1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HOORAY! Finally Ordered My New Build! Quad Core Baby!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trowand, Aug 16, 2007.

1. trowand New Member

Thanks Received:
    My present PC is now 3.5 years old. I built it myself and it was a pretty high end system way back then but it's been getting a little long in the tooth. So I've been drooling over the idea of a quad core system for months. I finally just ordered my new build and I'm sooo freakin' psyched! I can't wait to get everything and hopefully a bunch of free time to put it all together. Here's what I got...

Q6600
    Asus P5K Premium mobo... "Aargh Matey! 'Tis The Black Pearl Edition!"
    2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066
    ATI X1950Pro 512MB PCI-E (Hey, it was only $153!)
    Scythe Infinity HSF (It's a MONSTER)
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad "Crossfire Edition" PSU

I'm using my old...
    Samsung 500GB SATA2 HDD
    Hitachi 160GB SATA HDD
    SB Audigy 2ZS
    Plextor PX-712 DVD-R/W
    Sony CD-R/W
    SilverStone TJ02 case
    Some other stuff, blah blah blah

I've already received my Q6600, P5K Premium "Black Pearl Edition" and Crucial Ballistix. That motherboard is sooo PRETTY! Oh my god, I was drooling over it. All that copper gave me a giant woody! I think I'm going to sleep with it tonight...:p

2. tony929292

tony929292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice system r u going to overclock it

3. rugrider

rugrider New Member

Thanks Received:
    I heard that beast overclocks like crazy, and with that cooler you should rock.

4. trowand New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys. Yes, I'll definitely OC but I've heard overclocking the Quad Cores is a little tougher. I'm really looking forward to it. Yeah, I'm psyched to have that CPU, PSU, Mobo, Cooler combo. I'm dying to see what she'll do.

5. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    nice setup man, that psu is overkill but it will last for a few upgrades...

I hope your saving for another X1950 so you can have crossfire!!!

6. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Run cpu-z and tell us what stepping q6600 you have. G0 is best, you can get 3.7-3.9 ghz on air, and that seems to be the average max overclock on air. Water is better, and with phase change and TEC :respect::respect:

7. rick22

rick22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice stuff but why would you buy the 1950 card...your will have a LEXUS compupter with a DODGE video card..don't get me wrong the 1950 pro is a good card but ????

8. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, the viper can kick any Lexus's ass in a race. But besides the point, it's not that bad of a card. It's like getting a corvette, but instead of having a 6 speed manual, you get the 4 speed auto XD

9. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    wow...disturbing images haha

and lol at chang and all the comments in this thread for that matter haha

10. trowand New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just couldn't swing the cost of a high end DX10 card. I don't plan on getting Vista anytime soon. Plus although I love gaming, I haven't had the time to devote to gaming for the past year and a half with three little kids running around the house so a high end card wasn't that much of a priority. ALSO I got it for a killer price. ONLY $153! I saved forever to afford those parts. I'll wait until some DX10 games show up or maybe hold out for the next generation of GPUs to come out.

11. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    That will be a nice set up... I wish i would have got another x1950pro when mine stopped. RIP x1950pro you served me well even if it was only for a short time.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heck yea, there's not a real rush on DX10 in a practical sense. There's all those rumors of DX10.1 or whatnot so that trusty 1950 will do ya good. You just gotta tell us how overclocking that quad goes!

13. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd take a good dodge over a good lexus anyday ;)

Charger RT/Challenger + HEMI FTW :rockout:

14. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dunno... once you've driven a Lexus, it's pretty hard to drive anything else :laugh:

15. MarcusTaz

MarcusTaz

Thanks Received:
    Nice man you will just love a Quad, OCing or not, the thing can multitask like no other. I have had mine for approx a month and I still am excited everyday I turn it on. I am an avid gamer and PC user and anything I throw at this rig it just handles with a breeze. I have the P5WDH Deluxe, known not to OC that well with the 975X, but I love the features it has especially the remote control, no more opening my P180 to hit the power button, lol... Anyway I have my B3 OCed to 3,4GHZ and that is all I need. I have a G0 stepping on the way to check it out and see if I can sucessfully get a 400FSB @ 3.6 stable... We shall see and I will post back and let you know.

SHould have gone the 2900XT lol....

16. TXcharger

TXcharger New Member

Thanks Received:
    once youve driven in a HEMI its pretty hard to drive anything else :)

solid build bro! that QC is gonna totally dominate that X1950!

17. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Super Sweet man, cant wait to see the final product.

18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1950 is the only weakness, to be honest. Although that depends what resolution you game at, since you havent mentioned your monitor.

Oh and the quad wont dominate the 1950 :p its still gunna clock lower than a C2D would have, so its gunna be fairly even til more quad core games come out :D (i'm in the same boat with that, early adopting ftw!)

19. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    i loved my x1950 (as in liked it) there was nothing that would slow it down when it was overclock till one day 3dmark 06 put it in its place... :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol....my dad hasn't driven a Lexus, but he owns a Toyota (close enough to Lexus, unless you like a Lexus for the goodies). His first car was a 1980's (or early 90's) Honda Accord manual 4 cyl compete with sunroof. He could out accelerate a V6 due to the manual, so in a word manual is better, and Lexus doesn't offer manual (I think). Also, he said that he felt like it was connected to the car. He's convinced it was the seat, but I'm thinking it was also the clutch feel along with the pedals (but I was too young to remember the car well, but since he felt that good in it, that's also what I think), also the steering. Also, getting in a car with horsepower and a manual, no way you could like a Lexus, unless you hate feeling little bumps.

On topic: stop bashing the x1950 pro, it'll run modern dx9 games well with nice eye candy. I'm sure he plans to upgrade eventually.

21. rugrider

rugrider New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since you dont game, that card should do you nice. My only thought is that the card may cause your system to bottleneck, but like you said you dont game so you should be fine. I currently use the 1950 xt and it does very nice. There are just enough DX10 games out that would justify buying a DX10 card.:banghead:

22. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Nice setup m8.....an 8800 would have made it that bit nicer ;)

EDIT: Ooops, just seen that you dont game.....that X1950Pro will be more then enough for you :)

23. trowand New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I just found out that my processor (according to TigerDirect's site) is a B3 stepping.:( CRAP! Yeah, I used to game a LOT but that takes time and with three little kids to help take care of my wife won't allow it... DOUBLE CRAP! But I do a lot of photo and video editing and DVD authoring using PhotoShop and Premiere and Nero. So I hope to see major speed gains in those tasks. The last of my gear showed up today but it may still be a while before I get the time/chance to build it. I'll take pictures when I do and post them. I can't wait!

24. MarcusTaz

MarcusTaz

Thanks Received:
    B3 is not that bad mate, no worries, and for photo and video editing all I can say is OH YEA! Rendering will be incredibly fast now....

25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    B3 and G0 are the same in the end, its just that a G0 would get 200MHz higher at the same temps - better cooling on a B3 will get the same as a G0 would on weaker cooling.