1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hipaa

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by ohmystars80, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohmystars80 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am studying for the nursing exam, and part of that is getting an understanding of HIPAA, especially patient records confidentiality.

From what I understand, Doctors, Nurses and Hospitals can send any patient information such as discharge or admission times, and certainly not any information about their medical issues, through a non-HIPAA compliant system.

Text messages between patient and doctors are a good example of this, since the data can be intercepted, or the information is stored on the phone and loosing the phone would be a breech of patient confidentiality.

Yet, I see it all the time in hospital and doctor’s offices, and I have received texts from doctors with confidential patient information.

As I was looking into this issue, I found that Tigertext.com provides a HIPAA compliant text messaging system that meets HIPAA rules, since the text messages self delete from the phone after they are read.

So, my questions are:

What is the penalty for breeching patient confidentially by sending normal text messages?
    Tigertext cost $10 a month, which is very affordable, but should the hospital provide it to it’s staff, or should the doctors and nurses get it individually?
    Will a hospital be HIPAA compliant if it doesn’t provide it for it’s staff?

The HIPAA Security rules are here:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/srsummary.html

http://www.tigertext.com/business/healthcare/

2. v8ornot2v8

v8ornot2v8 New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the wrong website for this discussion.