1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

horrible vista problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by silkstone, Feb 14, 2009.

1. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I just got a problem with vista x64. I have no idea what to do apart from re-install.
    On every load my desktop and start menu crashes, no errors or anything come up but i'm unable to click on anything on the desktop or start menu, i can;t even open the start menu or sys tray.
    This only happens about 2 mins after windows is booted so i can open some programs and after alt-tab to what i need. But this is a real annoying problem, i've tried disabling all startup programs but it didn't help. any ideas guys? i really can't be arsed re-installing vista again.

I tried uninstalling Avira and installed Avast in it's place but still have the same problem. only other items i have running are CCC and Memset and the logitech keyboard program.

I can't even open the task manager - ctrl,alt/del works but it won;t open the program. When i shut down the desktop magically comes back to life about a second before it closes windows.

2. Charper2013

Charper2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try a reinstall. Keep us updated!

3. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem before few months .... IE loaded one script from a web page ....
    it was like a virus , and it could be cured , by only one software in the planet .

I believe that it was a scam of them who had write the software " cure "

Called as "super anti virus " or something like that ..

My symptoms was .... explorer.exe was crashing every 8 - 10 seconds , restarted it self and crash ... restart ... and so on .

silkstone says thanks.
  4. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    The only things i can suggest is a system restore and if that doesnt work reinstall.

5. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can try this cure ...

6. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I 2nd on system restore, try it before messing around with the registry.

7. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Figured out it's definetly a script.
    It's only happening when i open google chrome which is my main browser and usually the first thing i open. IE is fine and using that now. I'm going to try and delete all offline content if that doesn't work i'll uninstall chrome and re-install. i doubt system restore would work for a script.

Funny Avast and Avir didn't pick anything up at all. 2 full system scans and nothing!

I can't use the task manager as soon as this occurs, any newly opened programs are automaticall locked (unclickable!)

8. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Update

Clearing the browser cach seemed to work - just opened chrome now and the error hasn't come back....yet.
    That's a nasty little virus/malware, i have no idea how it got on as i use the same websites everyday. i must have got it from a mistyped address!

Also getting this error a lot, anyone know what it is?? (from event manager)

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Also errors with system time and Nero :( damn i just re-installed vista 3 weeks ago

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    root\CIMV2 its the default name space for scripting .

Administrative Tools --> Computer management -->services & applications --> WMI (right click )-->Properties --> Advanced .

How to cure it ....
    So me times by just entering at Administrative Tools --> Component Services --> My computer ( module ) --> Com & applications ... System notifies you about possible name space issues by it self ... asking you to let the system to fix the problem by it self .

I said yes .. :laugh: and sorted out by it self . ;)

silkstone says thanks.
  10. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Damn the same problem just happened again after closing and re-opening Chrome. I'll try uninstalling tomorrow to see if that works.
    Thx for the help so far guys

11. Supreme0verlord

Thanks Received:
    I would also recommend getting Spybot S&D and run a full scan. I had that exact same problem, but the only way I could fix it was by reinstalling windows.

Edit: Now I remember what I had, it was called Virtumonde.sdn and even Spybot couldn't get rid of it, just kept coming back.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
    kiriakost says thanks.
  12. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yap that was it ....

13. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    There is no component services icon in administrative tools :(

-I'm getting spybot now, hopefully this will find the problem and i can find a fix

14. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    On your signature you have Windows 7 .... on your post you said Vista 64 ..

I am by Microsoft, a certified person ... but if you do not say what you really have , i am unable to help.

Ok .. try this ..... windows\System32\comexp.msc or comexp.exe

Or ......................WINDOWS\system32\Com\ comexp.msc

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  15. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Sorry i did have windows 7, but re-installed vista. Haven;t updated my profile thanks for reminding me. (Things have been hectic - Just moved house and had chinese new year to celebrate)

Anyway, spybot found nothing, and it seems to be working again this morning, even when i open google. Strange, very strange. Here is a pic of what my desktop looks like when the error happens.
    I can alt-tab between programs but the only program which is usable when this happens is chrome.

Attached Files:

16. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok its a messy situation ... check my message above . and try to locate the console.

17. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Ok i got component services up, but no system notification. I manually set the folder to cimv2 thru computer management>WMI, maybe that fixed it but i doubt it.

Attached Files:

• com.jpg
      com.jpg
      File size:
      91.1 KB
      Views:
  18. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Remember the Leonidas , he had only 300 but he kicked allot " enemy s" ... :laugh:

Any way ... i have something in mind ... as test .. like to remove your VGA driver .. and test with the windows default ... i do not know why , but something tells me that its a VGA related problem than windows bug.

19. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I'll give it a go now. Error just occurred again :(
    Damn this thing is annoying, only happens after i open Google chrome tho.

20. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Just uninstalled the display driver - still got the same problem. The system becomes re-usable as soon as i close chrome. Going to uninstall it now

21. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Update

Uninstalled google chrome and then restarted and reinstalled. Same problem. Im stumped :confused:
    Guess i'll just use IE from now on

22. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Like i said earlier try system sytem restore.

23. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Restore to an earlier state before you had experienced the problem. Or as a final/last resort solution reformat.

24. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I'll try system restore next. It's just that i'd like to know what's causing the problem in the first place so if it happens again i know what to do or can avoid it completely. I have a feeling it's something to do with the office live plugin that i installed yesterday.

25. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Nope system restore didn't work at all same problem. and i lost all my recent updates :(

[Edit - Ok i didn;t loose anything, just undid the restore]

Damn this is an annoying problem - Guess i'm stuck with IE for the time being

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009