1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Homework help

Discussion in 'General Software' started by BarbaricSoul, Apr 30, 2012.

1. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone. I'm currently taking online classes to get my BA in Network Administration. I decided I would come to you people to ask for advice on my assignments. Now I'm not looking for you people to do my work for me, but I am asking for suggestions on which points to hit on my assignment. Tonight's assignment is as follows-

Now I'm planning on suggesting Windows 7 Professional as the main OS while also having Windows 8 beta set-up on VMs. The main reason for this is compatability. How better to insure OS compatability than to use the current retail OS and the next generation OS for the development base. What would be some other reasons to want to use 7 for the purpose of this assignment?

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the target platform for the games the company develops?
    Without that information it's a complete crap shoot.

3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    That's all the information given on the assignment. I'm assuming it's Window's based PC games.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Just my opinion, Windows OS would be my choice, good support, updated regularly, in wide use, and has excellent hardware/software compatibility.

You should be developing the game for cross-platform use.
    Windows(desktop & mobile), Android(ARM & mips), Net based, JAVA, C (your choice of variety), consoles, etc.
    Look at Angry Birds. A lot of other companies of games utilities, anti-virus, and so-on are following suite.
    And, most of the languages/code sources are supporting developers with the tools under a windows environment.

The OS you choose is not going to necessarily be the one you are developing for.
    It will need to be able to support and be compatible with the tools (ex. hardware, software, etc. whether emulated or real) you need for development of the game.
    :)

EDIT:

Actually, I have read complete books of over 500 pages that never completely cover these things.
    Get plenty of coffee (or, your drink of choice), and munchies... yoz iz goin' to be busy.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I think, as others have stated, this "game" company needs to create the current game for cross platform usage. With that being said, and giving the class assignment statement above, the company needs to run their systems on more than one single OS. Using both Windows and Linux would allow the program modules to be tested in both environments. This will ensure that the game being developed will work with both OS' giving the company a much better ROI in the end.

I had a very similar question in my web development class and my classmates that I was working with on a team agreed. We decided to put forth a multiple base ensuring that the application would work on several different browsers. Of course that was for developing a web based application, however this could be brought over to answering your question as well.

Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU