1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How are those Samsung F1's

Discussion in 'Storage' started by kenkickr, Sep 24, 2008.

1. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I recently sold my 500Gb Seagate to my friend cause he needed a drive and I had to send my motherboard to Asus for RMA, and soon will be looking to purchase a 750Gb or 1Tb drive. I've been looking at HD's from Seagate, WD, and Samsung. It seems the F1's are all the rage and are pretty high on people's list of HD recommendations. I've read reviews on all the manufacturers I listed but newegg reviews, I generally take them with a grain of salt, kind of have me worried cause it seems there are alot of failures shortly after receiving them. Anyone here have a F1 and if so how have they been from 6 months on. Warranty doesn't really concern me as long as it's not 1 year cause I generally don't keep hardware that long. Any info much appreciated.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Buy one- you won't regret it. I've been lugging the 750gb F1 in an external for about 4+ months now, and it's still running great. It's bounced around in my backpack before when I forgot it was in there, and it hasn't skipped a beat. It's VERY quiet, the only thing you'll notice is it's start-up "whine" which lasts about 2 seconds. In a desktop environment it stays very cool, although the external case I've put it in lets it get a bit toasty (it blocks two of the airholes, so I might try a different one). I bought mine for $110 on ZZF, but newegg now has the better price @ $95. Best hard drive I've ever owned. Only other consideration would be looking at the 640gb drives if you want more speed... but that's it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152100
    kenkickr says thanks.
  3. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive had a Samsung F1 750gb for a couple of months ,its very quiet and is faster than my wd500gb,so far so good.

as mentioned above if u want faster then i suggest either the 640gb or 1tb versions as they are a little faster than the 750.
    kenkickr says thanks.
  4. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    MY 750gb F1 is going great, very fast and extremely quiet. Better in all area than my 500gb WD. Get one, you won't be disappointed.
    kenkickr says thanks.
  5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info guys, and girls if any. I'm hoping to go with the 1Tb drive but will see how the money situation works out for me.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    1tb has different platters so it is faster but overall my 750gb gives me large space and rapid load times, i thought at first this is shit but vista loads in seconds and games loading times are better overall so over time i started to notice how dynamite this hard drive was

it worth the money honest its only competition is some WD 600 odd gb with 16mb cache
    kenkickr says thanks.
  7. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 1TB's F1's in RAID 0 in my HTPC...they are awesome. Very fast. I would say they are as fast or faster in some cases then my Raptors. Strongly recommend.
    kenkickr says thanks.
  8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Anyone beat on these drives real good, like raid setup with 24/7 running with constant writes?

I'm interested in buying a few for my daw if they hold up really well, a good bit cheaper than RE2/RE3s.
  9. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I found on Newegg there is a Seagate 1.5TB drive for $189.99. It's not in stock right now but probably in a couple weeks I'll be looking again cause that should be about the time I get my motherboard back from Asus. If the Samsung comes down in price in that time I think I'll go with it depending on what the price/gb is.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're going to get a Samsung F1 don't even consider the 750GB model. F1 750GB is built using older lower density platters and as such is slower than the 640GB/1TB models.
  11. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I've got the 750GB. It's fast. True, the 1GB model has higher density platters, and is a little faster in some benchmarks, but even the 750GB is very fast and quiet. You can base your decision on your budget.
  12. red268

red268

Thanks Received:
    I was considering the 1TB version, so was glad to see this thread.
    Do the drive run much slower if they're filled with stuff?
    For example, put 600GB of videos on the 1TB drive along with my operating system and all my games, would there be any performance loss compared to if it was just my OS and games?
  13. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 Spinpoints (1 TB) in RAID 0 and I have 2 VelociRaptors (300 GB) also in RAID 0
    and they are head to head in most tests I have performed....with a slight overtake for the WD´s ....
    Whatever... they a both very fast compared to anything else I have owned..
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Any drive is going to slow down the more data you put on it. I love do a system tuneup for a customer that has less than 15% HD space on their system and seeing their eyes light up when they get it back noticing how much faster the system is. That's why I have my 500Gb External so I'm not loading my OS/Game drive up with a bunch of shit that just sits most of the time(movies, music, pics, etc).

It seems the Seagate 1.5Gb(1.36Gb formatted) is the drive to go with for the price. 189.99 on newegg right now. I'll see though cause hopefully the Samsung will move down to 119.99-125.99 soon.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    just to compare a Samsung 750gb Vs WD 640gb..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lemonadesoda says thanks.