1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Horrible pictures of dead caps

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by trodas, Sep 8, 2007.

1. trodas

trodas

Thanks Received:
    synaesthesia - welcome here then! You will find many interesting informations there ;) But not at all optimistic, tough.

ste2425 -
    Easy. Use ONLY hardware with qualite not fake caps, and do not let them overheat.
    The catch - you have to go cap by cap and you have to be able to spot/replace fakes. No-one can do it, as they come with more and more fakes each day.
    So I recap my HW and that it is. It works :)

Mussels -
    Pic by any chance? :eek:

lemonadesoda -
    :laugh: ...better avoid this politic jokes there, it might lead where no-one want to be... :slap:

This will NOT stop them. It can only slow the death, and not by very much anyway. There are already posted examples with bulging caps that come on right from the store hardware. I think you get the message... Of course old bad caps even not used die also.
    Some even explode when used... happen to me. It was LOUD. I lost my hearing for some time...
    Do NOT try it at home. If you see bulging cap, power off the machine now and never start it, till replaced. You can seriously hurt your ears or get shoot my the can flying towards you at high speed.
    If cap can can punch thru a PCB or ceiling, it can punch you hard too. In eye it might be very well fatal.

tkpenalty -
    Sure thing. When these fake polymers explode, then the can punch itself into a ceiling... so we already know what this is capable off... Remember that it is the hydrogen that power the explosion and the same stuff fly Space Shuttle to orbit... or to death as Challenger did.

False. Never ever.
    Polymers have own casing, easily to distinguish. Some old Fujitsu polymers are just looking like a yellow elyte cap, even with the perforation witch cap of THIS size always have.
    [​IMG]
    However todays are the polymers made as sleevless ventless caps that are easy to spot on. Of course you can't trust not established brands, as with elytes.
    Just check the Samxon URL for example there: http://capsmod.net/caps/

synaesthesia and ste2425 say thanks.
  2. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    very informative :D but how exactly do you replace them? which type of caps are they called? do u get?

3. synaesthesia New Member

Thanks Received:
    They all have the ratings your need to look out for, typically volts (obvious, v) and micro-farads, µF.
    Replacing like for like is the safest way but I'm just starting to look at replacing with higher value caps, not something I'll advise on yet as I'm still learning my way around it :)

4. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    a right ok :D wat would be the benifits of replacing with higher caps? would it makes your pc faster? or allow for higher speeds if overclocking etc? This sorta stuf really intregues me :p

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no it'd simply stop them exploding and killing the PC.

ste2425 says thanks.
  6. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    a right ok

7. trodas

trodas

Thanks Received:
    Simple. Long lifetime (15 years guaranted+++), a slightly faster PC (about 1sec on 49sec SuperPi 1M run) and of course notably higher overclocking ;)

Only, of course, if you do a good job and use a good caps with notably better specs. Eg. Vcore Samxon GC/GA, all important caps GC/rest GD/GK... ;)
    Same goes for Rubycon MCZ (like GC) and MBZ (like GD), however they have no match against GA :D Only Nichicon HZ come par-to-par, but good luck sourcing them :laugh:

8. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    lol ok i didnt understand half of that but cheers

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    me neither. the one about a faster PC is wrong however, there is no way in hell a capcitor alters MHz or system speed.

10. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried?

better/cleaner Voltage can only improve overall performance

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no... it cant. i've done many Vmods to many things, and its completely baffling as to how you think it makes things faster.

By that logic, altering the voltage to my CPU through the bios settings would make it faster, or increasing my ram voltages... it doesnt happen. you might be able to overclock a little better due to the stable voltages, but its not going to make anything faster by simply swapping a capacitor.

12. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    why are people so ignorant?

i said better/cleaner voltage, NOT more voltage :shadedshu

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    find me some proof then. I'm merely saying thats the only way it'd make a difference.
    How on earth can CLEANER voltage make any difference to a CPU. answer that. educate me, find proof, a link, some person or group of people other than yourself who also claim the same thing.

tkpenalty says thanks.
  14. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    this post proves just how ignorant you truly are.

good day :D

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no it just makes you seem like a troll.
    i've done electrical engineering courses and what you're saying makes no sense, and you're refusing to offer anything to prove your case.

Good day to you as well, fine sir.

16. trodas

trodas

Thanks Received:
    I must say I did not believe it myself as well. Before I actually measured it.
    So I can't blame others for not believing in. But I can show proof - Abit KD7-G mobo, before recap SuperPi 1M test in 49.735 sec:

[​IMG]

After recap SuperPi 1M test in 48.969 sec:

[​IMG]

(SuperPi was run both times from terminal, so the results could be somewhat slower for 2332Mhz AthlonXP-M with Barton core)

0,766 is more that 3/4 of second! That is a hell lot of difference. It could be, probably, attributed to the fact, that MBZ Rubycons are nothing like Samxons GA I used to replace them. Also the imput Vcore caps, Rubycon ZL was 1200uF and I replaced them with 1500uF GC Samxons. Both can attribute to the positive change.

And the most shocking thing? Before recap I need 1.725Vcore to run the AXP-M 2500+ Prime stable. Now I can run it happily at 1.700Vcore...!!! (I tried the SuperPi tests in both voltages, there are some fluctuations with the times, but never less it fluctuate between 0,5 to 0,76 sec improve against Rubycon MBZ caps. I did not tried to go futher down with the Vcore, as the gain seems consistent with my Abit ST6-R experience - changed Vcore from Panny FM to Samxon GC, can do down with Vcore by 0,025V too - and I'm tired today.

In almost ALL of the 100+ recapping threads there:
    http://capsmod.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
    We measure the CPU speed after recap and it consistently show speed-up. This cannot be coincidence. I don't know what micro errors / recoverable errors slow the CPU down and I again must reassure you all that I never believed it at first... but when every my machine I recapped show this behaviour and speed-up, well... I come to conclusion that cleaner voltage helps.

It is kinda like the burn-in of opamps in my X-Fi. I never played too much with the audio stuff before and I was in great doubt about the "burn-in" when come to silicone components. I simply can't figure out the reason why this can be happening, so I sort of dismiss the claims... till I experienced it myself.
    After the replacement it was too harsh the sound - overblow in the detail - but now it is fine. It took like 2 - 3 days and - like the speed-up - I again lack the definitive physical answer about why is this happening.

God damned, the silicone should either work or not, there should be no ongoing processes within it... But these are so obviously present.

So believe it or not, I honestly could not care less.
    You migth be like me - you never believe, till you experience it yourself.

intel igent and Mussels say thanks.
  17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    now thats a useful post.

Intel Igent: you seriously just came off as a troll, and an ass. Trodas gave exactly the information required to prove the point, unlike you. he offered his own personal experience and proof as well as a link to a group of people who also did the same things, with the same results.

18. synaesthesia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting stuff, Trodas.
    I think I've experienced a similar speed up myself, but I think I put it down to random speed difference :) - I've never really thought of it like that.

I'm not a (qualified) electrical engineer but from an IT angle, when something isn't getting a "clean" current or voltage the entire system regulates (and throttles) itself - the entire smooth operation of a system such a computer is reliant on compensation, just like there isn't always 240v (or 110v) from your mains socket or 15amps from your main ring (obviously dependant on where you are or the type of installation, just an example). So, if a component is getting a more stable current, it's not having to compensate or throttle itself to stay stable.

And of course, that's the job of many of the capacitors on the motherboards :)

19. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ mussels : why would i have to re-post and link you to the same thread you are reading right now to prove my point? the information you were asking of me is/was right in front of you ;)

:toast:

20. trodas

trodas

Thanks Received:
    Tagan TG430-U15 PSU, Jenpo caps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

User norcio from OCW forum.

21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

these bad caps/good caps?

22. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
  23. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
  24. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    so recap it. it's not hard.

25. Carcenomy

Carcenomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds awfully like a whole pile of Socket A gear I've seen recently.

"My computer is flaking out!" complained one dude. Popped the side off and all but six capacitors were either bulging or already vented - top quality Soltek KT400 gear right there, GSC caps.

Another geezer turned up with an EPoX board of the same vintage, CPU caps were all swelled up. And another Soltek, KT333 based, same issue again. AND another Soltek, nForce2 based...

I'll get some shots up later.