1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Horrifically slow wireless, please help.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by blackbird307, Feb 11, 2011.

1. blackbird307 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Websites load very slowly on my laptop, but that's not the worst part. My download speeds top out at 9kb/s but that's wrong because it actually takes much longer than that to download something. What I mean is that a 600kb file will take an hour to download even though it says 10kb/s. When did these problems start? I don't know, I ignored it up until now, but I do know it started after I reinstalled windows. I am sure it is wireless issue because when I plug in a cable it goes MUCH faster, like mb/s downloads. I am 100% sure it's not a spyware issue either because its a fresh install. I suspected the wireless driver but I installed atleast 5 different versions from asus, after removing them. PLEASE HELP.

2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Have you rebooted the wireless router? They slow down inbetween reboots.
    Did you update the firmware on the wireless router?
    What type of router is is?
    What model Asus laptop do you have?

3. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    What 802.11 standard are you using?

4. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried having Windows installing the wireless driver for your pc?

5. blackbird307 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using a Asus g60vx and it has a 5100agm for wireless. I also tried rebooting my router which uses 802.11g a couple of times

6. twilyth Guest

Log into the router and see what information it gives you. Does it tell you anything about packets that had to be resent or something like that.

The first guess is a reception problem. Are there any new obstacles between you and the router - especially anything metal.

Have you recently changed locations? A new desk with a metal surface might cause problems for example.

To rule out the lappy's wireless network circuitry, try a USB wireless adapter. They're pretty cheap and it's always handy to have one around for testing.

Are there any new wireless electronics around that could interfere. Most wireless phones work in the same 2.4ghz band that is used for 802.11g.

edit - of course it's also possible the router is bad. This is where the USB adapter comes in. You can plug it into another machine near the router and if you still have problems you'll kknow it's the router. I've gone through about 4 in the past 6 years - every make too - dlink, linksys (now cisco), trendnet, belkin, etc. It's possible for wired connections to work fine but have dodgy wireless and vice versa.

7. blackbird307 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Log into the router and see what information it gives you. Does it tell you anything about packets that had to be resent or something like that.

-No problems with metal, tried moving router, same problem.
    -Moving closer to router didn't solve the problem.
    -I don't have a wireless adapter, but I have an older laptop that has a wireless card. The download speed at Speedtest.net was 12mbps opposed to the pathetic .45 on my new laptop.
    -I don't think it's got something to do with phones because my wireless was running fine before I reinstalled windows.
    -I tried using a wireless access point besides the router, same problem so I am going to rule the router out.

I am guessing this has alot to do with the drivers but I reinstalled the drivers with several different versions...

I went to the asus website and the only drivers that work are intel pro 1000 and 5100 but either way 5100agn is installed

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011