1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Home Server/HTPC on Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Covert_Death, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Covert_Death

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I am hoping you can help me with a few problems I have been having with my home server/ HTPC.

First let me explain my setup: I have an HTPC running on Windows 7 that runs 24/7 hooked up to my TV. I also have a 2TB HDD in the computer that I am TRYING to get to act as a network HDD. The computer is wired to my ASUS N56R router. I run PLEX on the HTPC as well.

I have selected to share the second HDD on the HTPC by right clicking it and going to the share tab and giving FULL permissions to "everyone".

I am able to map the drive on my main desktop and it shows up just fine and I am able to navigate the shared HDD just fine but when it comes to actually transferring files (either from PC to PC or even relocating a file on the same drive from my other computer) it shows the progress bar and says "Scanning" but never actually proceeds to move files, it hangs and locks up I can't even play media files across computers once I navigate to them again it just hangs.

if you have any suggestions for me to modify OR any alternate ways to accomplish this without buying a new hardware or software please let me know! i feel like my files should just move since I have everything mapped and can navigate the folders.

Thanks for any advice!

2. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    I amnot expert but I guess the permissions in the router make them hanging. Just need to do the setup there but don't aks me how I can't even setup IP in a router.

Covert_Death says thanks.
  3. Covert_Death

Thanks Received:
    that's actually not a bad Idea, I didn't check router firewall settings...

4. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    You could also go into the Advanced sharing options for the HDD and make sure the changes are filtering down to all the subfolders and files.

5. Covert_Death

Thanks Received:
    what exactly am I looking for under advanced sharing that would indicate to me whether the settings are passing down or not?

6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Do all your PCs have W7?

7. Covert_Death

Thanks Received:
    win 7 on the HTPC and win 8.1 on the Desktop

8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    And you set the group password correctly?

9. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    To check if the permissions did apply to the everything else check the security tab of a subfolder and a file that you were trying to access.

10. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    You could just do remote desktop to your server and then just copy and paste your files to the folder you want.

11. Covert_Death

Thanks Received:
    hey guys thanks for all the suggestions...

I guess what I'm really looking for is basically a NAS for the second hard drive. I want all my computers to be able to see it (which they can) and be able to add / remove / read all the files on the HDD. I am starting to think Win7 just isn't cut out for it even though the feature is staring me in the face its just too buggy and inconsistent to work. :/

12. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Just a thought, but you could try creating the exact account (with the same password) your HTPC uses on the computers you are trying to access the files from and map a network drive using those credentials.