1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How Climate Change is Causing Antarctic Sea-ice to Expand

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by micropage7, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    that is IF you believe humans are the problem.
  2. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I read the original post. Very interesting and informative stuff.

Doesn't one word about taxes. I'm just saying.
  3. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Isn't much of a believe man, the evidence is overwhelming.

I just told you why and instead of refuting it, that is all you have to say? Irony is the little you have to say says a lot about how right you actually are.
  4. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    oh boy. because i am unwilling to spend hundreds of hours rehashing arguments scientists have made against human caused global warming then i must be ignorant of the truth.

buddy, i was arguing against anthropogenic back in 2000 when i learned al gore believed in it. i really don't have the patience to bring it all up again.
  5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Alright fair enough, but don't expect to sway me or anyone else based on your precognitive thoughts about something that was just developing back in 2000.
  6. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    ahem, AGW has been around since the 80s. it was popularized by al gore as an initiative to get elected. he was appealing to those in the Green Party. al gore lost the 2000 presidential election because of Ralph Nader's enviro-freaks who accounted for almost 3 million votes.
  7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    What I meant to get at, just because you've argued about it elsewhere in the past doesn't mean I or anyone else is going to take merit in that as an excuse for you being right.

Climate change has been looked at since the 1800's but combining all that knowledge into something conclusive hasn't occurred till recently. All this knowledge is now being used in advanced computer simulations to get a rough idea of what to expect. And they all point to warming.
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think a good start would be to take away politicians airplanes. Force them to buy electric cars to travel in. I also wonder how much large military's contribute to global warming? I bet they don't have emissions to worry about. The governments of the world need to set an example for the little people.
    digibucc and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  9. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    But we need out military! If we can't defend ourselves as a country, our politicians will lose their jobs!

Let that sink in for a bit.
  10. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Well it sure seems that way dude and I am not just talking about all the destruction I see on the news but also my own experience plus those around me including my 72 year old father who is certainly no "tree hugger". Yeah well let's see in 25 or even 50+ years. If there is indeed a new permanent pattern of severity that is emerging then we wouldn't have the "historical data" to confirm or deny that either way as yet would we?

In case it needs to pointed out I would love to be wrong about this more than anything else.
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean our jet turbine powered tanks are killing trees! OH NOES!
  12. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Actually jets and ships produce clouds which reflect sunlight back into space but at night clouds act as a blanket warming us.

There was this Idea to ban all night flights but obviously that won't work.
  13. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Oh, you mean chemtrails?

[​IMG]

Not only does it reflect sunlight back into space, it's most likely killing off some of the population. Win/Win.
    digibucc says thanks.
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  15. erocker

Thanks Received:
    True story, I have a customer who is a commercial airline pilot. He knows they're real. He might be an alien too, but that's not here nor there.

I don't live near an airport or anything, but some days the sky is thick with these chemtrails. Even the former FBI chief has claimed they are very much real.

Is it really that hard to believe? Or do you think the fine folks who run things like our government would never do such things?
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I grew up next to an Air Force Base and I have seen them since I can remember. What exactly do they claim they are spraying?
  17. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yes...they are most certainly "real" but if not regular condensation trails, then what?
  18. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Even before humans and their technologies, Earth's climate was changing, so humans can't be responsible for today's global warming. It was so before, it will be after. Earth's climate was always sensitive. Atm humans has zero power to change the climate or weather. However, I hope that climate control technology will exist oneday. No idea how it'd look maybe some kind of shield or some thermodynamical system which can alway retain the balance. I dunno
  19. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Did the ice caps at the poles all essentially just melt in a span of less than 50 years ever before? Frankly, I really don't know so please enlighten me. Yes, there have been plenty of changes in the past but there is always a cause-and-effect reason(s). Why can't dumping a fuckton of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere by humans be one of those causes now?

Some people think it's common sense that it's NOT humans. But I feel the exact opposite! But as I am happy to point out I am no scientist.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  20. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Apparently it limits higher brain function? Coincidence MailMan? Coincidence?

I'm kidding. Some say barium.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the government isn't what you call good at secrets. I find it hard to believe they could orchestrate this many "Chemtrails" over 30+ years and NO ONE drop a dime on the plot.
  22. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    50 years? Is that a joke? For global scale even 10000 years is nothing. There was extreme global warming in the Eocene (~56 to 34 million years ago). Because climate is too sensitive to CO2. Carbon dioxide levels must have at least doubled over a period of around 400000 years. I don't think people was kicking around that time. At least they didn't have factories then :rolleyes: Sayin that people alone changed entire Earth's climate is the same if you say ''if a grandma had a dick she'd be a grandpa'.
  23. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Why is it that we can not take the CO2 out of the atmosphere? We have technology that can do this so why is it we are not making HUGE C)2 removal plants? I do not get this at all. We have technology that can save us from every thing and deliver water to every one yet we do not put any of it to use. What a waste. We have only our selves to blame, I know the democrats here want to blame bush for this too.
  24. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    During the eocene, the continents were lying in different positions which lead to different oceans and different ocean currents. So the role of the oceans (among other factors) has changed over time. Those matters are no constants and therefore climate is hard to hind- and forecast.

There is a likely human role, but there are large uncertainties about how big that role is and what exactly it will lead to.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    You're right. There's many methods of CO2 capturing and removing.

Those methods are economically feasible and can remove CO2 directly from the air.

Zeolite (SSZ-13) can easily capture CO2 while leaving other gases alone. Look at the facts: each pore halts one CO2 molecule - and each cubic cm of the zeolite has enough pores to stop 0.31 grams of CO2.

[​IMG]

I agree, it's pathetic that such things are ignored. CO2 is toxic. High concentration of CO2 will screw our atmosphere. What can be more important than the air we breathe ...
    trickson says thanks.