1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

House Bill 1022

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Tomcat81970, Dec 29, 2008.

?

Do you agree with this Bill?

1. Yes! Guns are pure EVIL!

20.3%
  2. NO! Guns dont kill people, People kill People!

68.1%
  3. Dont think it will pass and/or dont care

11.6%
  1. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    It's like having the Ex i7 in your machine right now:)

Just cool to own.

updated last post if you missed it....I hate when pages turn on me:)
    hat says thanks.
  2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    It was quite funny when i was peering at the coppers mp5,i think he thought i was gonna make a grab for it.I had my face close enough to smell the oil on it.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    First off Tigger thank you for not going off and calling us Americans "crazy gun wielding rednecks" and actually trying to find out why the U.S. is so "passionate" about guns. Our second amendment was created as WileE stated to protect us from our government. Its not something any president or congress has a RIGHT to take away. Our supreme court has even ruled on this recently. The people have a right. End of story.

However let me clear a few things up these guys haven't covered yet.

1. Its ALREADY illegal to own a fully automatic weapon in the U.S. without having a class 5 permit. Basically to own a fully automatic weapon you have to be approved by the state and have federal clearance. Plus a LOT of money. Most gun shops don't even carry them. If you happen to have a class 5 you have to special order anything you want and that entails a paper trail a mile long.

2. Almost all gun crimes in the United States DO NOT INVOLVE assault weapons. Most of the time its hand guns that are used. However not as many gun crimes happen as the media would have you believe. Most gun fatalities are suicide's. Anti-Gun pushers conveniently include suicide stats when they talk about over all gun fatalities. Did you know Miami Fl. has one of the most open gun policy's in the United States? Do you know how many murders we had last October? ZERO! Not one murder was committed in one of the highest crime ridden areas in the U.S. ZERO.

3. If you read the ban carefully you'll see it bans things that "look" deadly but really don't serve much of a purpose in self defense or even utility. Basically it bans guns that you would see in a movie and not used in crimes. So what I have a bayonet lug on the front of my rifle? What am I going to do? A drive by bayoneting? Remember all governments play on the fears of its people to get things done. We used 9-11 to invade Iraq. It was a knee jerks response that was caused by fear. Its the same with this bill. The guns "look" bad so they must BE bad. But remember most crimes are committed with ILLEGALLY acquired hand guns.

4. Smart governments never rape the peoples personally liberties all at once. If they do they risk revolution. This is why Americans are so quick to defend our right to carry. Governments will slowly take away your rights little by little for "the good of the people". This is why this bill is so dangerous. Its a tiny step to a bigger picture. Full disarmament and full government control. Now tell me do you trust any government? How about the U.S. government? ;)

5. We cant even control our boarders. Drug running is a major industry in the U.S. What makes you think we can keep the gun runners out if all guns are banned? Nothing. Then who will have the guns? The government and the criminals. Not a pretty picture is it?

6. My last point is simple. Most gun crimes in the U.S. are not only caused by handguns (which as I stated is far lower than shown) but by ILLEGALLY acquired guns. People by law who had their right to carry taken away and or used a stolen gun.

My point is this bill is just window dressing for the big sale on our freedoms. I hope this clears things up for ya Tigger. :toast:
    Nick89 says thanks.
  4. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    I voted for the second option, although I don't fully support it. Something needs to be done about the guns in the U.S. but this is not the way to do it. This "law" was made just to stop people from buying AR15's as it's the only gun that is affected by most points in there. Why would you wanna do such a thing? Isn't the U.S. economy in such a deep s**t already? Do they really want Colt to go down too, like G.M., or all other small and medium businesses like Bushmaster, Noveske etc. be exterminated ? Would that really be beneficial for the United States?The next big thing I see coming is an all out Tobacco ban and then yeah, we can all smile in a new, free and clean world after we finished burying the U.S economy...
  5. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    LOL this is starting to be really funny to me because I never get into talks about guns HARDLY EVER. If I do it's a few lines, and maybe to you want to go hunting. That's it/Never do I even hear these laws even talked about. EVER

I
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: No worries man. Colt isn't going anywhere or any other major gun manufacturer. War is the best business.
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I say to hell with 1022 and everything to do with it. I'd rather move to the Zone.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    exactly. :respect:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to make it clear, normal everyday civilians can not own fully automatic weapons. Only law enforcement and the military have the ability to posses fully automatic weapons. Even with a FFL civilians are limited on owning fully auto weapons. I have a FFL, have had it for years. I do not own any full auto weapons myself, I do own many semi-auto weapons though. This bill will not only stop the sale of auto weapons but will also restrict or stop the sale of semi-auto weapons. I can see limiting magazine capacities, or making threaded barrels and such more restricted but banning all together is not the right answer. They tried this during the Clinton administration with little over all improvement. I can go on all day long about this subject, but I wont :toast:
  10. Tomcat81970

Tomcat81970 New Member

Thanks Received:
    X2

"You try to outlaw firearms and u will just put them in the hands of the outlaws"...

People who commit crimes wont care if they are illegal, it will just drive firearm dealers underground, then the government has no idea who has them. And what is this going to do regarding a CCW? or the accessories for those guns getting bans? And whats going to happen to the ammo?... This is just a first step thats going to lead to complete gun loss... I head that they are trying to ban any knife over 3" long in England now... if thats true its very sad... The 1911 will fit under this ban because it was designed for the military, a major piece of American history taken away from us... This bill isnt so cut and dry, its going to have a lot of "ripples"
  11. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't intend to vote in this poll, as lemonade pointed out, the options don't really coincide with the bill being discussed.

But, my opinion:

this will put massive restrictions on just about every form of firearm - from pistols to assualt rifles, from hunting rifles to shotguns.

Especially the last part of that quote, section (L). It's pretty much saying that the final decision will be up to one individual - or, if it's a weapon that the military uses, it's banned - if used by law enforcement, it's banned . . . it looks more like a "blanket" clause than anything else - if a weapon doesn't fall into the categories above it, we can cover it here.

Tighter weapon restrictions won't abate illegal firearm usage - actually, quite the contrary, it'll only fuel the issue. If someone is intent on owning a specific weapon, they'll find the measn to get it. For some, it's about hunting, and the sport - for other's it's simply an interest in firearms . . . others still, it's about the ability to protect one's home and property, some are simply collectors as well. Believe it or not, but most gun owners are right-minded and responsible owners, if we base this assumption on general statistics. It's the illegal use and possesion that causes problems . . . so why continue to make firearms more and more illegal?

I'm not a weapon owner myself, I doubt I ever will be - but I don't have a single problem with those who legitimately own waepons, and use them in a responsible fashion . . . even if it's driving out to the middle of nowhere with some buds to go shoot beer cans and tree stumps . . . if done responsibly, there's no harm done.

This is just another example, IMHO, of our government's increasing activities to further restrict our citizens rights.
  12. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well put :toast:
  13. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damm, this is my motivator to getting my rifle license now, i have 10,000 to spend and its all going towards guns.

If the government wants to ban guns, they can kiss my ass, imo. I think this is bad, we have the right to a self regulated milita, and guns are in the bear arms issue.

Remember stay safe, stay second Amendment.

This won't fix anything, unfortunately just as in GTA IV, where guns are banned, only the criminals will have guns, and the black market will go unchecked, gun crimes will go up, just like they did in England after the gun ban.
  14. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    I only read the first few posts of this thread. Why? 1) because I've been enjoying some adult beverages and now have a short attention span, and 2) because, generally, only law-abiding citizens respect gun laws. Criminals don't respect laws, that's why they are called criminals. Pass all the laws you want, criminals don't care. You're only hurting law-abiding citizens.

You know the old "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"? That's very true.
  15. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Gun crimes in the uk is pretty low,in the uk people tend to stab each other as knifes are easier to procure.It is illeagal to carry a knife in public in the uk though.

Heres a page with uk gun/knife crime figures if anyone is interested.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6960431.stm

tigger
  16. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Teach a 12 yrs old boy to handle a gun, and he will kill his mother to avoid household chores, like tidying up his toys. LOL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7810192.stm

At least it wasnt his teacher for the homework.

Mind you, even though this was a semi-automatic, it didnt really change the outcome. It would have done in a public place though. It limits the number and speed of take-downs, allow defensive action by potential targets.
  17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Ok, that's terrible, but what's the point of this post exactly?

If it's an anti-gun post, it's pretty pointless. The kid could've just as easily grabbed a steak knife and slit her throat. The tool he used to commit the crime has little to nothing to do with it at all. The fact of the matter is, he had the intent to kill his mother, and he likely would've done it anyway, gun or not.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  18. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Thats the fault of the mother and the step father,for not securing the gun.Just like in britain,dangerous chemicals like bleach etc are kept away from children,as should guns be.I dont care what anyone tells me,a child does not have the mental capability to fully understand what a gun is for/can do.The parents were to blame.

If americans are going to have guns in the house,please keep them out of childrens reach.
  19. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    54,000 knife offences?

With the same mentality you should outlaw knives down to the plastic ones and any sharp instuments like needles that could harm others. People with transmitable disease like AIDS should be locked up as they could infect someone in someway, and all food shold only bo sold in small pieces in packages that only allow for one small pice out at a time to prevent choking deaths.

All the data shown there represents is that people with the intent will find a way. How many of the gun crimes were by illegally obtained firearms?
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  20. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    i love you anti-gun people, it was premeditated, if the mom didn't stop abusing him then he wouldn't have shot her, if she didn't stop abusing him he would have stabbed her 8 or 10 times instead. read the whole article before you post something your just as bad as the democratic press.

And around here kids get exposed to guns from a bout age 7-8 and up. My cousin got her first pistol at 15 and first shotgun at 16. I got my first shotgun at 16. Its funny to note that exposure to guns around here is a big thing, and yet we have no crime either. no gang shootings, no kids killing their parents, none of that stuff. We teach younger generations how to honor this peace of of iron and wood, how to clean it, and treat it with respect, and you know what, we don't have school shooting or any of that.

We have a higher gun/per person ratio and have the lowest crime rate here. All in all, all banning guns does is hurt the good people, because crimes will be commited weather there is a gun or not makes no difference in the outcome, either way you will end up dead, the only difference is you will die a slower death with a knife wound.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  21. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Or you won't die at all and wake up as a zombie. That's what really frightens me and that's the sole reason I'm not against guns. At least they do what they are supposed to do right.
  22. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bullshit.

When you outlaw guns, only outlaws have them.

Thing that dumb gun control hippies don't seem to get, is that criminals are criminals because they don't obey laws. Do you really think a criminal will think to him self "oh, gee, I guess I can't have a gun, since they are illegal!". I can guarantee he will not.
    Snipermonkey2 and pepsi71ocean say thanks.
  23. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree 100%, because that is the hard truth. And the day a bill like this goes before congress i will find a way to speak to congress and try to talk some sens into them all. maybe you tube them blackmail style:laugh:
  24. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
  25. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    The swiss had to sign a treaty that they would no longer be mercenary fighters. They were too badass for the rest of the worlds good.
    10 Million points folded for TPU