1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

House Bill 1022

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Tomcat81970, Dec 29, 2008.

?

Do you agree with this Bill?

1. Yes! Guns are pure EVIL!

20.3%
  2. NO! Guns dont kill people, People kill People!

68.1%
  3. Dont think it will pass and/or dont care

11.6%
  1. Tomcat81970

Tomcat81970 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Summary-

"2/13/2007--Introduced.
    Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007 - Reinstates for ten years repealed criminal provisions regarding assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices (the assault weapons ban).
    Revises the definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" to include conversion kits (for converting a firearm to such a weapon) and any semiautomatic rifle or pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and that has specified characteristics, including a telescoping stock.
    Prohibits the transfer of such a weapon except through a licensed dealer or a state or local law enforcement agency, subject to specified requirements. Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a record of the make, model, and date of manufacture of any such weapon which the Attorney General is made aware has been used in relation to a crime, and of the nature and circumstances of the crime involved; and (2) annually submit the record to Congress and make it available to the public.
    Prohibits: (1) the transfer of any assault weapon with a large capacity ammunition feeding device; and (2) a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer who transfers such a device that was manufactured on or before this Act's enactment from failing to certify to the Attorney General, within 60 days of the transfer date, that the device was manufactured on or before that date. Sets forth penalties for violations.
    Prohibits: (1) the transfer of such a weapon or device to a juvenile; and (2) the importation of such a device."

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1022

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?... With Anti-Gun Obama in office, im a bit worried... After reading the majority of the full length bill it seems as if a lot of it is vague and most firearms will fit in the ban...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a threaded barrel;

(iii) a pistol grip;

(iv) a forward grip; or

(v) a barrel shroud.

(E)(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), a semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and has--

(i) a second pistol grip;

(ii) a threaded barrel;

(iii) a barrel shroud; or

(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.

(G) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(H) A semiautomatic shotgun that has--

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip;

(iii) the ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(iv) a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.

(I) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

(J) A frame or receiver that is identical to, or based substantially on the frame or receiver of, a firearm described in any of subparagraphs (A) through (I) or (L).

(K) A conversion kit.

(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'."
    "
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Tomcat, your poll options dont exactly follow the issue at point, ie. Bill 1022. In fact, I find them pejorative. Therefore I have voted "guns are evil" because, even as a pro gun person, I think there does need to be regulation. Just like there is for driving a truck, school bus, a pilot, or being a doctor, or childminder, or electrician etc. Although I dont think bill 1022 is right, I think it is more right than an overly libertine attitude of "NO! Guns dont kill people, People kill People!" which IMO is a really lame comment against gun legislation.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread will end in a horrible lock like the walls in the red sea closing on the Egyptians pursuing Moses. It shall be only after an epic flame war that will span the globe and salt the land with the ashes of banned users.
  4. Tomcat81970

Tomcat81970 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya, im sorry for that, but the general point is that were going to be over restricted. Whats the point of having the right to own firearms if were restricted down to a hand full. I believe that it should be harder to get one, but not eliminate all of our choices...

yes is for, no is against...
  5. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Did you know I can go to ANY GUN SHOW

Buy a uzi
    tech 9
    all sorts of crazy guns

Cash NO BACKGROUND CHECK heck they WOULD NOT KNOW I BOUGHT IT.

I could go shoot someone in the head and not give a !@#%! about getting caught. I could do this over and over while the market was open. I'm all about lets own guns, BUT lets make sure we know who has them or who can get one.

You could not do that untill the last bill ran out of time to renew. BUT right now I could go do that, and so could you.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  6. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's all a bunch of crap. I am a gun collector and own pre-ban and post-ban weapons. Saying you cant own a gun with certain options is bull. Guns don't kill people, the idiot behind the trigger does. Oh well, it drives up the value of what I have. :D Ban it all so I can get crazy amounts of money for my stuff. :laugh:
  7. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually that is somewhat correct. It is on a state by state basis. Here in WA you still have the waiting time on any weapon bought at shows except long rifles and shotguns, or if you have a FFL.
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I agree that regulations need to be in effect, and perhaps they might do some good, if only to allow the people making the bill to feel they have done some immusureable amount of good. However, the people using guns for evil purposes don't usually take the time to follow the letter of the law in procuring a gun of this sort. So perhaps this might change the lives and path of a few, the law itself is meaningless, the US lacks the manpower to enforce it.

Want better gun control? Use both hands!
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  9. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    What's the point of owning a gun that peels off 100 rounds in 10 seconds? Self defense? Good luck getting that by a judge.

A pistol in your dresser/under your pillow, sure. A rifle to hunt deer? Fine. Show me how an assault weapon is useful in any other fashion than mangling a large group of people.

Unless you are afraid of being raided by a group of bears....:roll:
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How in the hell am I supposed to make my wall sized art using pointalism via bullets? A handgun? Ha! I'm an artist not a miracle worker. I need my automatic assault rifles!:cry: In the name of art for crying out loud!!!
    Exavier and CyberDruid say thanks.
  11. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    One word....... ZOMBIES
  12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I voted no. There is no reason not to have hi-cap mags, and there is absolutely no reason to ban a semi-automatic anything, regardless of it's features. Automatic weapons I can understand being a bit more strict, but not banned.
    Nick89 says thanks.
  13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    There is no reason for anyone to need an assualt rifle,simple.

Having a pistol in your house for self defense is no problem,but just because your constitution says you have the right to bear arms,does that mean you need a whole arsenal of weapons in your house.

Maybe with obama in office it might just stop dickheads getting there hands on guns they are not responsible enough to own.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The second amendment of our constitution was written to give us the means to protect ourselves from our government. So yes, semi-auto and full auto rifles are within our rights, when the govt itself has them as well.

And to break it down into a more realistic situation, the criminals already have these weapons at their disposal. Yet these laws will do nothing to effect that. These laws only effect law abiding citizens. Criminals can get them anyway.

There is no reason for Americans NOT to have semi and full auto weapons.
    Nick89 says thanks.
  15. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    You can have them now:)

You just have to take more steps:)

You could own your own tank too!
  16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Right, but we can't have them if this ridiculous bill gets passed. Although I do not agree with banning full auto, I can see where they are coming from. I absolutely do not believe in banning anything that is semi-auto.
    Nick89 says thanks.
  17. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry but i can see no reason why anyone would need a full auto weapon.

If they made nukes legal,would you buy one because you can,and to protect yourself from your government?

How much does it cost for the ammo? how much money do you waste firing your guns at targets?

I think i will not comment in this thread anymore,as i am totally against ordinary folk owning anything but a pistol,and it will just end up with us arguing needlessly.

I mean no offense wile e.
  18. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I'm a better shot with an assault rifle :laugh: honest I have no chance in hell with a pistol, or hunting rifle.
  19. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's important that the real power of this nation remains in the hands of the people, as said by the constitution. Sure you can't have people driving tanks around the neighborhood, but it has been proven that banning weapons does little to keep bad people from getting them. By banning guns, good people can no longer legally defend themselves. What happens when a police officer is not there when a mad gunman storms the building if you can't defend yourself? Criminals are getting more and more powerful weapons now so that in many cases a simple pistol is no longer enough.
  20. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    People in britain dont generally have access to guns.In fact i have only seen one once when the cops were outside court with mp5's.The criminals still can get them,but look at the shooting figures for the uk.The only reason there is any chance of nutters going berserk is the ease with which they can get guns.There would not be much point in a total ban in the usa,as tere are so many guns already in circulation,it would be impossibe to remove all of them.In the uk it is nigh on impossible for a normal person to obtain one.
  21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Well, just because you don't see or understand why, doesn't make it wrong. Can you explain to me why it's wrong for a law abiding citizen to own a fully automatic weapon? And not just, "I don't understand."

And stretching beyond that, did you read the bill? It's also banning many semi-auto weapons, so this doesn't just effect the extreme end of firearms, it effects many common sport models as well.

As far as nukes, I wouldn't want to own one because I wouldn't want to be responsible for it's power. It has the potential of far too much collateral damage. Honestly, I don't think it's something our govt would be likely to use on it's own soil anyway. Pray to God I'm right about that if the shit ever hits the fan in America. lol.

And no offense taken or intended, tigger.
  22. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I can understand having a pistol for self defense,but not a full auto assault rifle.If someone attacks you home with a full auto,the pistol would still be good enough to defend yourself with until the police arrived.

Full auto weapons are meant for assualts on buildings,trenches etc in a war situation.When is a normal guy ever gonna be in that situation? And i dont see shooting it at targets as fun,it might be the first few times but you'd soon get bored of it,not to mention the cost of the ammo(which i am guessing is not dirt cheap)

Can you tell me why you feel you'd need an ak47 for example? what would you do with t,apart from shooting at targets.That kind of weapon is made for one thing and thats killing lots of people quickly,your not gonna knock nails in with it are you.

The only reason americans have such strong ties to guns is because of situations that happened a long time ago,and the fact that you have had such free access to them for such a long time,they are part of your culture.

I guess its just kinda hard for me to understand,but i know for certain,there is a few times in the uk that i would have shot some person for pissing me off,so it is a good job it is so hard to get them here.

I can fully understand why normal people have guns in certain other countries,afghanistan for example.

Do most homes/people in the us have guns then? are there places/people that dont/wont have them.

Thanks wile e.i am just trying to understand the gun culture in america a bit better.
  23. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    A pistol might not be enough if a criminal with a full auto gun acquired illegally from Mexico along with a ton of body armor barges into your business or home. Criminals who want to get guns don't care about gun laws (because they are criminals) so most gun laws are hurting innocent citizens. There just aren't many legitimate reasons to ban most guns (exceptions are full auto machine guns, rockets, tanks, etc.).
  24. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can, you can still get them:)

just a few more hoops if you have a record tho.....

Most homes in the US have at least ONE gun. Most people don't ever ever use it. Not even one time.

BUT they do have one just in case they did need one....

AS FOR NUKES

They are a thing of the past now:)

We now have a bomb that is just as bad ass AND leaves no nuke winter:)

Russia has one too!

Also because it's not a nuke we can use them all we want:)

VERY VERY WICKED

In fact I heard we are going too or russisa is going to pull all the small nukes out and replace them with these new bombs. It's the way it sucks the air and gets very hot. A vacuum bomb I think,

When we talk about it here it's more open because we don't understand over there. We don't talk about guns really at all here, and we always talk about them with you.
    It sounds odd but it's true.....
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  25. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Like i have said,i can fully understand the possesion of a pistol in the home for protection,but not a full auto weapon.