1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

home based web server

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sil3ntSnip3a, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Sil3ntSnip3a New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys, my computer programming teacher gave me a domain name server used at our school. it is older, made up of a pentium iii. it has an adaptec scsi controller. 512mb of server ram and 2 18 gigabyte ibm 10,000 rpm hot-swappable hard drives. one of them doesn't work, i can't figure it out... it almost recognizes it, but it won't allow it to be used.

here are some pictures of the scsi controller settings.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

this is what happens on the drive that is working fine,

[​IMG]

and this with the one that is recognized, but not available for storage.

[​IMG]

and here is the code i get with the hard drive in the scsi adapter post basically...

[​IMG]

i want to use this as a home web server if i can get the second drive working. i'll upload ubuntu server on it and use it as a home based web server!

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    this seems like a hardware problem to me so moving to general hardware where you will get more help.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    looks like one of the drives has failed

4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm agree with Batou. Looks like that HD is done SCSI'ing.
    "Not Ready" usually indicates the drive is not spinning up, or is not indicating that it is up to speed.
    Probably time to do a little shopping in the BST section ;)

5. Sil3ntSnip3a New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://ask.adaptec.com/scripts/adapt...11&p_topview=1

some guy over at XS sent me this way. people have reported that it worked for them. it didn't work for me. i think it is safe to say that the drive is toast.

so

i have this pentium iii with 512k mb of ecc ram & 2x 18 10,000rpm scsi drives. it used to be a domain name server for my school. i can't get the one drive to work though. then i have a small form factor, old school, pentium 4 1.80ghz, 480mb of ram, 29 gig hard drive; no clue the speed on the drive. i think it is safe to say that the older domain name server will perform better.

what do you guys think? i just want to get a small forum/blog/website up. thats all i plan on doing with it right now. running ubuntu 10.04lts server edition x32

i would also like to set up a file server and a printer server with these, but are they even beefy enough for a file server?

6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    29 gigs and your CPU/RAM is plenty if you install an OS with a small footprint.

Crunching for Team TPU