• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Home Server CPU/Mobo Advice?

System Name HP Z800
Processor Intel Xeon X5560 @2.8 GHz (dual processor)
Motherboard HP
Cooling OEM
Memory 6x Hynix PC3-10700 4GB ECC Buffered RAM, 24GB total
Video Card(s) Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 465 (SLI)
Storage Dual RAID0 Western Digital 10K RPM SAS drives
Display(s) 1x Samsung 27" LCD, 1x Samsung 24" LED
Case HP
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Xi-Fi
Power Supply 1.1KW HP Power Supply
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Hi guys,

I'm in the market to build a home server. I've been using my high-power, dual-processor xeon machine to download rather large files (both over bittorrent and downloading large analysis files from work) and to essentially act like an FTP/Media/HTTP server to make my media and documents available over the local network at home and over the internet. I've been having to leave this thing on a couple of nights and besides causing a mini-brownout whenever I turn the thing on, my electric bill is starting to get out of hand...

I'm looking to build a (somewhat) lower power machine that I can stick next to the router and leave it always on to manage my downloads and act as a file/media server. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best CPU (since I don't really want to spend a lot on this build). I was looking at potentially an i3 but I'm thinking that may be overkill for what I want to do. I was also looking at the pentium and the atom, but I don't really have any experience with either of those processors to know what to expect in terms of performance.

My main requirements for the motherboard is that it has gigabit LAN and it has the built-in Intel RAID (rapid storage manager). I use the built-in LSI SAS RAID for the system disk and the Intel RAID for my documents and have been very happy with the performance of both of those (I've tried some cheaper RAID cards in the past, like $50 or $60 from fry's, and they gave me nothing but grief). It also may be nice to have a few PCI slots to support potentially throwing in a few higher quality RAID controllers in the future. Everything else I'm not too picky about.