1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hot, Hot, Hot !!! Best CPU cooler fitting in a Thermaltake V3 ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Yukikaze, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I have a Scythe Katana III cooling my S939 Opteron 180 at the moment, and it is running way too hot for my liking (currently it is idling at 50c - Granted, the ambient here is around 30c at the moment, and it is a pretty hot 110W TDP chip, but idling this high is annoying me. It was also higher when we had a heatwave yesterday and ambient were around 40c). I checked the heatsink contact and I barely managed to get it off the CPU because it fit perfectly (CPU is lapped). I put it back again and I am getting the same temps as before, so this is the best the Katana III will give me.

I have this rig up 24/7 and it can easily hit 70c even at moderate load, so I need to lower temperatures before summer really sets in. The problem is that the tallest cooler that the V3 can fit is 137mm tall. My experience with coolers usually lies in much bulkier tower coolers (TRUE, IFX-14, Mugen 2) or my recent forays into water cooling, so I have no real idea what good air cooler cooler can fit in there. I thought about water cooling this system, but this is the one machine that is constantly on, and it is rarely supervised, so I'd rather not run it under water. I need something that is really a good step up from the Katana III with the goal of dropping me to an idle temperature of 40c with 30c ambient temp.

Thanks for all and any suggestions ! :toast:

2. mosheen

mosheen

Thanks Received:
    Yukikaze says thanks.
  3. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Excellent. Thanks. Now where the heck do I find a BADA locally. I am thinking nowhere so it is time for Fleabay.

EDIT: Problem. The BADA can't fit S939. It uses a backplate and since the screw holes on S939 and AM2 and onwards are different, it is a no go.

Damn.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010