1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Home theatre speakers on a budget

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pinchy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im looking at getting a cheap 5.1 speaker system for the HTPC that will be going in my lounge room. I dont want anything special though and most importantly, nothing expensive. The TV is only a 32" HDTV, so its not THAT big.

I am looking at something like the Logitech X530/540 (difference?). They cost $70/80 respectively.

Other thoughts are the Creative 5300 for $80 or T6100 for $90.

I really wanted the Logitech Z5500's, but they are waaaay too expensive :p.

I dont want 7.1 - 5.1 is enough as there are two TV speakers which will be attached as well.

My plan is to get two cheapo satellite speaker stands off ebay for the front 2 speakers, have the centre on top of the TV with the TV speakers and mount the back two speakers to the back of the room in the corners.

Considering what I want...what should I get :D? Any other suggestions that arent expensive and avaliable in Aus?

2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    X-530 is a great unit, I had one, VERY nice sound. Not sure about the 540 though. I would say the 530's.

3. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Unless you have a high end TV you probably want to turn the volume down or the sound off on the TV. Most TVs have garbage speakers and if your surround system sounds good, having the TVs speakers on will make it sound worse.

4. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    Hey Pinch,
    I dont know how the logitechs sound,BUT, i have a set of these http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/altec215/ with the rears mounted on DSE stands(silver) which i would part with for $80
    pm if interested...speakers located at central coast.(price includes stands)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  5. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

:roll:

Stay away from cheap analogue speakers, especially if they are plastic and computer speakers, plastic junk I call them. The logitech Z-5500 are decent but they are old and overpriced for their specification. Get some old wooden book shelf speakers. Maybe two at first, then in a few months get a another pair, then a center and slowly build your system. I'm guessing you have an AV receiver?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OG88KY/?tag=tec06d-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OG6I6A/?tag=tec06d-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OG4E20/?tag=tec06d-20

Edit:

Without a receiver your stuck with regular computer speakers, get whatever you can afford I doubt there would be a noticeable quality difference. Hard to tell between average quality and mediocre quality.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  6. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    No av receiver.

If I wanted high end speakers, I would have gotten high end speakers. Its not the fact that I can't afford a surround sound system, its the fact that for the amount of use the lounge room gets, its not worth spending more than $100 on a speaker system.

Hey dude. Thx for the offer but not really interested in used stuff :)

7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Price is what lead me to buy the Logitech X-530 5.1 set. IIRC the 540 is a newer version with a remote thingy for the 5.1 as well.

I have to say I have done some loud gaming, movie watching, and music playing. The sound stays just as clean even at higher volumes.

For a budget set, I would point you towards the logitech's you had first pondered!

8. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Fruitcake here. I have my PC hooked up to a 1980 (something) REALISTIC Receiver with a set of decent speakers. I found the receiver in a dumpster and I love it (although brasso can't get some of the stains out...) and the speakers came in a home theater set that I paid 80ish for on my birthday last year. That's pretty much all I can afford per year. XD!!

My brother has a logitec he got for 75 dollars( the guy bought it at EB! :\). Before I replaced my receiver it put my home theatre system to shame. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121126 oh it's only 55. o.o

It has great sound for the money. Get an equalizer and it rocks.