1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIS slips up, announces ETA of HD6000 series cards!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Formula350, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well another case of "I can't post in the news section, and the news isn't there....", so I bring it to you all as just another mere mortal :laugh:

This page is actually pulled ATM, as the site isn't down but you get a 'page not found' site generated error... so I decided to try my luck with GOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE cache and presto:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...t=1&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

In case that goes down (doubt it), it's an interview with HIS and here is portion...

Winston: What plans do HIS have over the next few years?
    Kenny: At present, we're concentrating on AMD/ATI Radeon 5xxx Series. We have been pushing our products with our own in-house designed coolers ... and it's selling very well. Next, we're expecting the new AMD/ATI Radeon 6xxx Series to be announced later this year around Q4 2010. After which, we will be releasing our own Radeon HD 6xxx series early next year.

Makes me curious if there is going to be a 5000 series GPU refresher (die shrink) or not...

FilipM, T3kl0rd, 3Hyuuuga and 4 others say thanks.
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    doubt there will be a die shrink this year,if there is it will be on the Radeon 6 series

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Nothing new here.

Everyone is expecting the HD6000 series to be announced Q4 '10, note that announced does not mean released.
    Also, card availability early next year is also expected. The problem is that none of this is set it stone, it is all "expected" but not set in stone.

And there will be no die shrink for the next round of GPUs, we already know that.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    While yes we all expected the 6000 series this year, but people on the nV camp expected Fermi for quite awhile and that didn't materialize till just recently!

And yea it isn't set in stone and things could change, I really don't think that AMD would let it happen after seeing what went down with nV :p Afterall it caused their shares to drop after it came out and people realized what little performance was offered :eek:

Anyways glad it was nothing new for you and I appologize that I couldn't bring some new revelation to your life, I hope you will forgive me!

5. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    They just perfected the 40nm process.

To drop down to 32nm would be very hard.

6. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Valid point heh I didn't really think much about that fact :eek:

7. Flanker

Thanks Received:
    I thought HD6xxx is just going to be testing new architectures.
    A bit like the intel tick-tock thing come to think about it :wtf:

8. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    yeah if they were going to do a 5000 series remix it would have been launched alongside fermi. since the current 5000 series cards were already priced competitively against fermi, they left it alone (as they should have) now hopefully the 6000 series brings in some new tech and of course better dx11 performance.

9. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Those slip-up's are happening so often that it gives only one thought - its done for teh marketing :D
    Anyway, HD6xxx should rock if we look at previous two series.

10. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't it going to be that the first few hd6's will be the mid range on 40nm released late 2010/early 2011, then followed up later on by the 32nm high end parts?

11. Kaiser Kraus

Kaiser Kraus

Thanks Received: