1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIS Radeon HD 5770 1 GB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking more like a sewing needle type pin to poke the IC's feedback to check for voltage shift when you apply 100k to ground.

2. theorw

theorw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh i got it!U mena while the card is active and monitoring the voltages u touch with a grounded needle the pin in order to see if the voltage changes right?

3. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Grounded through a resistor ofcorse but yes that's the idea.

4. theorw

theorw New Member

Thanks Received:
    I figured!:laugh::toast:
    I ll give it a try if i feel that my hands wont be shaking!!:D

5. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    :respect:
    HIS did very well by offering this card with Dirt 2. Hard to resist.

Do all HD5770s have the same type of GDDR5 RAM?

I havn't been able to stop thinking about how fast the RAM is on this card. :eek:

6. handsomerichguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice card for the mainstream. I become impatient to wait for the arrival of hemlock and see its performance

7. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    eh i still say not worth it till the price drops to $125-30. i've had an HD 4870 and its a very nice card but the HD 5850 is more where i want my pc to be performance wise, just gotta get a job soon n buy it lol

8. handsomerichguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 5770 don't support double precision calculation that is required for OpenCL application. However the 4770 support this calculation. That's funny

9. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    Where are you getting this info from?

10. MarcusTaz

MarcusTaz

Thanks Received:
    I also am interested to know this too. I will have mine tomorrow.

For those interested check my machine specs. I have the 5850 and I am going to run just a few benchmarks with this card against the 5850 and see how it does. I will post some screen shots when I am done. :toast:

11. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately for us they had produced to much rv790 chips which still waiting pcb in this times when every cent is weight five times :eek:. I wasnt to much happy with rv790 milking cow production so the best way to get rid of these waste would be enormous sale on 150$ if they could prove that with some economic balance. Cause even poor hd5770 is way much better than just 20% better monsterous chip that wastes twice as much power. So you pay premium twice with these oldie :rolleyes:

12. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    right so ATi released something to match the last series:

4830 - Nothing yet? (maybe some form of 5670 is upcoming)
    4850 - 5750
    4870 - 5770
    4890 - Nothing yet? (perhaps HD 5830?)
    4870x2 - 5870

just a thought

13. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
    They need some time to another binning of 1280SP cards, as even simpler rv770 based hd4830 only came out 5 month later even after hd4670 was launched. Somehow we usually dont see Xmas sales long before Xmas more like few days before or even after New Year.

And with new bunch of Cypress (rv870) chips with better yield i believe we'll see rv870 deliberately cut down to hd5850 just to met market demand, especially if nV doesn't came out with their g300 in next 2 month. TSMC is already above 60% yield and probably next batch wont have so muchdamages so we could saw 1280+SP or even just as 5850's 1440SPs in some lower 5830 card just with extra low clocks 550MHz to keep TDP down.

Or is there something in rumor that we might saw extra performance from Cypress chips that many have damaged extra 4 SIMD clusters so that HD5890 couldnt be launched in September but will be possible in Dec/Jan 2010 and we'll newer see 5830 after all

14. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
    Messing with FB/FBRTN will probably get us with this ST VoltReg or some of output mosfets release their soul, while Vsense is used for load voltage regulation feedback afaik.

EDIT: All above will destroy circutry and it's not to be messed up outside testing this PWM chip for application purposes. VID1 (7) is probably hot pin while VID0 (8) is used to internally switch latches. So we require software voltage regulation. And manual power play is on R1-R3 pins (10-12) (only 4 states) and actual boost current source (where we mess up) IREF (9) ...... Internally Iref pin is fixed to 1.240V. So we need some load (resistor) between pin 9 and GND if we wanna go up for 1,35V we need add externally 1,1kOhm and for 1,50V 2,6kOhm. So probably theres 1k1 1/20W SMD resistor somwere on board soldered to Iref (9) to reach default 1,350V needed for HD5770.
    So with 2k2 fixed resistor (instead soldered default) and some 10k pot in parallel we could regulate voltage between 1,24V-1,46V. For higher voltages change 2k2 with some higher one 100Ohm == 0,01V

[​IMG]

Anyway this should work, it's on you're own responsibility ofc. And its poor thing that probably ATi us ST instead volterra VRM so their retailer could release SoftMod tools to HD5800 cards thru different BIOS and voltage regulation approach which wont work on budget cards like HD5770

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  15. theorw

theorw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man this is nice info but theres already supposrt for this ST controller on msi tool 1,3!!
    I ll be getting my card tomorrow and see for my self!!!

Just out of curiosity,what is the 2nd 2 on 2k2?its 2kOHM>>?<<

16. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
    So it's possible SoftMods with MSI tool? How high voltage could be set? I'd personally love doing all mods w/o soldering on card :D It's quicker and simpler

2k2=2,2kOhm. But read text you need to change soldered one and connected to pin 9 (1.1kOhm guessed by 1.350V supposed default voltage someone mention for HD5770 card). So if all this have some reality I'd personally went changing SMD 1k1 with desired SMD one and adding just a pot on external wire. If you really decide to do that do not forget archive your soldering with some photos some had some real snapshots and i hope you wont decide to give to much voltage for card and i'd put pt somwhere on 1/2 turn or just slightly above (in 2k2 scenario) especially if you went nut high w/ fixed resistor (100Ohm on FR ==0,01V on VGPU !!)

17. theorw

theorw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah i wont be voltmodding the card the HARD way...Yes it it possible now to softmod the card.Anyway,the 1,35 volts ISNTthe default voltage but the maximum voltage the voltage regulator can output.I ve mentioned this earlier in this thread.Default should be 1,25ish???Somewhere there...So your calculations will probably are wrong...
    They only thing i d liuke to knwo is the VMEM hardmod...but i guess i ll find it when i get my card tomorrow!

18. Zíon New Member

Thanks Received:
    3D voltage seems to be 1,148V and idle voltage 0,95V

19. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
    You're just one of voltmod wannbees. Calculations are right if you try to read them carefully and having nothing with the card itself or cards default voltage (except that 1,35 is the default voltage for 5770 as you state you already said). And the whole thing is just because you burned down one card with wrong vmods lazzer pointed out and ... well read the original reply to Lazzer.

And i dont see why you wannabe a modde when the same thing you can do with software :D

it's ok. read the blue letters (not ST L6788A thats chips name)

20. theorw

theorw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank god i havent burned a card yet...I ve hardmodded 3 4850s and the result was success every time so i think i am past "wannabe" level...

And unless i understood wrong, u were trying to calculate the needed resistance for giving the gpu 1,35volt via trimmer right?So if for the default resistance,your reference voltage was wrong then wrong would be the other calculations too right?Iwas trying to be SMART.I was trying 2 b of help here:)
    And as i said after having soft support for the vGPU i d only like vMEM hardmod cos there wont be any vmem support coming...In a couple of hours i ll be searching the pcb for grounding the vMEM chip...Will post and compare with everyone here to correct my findings if needed:toast:

21. theorw

theorw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  22. theorw

theorw New Member

Thanks Received:
    First run with my 5770 @stock clocks
    [​IMG]
    9th on hwbot!
    I ll post some oced scores very soon!

23. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: OK. it's just few posts back. So what i did interpret wrong you did some mod on that 5770 card that you RMAed after that.
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=1595834&postcount=100

ofc you did when you tried so hard to understood it wrong way. Picture is self explanatory, and i went explaining why that Lazzar mode that youdid is wrong and where you should mode and what. And thats not trimmer to get you1.350V except you just do that w/o unsolder original chip on pin that i mention. If you understood modding it's not had way to understand what you doing wrong now. I say you have to unsolder original load thatgives you that1.35V. Read my first reply to Lazzer and that second to you. and it will clear up for you.

Don't look just at picture something is in the text. So 1. unsolder resistor on pin 9, 2. solder that 2k2 resistor (my hardmodder) on its place, 3. solder 10k trimmer/pot via some wires and thenyou should get 1.240V-1.460V regulation. I know i should sketch it down few times before. I suppose you werent trying to play smart but cmon you could read that two posts when you have time and pretty simply figure it out.

Anyway why you even bother with hardmod you didnt answer in my reply to you when it will only void you warranty and softmod works more than fine?

I'll just said that memory is much more voltage sensitive and since it's graphic card memory it has vdd/vddq regulation also.

I don't see it on his photos. How many of them are on the board?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  24. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
  25. theorw

theorw New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was on purpose man,so i would get the 5770 that i have now...+30euros ofc:toast:

It was in the case that someone needed MORE than 1,35 volts...Anyway i dont need the hard mod since its very nice via software

Look at the bottom and see if u cand find the vdd/vddq
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/3.html