1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How a hard drive is engineered by Engineer Guy

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AsRock, Nov 8, 2011.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    yogurt_21, sttubs, Riotpump and 4 others say thanks.
  2. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks alot for this awesome link, was very interesting
    +1

3. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was pretty legit,

Never put magnets near your drive, I new that for way a long time ago, but he explains how the entire engineering mechanical process of a hard-drive relies on magnetic forces. Positive or Negative force fields, that are located to control the ARM/head of the hard drive, and are also used in positive/negative magnetic charge once again to write specific binary(010111)context on hard-drive platters that are a smash up of 4 different sorts of metal's/oxides to be able to store permanent magnet charge for the head to read.

I new about the head's ability to float over the hard-disk's inside the drive, I just was not sure about the magnetic process and engineering to make it possible.

I'm in Com.college but I will get there with the big guys(smart ones) soon enough :laugh:.

Thank Asrock, something fresh and flame-free on the forums!!! :toast::rockout::)

4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Much obliged.

This guy did a similar segment on LCDs a while back. Here's the link off of hackaday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jiejNAUwcQ8.

Additionally, this video (HDDs) was from before June 4th. He's doing quite a few of these, and his name is Bill Hammack. Both videos have been linked at hackaday.com.

yogurt_21 and AsRock say thanks.
  5. Riotpump

Riotpump New Member

Thanks Received:
    Appreciate the video. Definitely wish more engineers put this type of info out there. Might encourage some people to go more into this particular field of study.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    To me he has the right voice to tell it good.. Like for nature programs David Attenborough and for story telling Patrick Stewart.

Cool to see he did more. Not had the chance to look around for them and i guess you saved me that time hehe.. When i watched it i thought it was well explained.