1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HL2: Episode 1: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Games' started by wtf8269, Jun 5, 2006.

1. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just finished beating it. Anyone else on here beat it yet, or am I the first?

It was nice to have a new story as opposed to playing HL2 over and over agian. (Beat it 3 times so far lol). It got kind of annoying in some spots having Alyx follow me around, but whatever. The HDR lighting implemented in the game really made things look even better than they did before. The ending when you're riding the train is amazing also. More spectacular than when the explosion went off at the end of HL2. The only thing that really truly disappointed me was that there weren't any new weapons. However, that wasn't that big of a deal.
  2. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    HL2 blows. Had the original with all sorts of expansion packs, all sucked. Had HL2, yup u guessed it, that sucked too. It looked nice but the gameplay was just shat. FarCray is much better, though its AI is crap.
  3. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol that's funny, because I think just the opposite. I thought FarCry sucked, that game has been sitting in my car for about 6 months now from when a friend gave it back to me after lending it. No offense to you or your opinion though. We're all entitled to our own.
  4. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Dont get me wrong I dont think FarCry is great, I'm just saying compared to HL2 its much better :p
  5. sadisticflirt New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would have LOVED LOVED LOVED it if Valve threw in the Combine sniper rifle! I've not beaten it yet but I love you the game! If only they could implement HDR in CS:Source as well as they did hear. I also found Alyx to be quite annoying...just in the garage though with all of the ant lions! She wouldn't run, she had to shoot every one of them! Argh!
  6. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    haha never thought id see someone complain about a gunfight :p
  7. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  8. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That post should have a big ass red spoiler warning. Oh and to sadisticflirt, they do have HDR in CS:S. It's only in a couple maps though. I know de_dust is one of them. They can only put it into the stock maps though. All the other maps it has to be done by that custom map maker.
  9. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    I edited my post just for you! :)
  10. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Nice show of new graphic tech! And for $12, a bargin at fry's! But other than that, don't become EA!
  11. sadisticflirt New Member

Thanks Received:

I know there's HDR on Dust, Militia, and Nuke. I meant the HDR is CS:Source is over saturated and buggy whereas in Episode One it is smooth and not hard on the system at all.
  12. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, alright. I wouldn't know really, I've gotten away from CS:S and more toward HL2:DM and other games.
  13. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    valve killed CS:S, that game just sucks now. the guns are over powered and makes the game to easy to play. its dead IMHO.
  14. ComradeRobbins

ComradeRobbins New Member

Thanks Received:
    Episode One was great, loved the writing. I'm just a Half-Life nut though, I've played every game and expansion that Valve has made for that series.
  15. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Back to topic of Half-life 2 episode one. Beyond City 17...which part was it...? I still find myself kinda of stuck in the damn city. Only the starting where you're in the citadel (at least i can say where i'm). I bet episode 2 is out somewhere or probably City 18? Lol...
  16. ComradeRobbins

ComradeRobbins New Member

Thanks Received:
    From the teaser trailer for Episode 2 at the end of Episode 1, it looks like you'll be fighting primarily in the wilderness against the combine, while trying to organize an offensive. The main environments shown were a forest and a cave. However, do not watch this teaser unless you want a portion of the story development spoiled.
  17. KoncreteAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    That part where you had to keep ferrying citizens across the city over and over again just seemed like something cheap they forced in to make the game longer.

Actually I was disapointed with the game, I was trusting the reviews and expected it to be a very good few hours, but it just wasnt.

No new guns or new decent enemies.

There was a plot hole. Why were the soldiers trying to blow up the reactor to die with it? Were they all suicidal?

I freaking hated the infinite ant lions in halflife 2, it was so silly and stupid, and this game brought it right back.

Also I was very disapointed by the ending. The train seemed to be moving very glitchy and unnaturally fast. Also we should of had to fight more to travel away from the reactor to at least make some realistic distance away from the thing(we were only about 6 miles away, thats not anywhere close to being a realistic safe zone.)

Also the animation on the final explosion could of been a lot better.

2 things I thought were amazing was the way the reactor was rendered. Also the part where the alien attacks your mind. That was unbelieveable. I almost felt the pain, it got my heart pounding big time. I couldnt believe how much that scared me.

Not bad though, overall 8.5/10
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2006