1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Home data server build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nick89, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I would like to build a server and connect it to my home network for the specific purpose of dumping data onto.

The server would sit in the corner of my room with no peripherals. I was thinking of using a linux distro but I have no idea which one to use for such a task. I have never used linux before.

Also whats the lowest power processor I could use? I was thinking an Intel Atom possibly but I'm not sure if it would be powerful enough.

The HDD I want to use:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136456

Possible processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698

Suggestions for cases are welcome also, but I would like them to be as small as possible.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    I'd recommend this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101262

We use several of these as Pfsense firewalls at our datacenter. They have a single 3.5 inch bay, but if your only looking for it to act as a File server, thats fine. It has an Atom 330, my new favorite Proc, Dual core with HT, meaning Linux will see 4 cores. 2 Real, 2 HT. So it's powerfull enough to host quiet a few things. It's nice and quiet as well.

Also there's a good combo deal with Ram and Seagate 1.5TB HD 7200.11

It's a short 1U, meaning its fairly small, and not that deep in design. I'd also check out some of the other Bare bone Atom rigs that support 3.5 inch drives.

Nick89 says thanks.
  3. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    The only problem is it only has one 3.5 bay. I'll look at the others.

4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Why not dump a hard drive into an existing rig and share the drive through Windows?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    Better watch out havin' that handle....walk into your house--grab that handle and go with all your data. :laugh:

6. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    My PC gets a virus, Power consumption, Quiet. Can be used for backups for all computers in the house. Its more or less going to be a dedicated shared drive.

I don't leave my main rig on 24/7 because its a power hog, and its loud. I put it in sleep mode when I goto bed. Not all the computers in my house are turned on 24/7.

I mainly want to use it as a data backup server. In case anything happens to my rig.

If anyone walks into my house who is uninvited and have bad intentions they can say hello to my SAIGA 12 semi auto shotgun. They get one warning to GTFO.:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received: