1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Holy Crap that was scary

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by currahee440, Jun 4, 2010.

1. currahee440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ordered a OCZ StealthXStream 600W off of newegg cuz it was relatively cheap after rebates so I thought why the hell not? Costs the same as the Antec Neo ECO I was gonna get.

Boy was I wrong.. :slap:

During boot it was fine... ran TF2 for awhile and everything was A-OK!

Napoleon total war? Computer shuts off. Tries to start then cuts off. OSH- I turn the power switch on the back of the PSU quickly to off.

I probably got a dud unit but man. I don't think I will trust any other PSU company other than Antec/Seasonic.

At least OCZ's protection worked by shutting down instead of blowing up. Could have been worse I suppose... I wonder what would have happened if I put it in a Phenom II X6 system I am building in a week. Probably would have blown up and taken everything with it. Ugh :shadedshu

And a hard lesson was learned.
  2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    ummm that PSU should run your rig without breaking a sweat did you do something wrong when you plugged everything in?
  3. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I've used a few of those stealth series by ocz at least 6 in cheaper builds all without any issues whatsoever. I'd just RMA it and give it another shot, I don't think you will be unhappy.
  4. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I use an OCZ GxS 700W and have had no issues at all. I think you got a bunk unit, RMA that thing.
  5. currahee440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    All cables were plugged in fine. I was testing it out before I put it in a more expensive machine. I'm glad I did. REALLY glad I did you have no idea how poed I would be if it zapped a new computer :laugh:

Newegg issued me a refund RMA. Do you think I should give it one more shot? Is OCZ good? Like when I ordered it the only worry I had was that it used a Capxon cap as the main cap. I've read through some reviews. People who gave it negative reviews said it died around 1-2 years.. so I'm a little weary at the moment...
  6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    then get a modxtreme pro why by the cheapest thing from any manuf? if you want to call companies parts crappy there is the antec basiq or the earthwatts series that are garbage.
  7. currahee440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right. That "garbage" you mentioned the Earthwatts series is what I have in my computer right now and it is running strong. Given that it's a $75 power supply (the OCZ unit)- we may have differing ideas on what "cheap" is but to me a $75 power supply isn't "cheap" when I could have gotten a $15 power supply rated at "600" Watts.

After some reconsideration I think I'll give it one more shot :) I hope I don't get a similar unit from the same batch... eek. lol.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    you rig doesn't even pull 300w of course that PSU is going to be fine....
  9. currahee440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Slightly off topic. How do you like your Phenom II X6? the new system I am building is going to be using that chip- and was supposed to be powered by this PSU.
    I generally leave a lot of headroom for my power supplies.
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    well i did this on air so i like it

[​IMG]

and as far as headroom 4GPUs on my 850w Tt so if you wanna see a PSU pushed that would be it
  11. currahee440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I originally was gonna get a 450W PSU but I was told that it would have been a little weak for what I was getting and I thought the same so I got a 600W instead. I'm pretty sure a good 400W would have done it but meh.
  12. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    skimmed through, and Saw something about earthwatts and garbage... Earthwatts are great Power Supplies, up to EA650, for the price. Perhaps not as good as the TX line or CX or VX lines from Corsair, but pretty damn close for what you are paying.

Antec EA has always had a good reputation, and for a good reason
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    When it comes to PSU's people have funny ideas of what is garbage and not. :(

I'd say try the OCZ out.
  14. currahee440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've decided to give OCZ the benefit of the doubt. After all nothing is 100% perfect. And the MSRP is $100. No way is a $100 going to fail that easily. Probably just a dud unit. I'm gonna try it out again. The only PSU I've ever had was this Antec and it would be short sighted of me to stay with Antecs until I die. So I wanted to try something out hence this OCZ :)
  15. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I vote with the RMA to. That sounds about right.
  16. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Bummer man! Never had any issue with OCZ PSU's even when overloaded, have a 600gxsp running in my cousins/uncles flight sim rig almost 1yr fault free....
  17. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    If its not an Antec Signature series, I dont want it...Antec was solid, but some of their NEO/Earthwatts series and others were almost crap.

You almost cant go wrong with Corsair's entire line...

Not a fan of OCZ's either. Another thrown in the pot of mediocrity.
  18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Funny thing is ocz uses the same oem as corsair in the better ocz units...and they are rated just as high
  19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  20. currahee440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This was a bit ago so it seems this got resurrected and my question in the other thread is what happens when your PSU takes other components to death while this was more of a what happened? :wtf: dealio. It's just some thought I had that I didn't want to double post or anything. I'll keep it in mind though to consolidate questions that I may have.

And to the other guys- I've given this OCZ PSU another chance. Had Newegg switch to a replacement RMA.

No offense but I think you can only go with so much money for quality after a point you pay a ridiculous premium for incremental advantages. After the main filter cap is already of high quality there's only little to improve on to guarantee it doesn't light up. Say what you want Earthdog, but my Earthwatts PSU has been working quite well for me- the only complaint I have is that it uses a 80mm fan and there are no vent holes on the bottom so cooling is pretty much a nightmare now.
  21. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i have an ocz gamextreme 700w and sometimes when i unplug it when moving, then plug it back in it'll do that start up then shut off thing, but i just press the power button again and she keeps rolling just fine. Never got any problems out of it; didn't think it was a problem personally.
  22. currahee440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    But see my problem was that it shut itself off while I was playing a game. The BIOS is set to automatically reboot whenever power is cut off so when the fuse reset itself I'm assuming- the PSU powered back on and so did my computer.
    While the display was fine- the one major issue I had was that the power on LED was flickering. That's not normal and clearly something was fluctuating. So I RMAed it.
  23. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought the stealth series was repackaged FSP's strapped up to put more out... that's why they are cheap. :/
  24. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Err? Proof please, I can't find that. TX/HX both use Seasonic...
  25. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh and am not bashing FSP, just OCZ :p

Still have a FSP 350w going strong since the amd xp days with it's massive 120mm fan xD, everything after from FSP ie bluestorm are pants even FSP know that. :)