limitations on subject matter (for the most part), meaning gaming vids and machinima can be posted . . . other sites don't allow certain types of vids . . . also, youtube doesn't have as strict of processing restrictions, or vid length (other sites can be quite strict with their upload limitations).

Sadly, youtube is the most flexible vid hosting site available . . . it's just a PITA occasionally.

18. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
  19. wolf2009 Guest

20. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately no. :p I'm not rich enough for a Mamba, although my Sphex did arrive today.

BEST SURFACE EVER! It's so smooth yet has this give to it that gives me total control. Completely flat and feels good on my wrist. I had some issues with billing info so my original purchase was delayed and cancelled. Waited for the refund to appear on my Visa, ordered Thursday night, let the Razer support guy know I reordered and he expedited my order and it arrived the next day. Razer support is amazing!

21. thraxed Guest

If your going to encode to flash, super is not the way to do it. I encode a lot of flash videos and for quality there only 2 ways to do it. On with Adobe Media/Flash Encoder and the other a secret. Unless your using vp6 vbr 2 pass encode, your going to loose quality regardless.

22. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    While it may be true that "HD" wasn't exactly "known about" in 1999, the idea of HD has been around for a long time...scour the internet and you'll see what I mean. Pure film source (even stuff from many, many years ago) is technically HD which is why you will see very old films converted to bluray. I don't want to get in the exact details of it, but I heavily researched this a couple years ago. Some quick google searches will tell you what I'm talking about.

And yes, EastCoasthandle I know you already know this from reading your previous post, but maybe it could be helpful to others :)