1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

higher resolution=less cpu usage?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by a111087, Aug 13, 2007.

1. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    Is that true? because I hear it somewhere, but I can't think how would this work.
    Does it take some of the tasks from CPU on GPU?
  2. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    cant see how tbh but if anything its going to tax your gpu a hell of a lot more so dont expect to play all your games @ 1900x***

only the high end cards are designed to run at high res with 512mb+ graphics memory
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I don't see how. If anything it should increace cpu useage. The only thing high resolutions are good for in this sese is un-bottlenecking video cards since at high resolutions the graphics card does more work (think 4000+ and 8800)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm... that's interesting, something I've never really thought about. I would have thought the higher the resolution the more work the GPU would have to do. I guess with that sort of thinking, then you could say the CPU has less work to do but to honest I doubt it'd have much effect. I'll look into that, that question has got me thinking.

:/

I would have thought most monitors would do some of the processing anyway right? The simplistic stuff.
  5. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would of thought the cpu would be working the same and the gpu would be working a lot harder (which it does at higher res) cant see how raising the res is going to take anything off the cpu :wtf:

all the monitor does is decode the signal from the graphics card and display it, doesnt make it work any harder wether your gaming or not
  6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The opposite must be true. In almost all cases, more resolution means more work for everything - but... not always the CPU.

Everything that is read from disk (like textures) needs to go through system memory - and that operation involves some overhead of the CPU.
  7. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    I know. :p
  8. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    some of the newwer gpu have hardware in them to decode high def vids, the 84/5/6 and 24/6 i think are the only ones atm. if i remmeber the ati ones take cpu usage down from 40% to below 5%.

*gone looking for link*
  9. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats only for decoding hi def tho not gaming, which ever way you look at it the more you crank up game detail/res the more your cpu+gpu have to work
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    no its true in theory b/c at low res the cpu is maxing out to keep up with the vid card output but in high res the vid card is maxing out to keep with the cpu thus the cpu does less work since it is now the vid card that cannot keep up the work load
  11. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    umm just repeat that at low res the cpu is maxed and at high res the gpu is maxed to keep up with the cpu (which is maxed at low res)?:wtf:
  12. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    This question is vague.

The answer would be "it depends".

General 2D tasks 640 x 480 - CPU does all the work. More than that GPU takes over.
    General 3D same thing if you play a ice age game in 640 x 480 CPU does all the work.
    Good 3D game both CPU and GPU does more work.
    HD viewing CPU does lot of work, but with newer generation GPUs CPU becomes the boss (do no work to minimum work :roll:)
  13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    yes the cpu is the bottleneck @ low res whicle the GPU is bottleneck at high res

lets say your CPU could put out a max of 75FPS and you video card could put out 500FPS @ 640X480 the cpu would max out trying to keep even with the GPU, but @1600X1200 the GPU could only put out 60FPS the CPU would do its bit while the GPU maxed out to keep up
  14. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    cdawall is speaking in relative terms
    at low res:
    - cpu working just as hard as gpu relatively
    at high res:
    - cpu still working about the same while gpu works harder relatively

so in essence the cpu would still be working about the same but in relative to the gpu now it's not working as hard
  15. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    Just to make it clear, I was talking about 3D performance(not 2d, not dvd...), sorry about that
  16. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, your cpu wouldn't do any less work. It would be doing more work if anything. Higher resolution/in game options=more processing for the cpu. If you're talking about bottlenecks, if you have a bottleneck because of the cpu at lower resolutions, you're going to get rid of that bottleneck when you turn up the resolutions, not because the cpu is doing less work, but because the gpu has to work harder and can't keep up with the amount of fps the cpu is turning out.
  17. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    a111087 - didn't specifically state games in his original post. Still, all these responses are interesting. :)
  18. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    You probably read it wrong, at high resolutions the CPU is less likely to be the bottleneck. At low resolutions the GPu has so little to do that the CPU can't keep up with it, however at high resolutions the GPU gets more to do and is more likely to become the bottleneck.