1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

House Bill 1022

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Tomcat81970, Dec 29, 2008.

?

Do you agree with this Bill?

1. Yes! Guns are pure EVIL!

20.3%
  2. NO! Guns dont kill people, People kill People!

68.1%
  3. Dont think it will pass and/or dont care

11.6%
  1. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    i didn't mean to bold out the one line, but i figured people would just skimp over the post and their eye would be cached on the bold lines, lol

2. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    OK, i've kind of got strong feelings about guns, but i'll try to state my opinions without becoming to political or offensive.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with guns themselves, but the law that governs the usage......

Let me make an analogy. In the UK before you are allowed to be in control of a deadly weapon you must first prove that you are capable of using that weapon safely, responsibly and proficiently.

You must take both a written and practical test which takes hours or practice and work.
    You must have patience, money and dedication.

You must be of sound health to use the weapon, both mental and physical and even though you are not required to take any medical tests the licence can be revoked on suspicion of bad physical or mental health and require you to take medical tests. If you ever use the weapon in any way that is unsafe or irresponsible it can be revoked immediately and includes a large fine and possible jail time.

The larger the weapon you use the more difficult it is to obtain a licence for, sometimes requiring years of study and practice before you are able to gain such licence.
    There is also a limit to the amount of ammunition you can store for this weapon as in large quantities the ammunition is extremely dangerous.

OK enough with analogies.... What i am refering to as "the weapon" are vehicles, from motorbikes to 747's. A vehicle can be classed as a weapon (although not primarily classed this way) and the tests required to operate a vehicle are for the safety pf the public.
    What i do not understand is why something that's sole purpose is to be used as a weapon and as such is much more dangerous is so much more easy to obtain?
    Can anyone enlighten me as to why in some states it is possible to obtain a gun with only a waiting period and ID when such an item used improperly can be so much more devastating than any honda civic?

I believe that if gun laws were a little more stringent than vehicle laws then the world would be a little safer. I also believe they should be more stringent as their primary function is to kill, nothing else, whereas a vehicle is not intended for any purpose but transportation. The only reason the vehicle laws exist is because of the possibility people may use them irresponsibly and end up killing people.

[Edit] Sorry jumped the gun a bit (mainly read the poll) - My post is fairly OT, sorry. I dont; believe they should be banned but i do believe they should be more rigorous laws in place for the ownership of these weapons for the above reasons. (assault rifles)

I also know that it's pretty pointless as 99% of gun crimes i the US are committed using handguns, but i stick by my reasoning.

It's also kind of a sorry state when you feel that you must own a gun to protect yorself against all the criminals that own guns illegally. All these guns were made by the same manufacturers. So you must buy their product to protect yourselves against their product. Wow, i wish i had a business like that Win-Win. The gun laws are out-dated like many other parts of the U.S. Bill of rights and should be amended accordingly. I believe the only way for a country to progress is by developing and refining it's laws. I only fear it is now too late to do anything about these problems which should have been addressed post WWII.
    When a country produces and sells a higher quantity of instruments that are intended for killing than are intended for transport (sticking with the theme above) then you know that there is a serious problem.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    crazy pyro and lemonadesoda say thanks.
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
  4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends
    Some people started bitching, not knowing what it was
    And they keep on bitching it forever just because.............

silkstone, Snipermonkey2 and CDdude55 say thanks.
  5. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    ........and as murder is a crime everyone that murders is a criminal.

The sentence must be true in order to be correct :)

...but in response to you thread and others, the majority of gun deaths are not "outlaw" related, i believe they are suicide and accidental. All the more reason to enforce gun laws imo. Don't allow stupid or suicidal people own guns. Simple.

[Eidt] Editing as i go along - sorry mods. My argument against comparing gun crime with knife crime is that it is much more difficult to kill with a knife. Both physiologically and psychologically. With a gun you get full penetration from a distance with the pull of a trigger, with a knife, well... it's much more up close and personal and less destuctive.

Oh, and if you stand up against your government is the US it is considered protest, but if you stand up against your government using guns it's considered terrorism? The government will always find ways around these kinds of laws to protect themselves and put you in the wrong, whether it's in your bill of rights or not. The argument in favour of militia being allowed to bear arms is moot. However i believe it is only in place to protect US citizens against a foreign government and is insufficient to protect it's citizens from it's own government.

6. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    ha, ha :) Blame thoughtdisorder i picked up this thread from "What's wrong with our forms?" and found it interesting. (You know me MM :banghead:)

7. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bullshit, i was in a fight, where this blood (a gang type) pulled out a 6 inch bowie knife and used it against my friend, my friend who has 4 year of Hapkido behind him, broke the knife and then severly injured the other guy instantly. a knife can kill instantly, weather its a knife or a gun, they can kill you, hell my Dodge Ram can kill a person instantly, so can my chain saw, and my cutting knife, it doesn't matter the weapon of choice it will still happen in the end.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    crazy pyro and Snipermonkey2 say thanks.
  8. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

My new home defense / target gun. Remington 870 Woot

9. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    niicee. I have a Sears and Roebuck Shotgun, its a winchester Model 1200. I also am working in finalising my M1-Garand, a 1945 Springfield with all matching serial and parts, worth a fortune.

Snipermonkey2 says thanks.
  10. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Another fun target gun. Hi-Point Carbine 9mm it looks really ugly but it shoots amazingly well for a $200-$300 gun. Also those are hollow point in the image good for home defense or shooting fruit at the range. I own both guns legally and went through well known dealers in my area. Yet I have committed no crimes and people want to take these away from me.

11. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Thats probably because those guns dont look like there for ''home defense'' purposes.

12. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    screw home defense, that looks like a great rabbit gun, or maybe a squirl as well.

13. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
    Yeah its only other purposes is for target shooting.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
  15. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    from a belgium airsoft shop

17. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    is that airsoft or a real MP40?

18. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think he answered that.

Just wanted to assure everyone no one was killed today when I expended several hundred rounds out in the woods target shooting.

19. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    A Realistic metal Mp40 Made for Airsoft use fire 8mm bb's 360fps
    capicty 50 rounds

20. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Ban weapons, the only people left with them are criminals?

Fancy that idea?

Remember the same goes with automatic weapons.... Think they are really all that hard to get your hands on, think again, just depends on how much you care about the law, personally if your committing felony with a gun to start with would you care?

21. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    any bunny rabbits?

22. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, hunting bunny rabbits with a 9 is to easy, need to use a .22, or if your really hard core try using a pellet gun, lol

23. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
  24. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
  25. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received: