1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How Climate Change is Causing Antarctic Sea-ice to Expand

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by micropage7, Nov 13, 2012.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Exactly! Then why is it we as humans can not seem to band together and CLEAN up the air? We have the tech we have the means yet no one is even going to try? What a sad thing the human race really is. It is our fault it will be our undoing!

2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You have plenty of free time, why don't you solve the worlds problems?

3. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Seems you do as well.
    You seem to be trolling me a lot, maybe if you put that superior intellect of yours to better use we would have some clean air.?
    I often wonder with all the tech we have just what good does it really do? All I see is a generation of Youtube face book people hell bent on wasting there lives away! Well I am old and have but a short time left on this planet so you young ones will have to deal with this shit NOT me! For now the air is fine wait till you have to have an oxygen mask on just to live!

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I work from home and hate polar bears.

digibucc says thanks.
  5. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Not as much as you think. Why don't you do some thing? I mean you have the superior intellect and can do no wrong so put that thing to good use and start to come up with a plan to solve this problem. The tools are there and the tech we have! You could make billions if you just used that superior intellect you show us all the time!

6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Sheer fact is a lot of money is being made through the burning of fossil fuels.

Even with perfectly good alternative like Thorium reactors known to work, it needs money to give it proper traction and those with the money to fund it are either the Government or companies banking from the burning of fossil fuels.

7. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Not to worry as there is only so much fossil fuel left. Soon there will be none and that will force a change!

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Because I don't care?

9. trickson

Thanks Received:
    But with out your superior intellect to solve the worlds problems you will be condemning an entire world to global warming! :banghead:

10. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    And what's good about it? How to manage all the waste? It's highly toxic and radioactive. Fossil fuels are crap but at least they won't make us glow in the dark.

11. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    LOL. thing is they are finite, Oil is going to run out sooner or later and then what? Just what is left? Coal? Yeah coal driven cars and trucks! :banghead:
    We do need to look at things like this. the waste can be safely disposed of we have thousands of miles of desert that we can put the crap. See it is this kind of crap thinking that has the USA in a quagmire you people think that all forms of nuclear power should be taken off the table yet the rest of the world is using it. Isn't Germany and France like 90% nuclear power? While America still uses coal and Oil as the main source of generating power. What a fucking joke!

13. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Here's a snippet from your fantastic wikipedia link

However I dunno maybe you're an uber expert in that then ... if so then my bad. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to be an uber expert, you just have to know how to read.

Thorium offers a spectacular solution to the challenge of 4.5 billion year decay rates of Uranium byproducts. 83% of Thorium byproducts decay in 100 years’ time, and 99.9% of byproducts have become inert in a mere 300 years.

"Destruction of existing long lived nuclear wastes." The LFTR can "burn" problematic radioactive waste with transuranic elements from traditional solid-fuel nuclear reactors without producing new transuranic waste in the process, thus solving the long term high level waste problem by turning the liability into an asset.

It can run off waste from traditional reactors.

It isn't where it ought to be yet, which is why funding is still needed. It has great potential. It can breed with its own waste and if they get it at a 1:1 then its almost like free energy, near unity.

Lower fuel cost.
    Reactor efficiency.
    Thorium abundance
    No shortage of natural resources.
    Destruction of existing long lived nuclear wastes.
    Fail safe core.
    No co2...

To name a few...

Its automatically perceived negatively in general. People hear reactor, think nuclear and think danger.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    Super XP, digibucc and trickson say thanks.
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    @ Trickson: All German NPPs will be closed by 2022. This new legislation has come into existence because Fukushima Daiichi got into trouble during the latest quake in Japan. That disaster and the one at Cherno (among others) made the Germans decide that it enough is enough.

trickson says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Can't tell if trolling blah blah but pretty fucking reckless, regardless. Especially for a father who I know "cares"about his kids. Even with this climate change shit aside as David Letterman said "I have an 11-year-old son. What's the world going to be like when he is my age?"

Staying out of this thread now.

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing I can make a difference in? Ill teach my kids how to survive the world and its BS man made or nature as I cannot control either. That's the problem with a lot of people today. They really believe they have control over things. You have none. Zero. People are gonna be people. Governments will always try and gain control by any means and the only thing you can do is teach your children how to survive. You let me know when you think you can control the weather and governments and Ill start listening. Until then I DON'T CARE.

What are they going too? I think closing NPP is stupid unless those crafty Krauts came up with something better.

18. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well I have news for you, I can control weather! I have climate control in both my house and my car so you sir are wrong!

And people already control governments, they are just shitty. I can't guarantee the next wave of ppl will be any less shity either.

19. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    If it can easily deal with its own waste why did they list waste treatment as a challenge? Or wiki is full of shit again? :confused: Radioactive waste can't just be "burnt". Energy don't appear and disappear, it's conserved. Jiggly subatomic particles won't just stop flying.
    Thorium is abundant but its extraction and transportation isn't easy because it's pyrophoric.

Many things have great potential (photovoltaics and wind power) which deserve funding as nothing else but if it's one of them so be it *shrugs*

20. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Molten Salt Reactor, uses a moderated nuclear breeding reaction involving Thorium 232 and Uranium 233 in a Fluoride-Lithium-Beryllium molten salt fuel, the system can be improved upon providing greater breeding yields.

Due to the fuel component being a high temperature, low pressure liquid, the reaction vessel never exceeds a pressure of .5 MPa, more than an order of magnitude less than the high pressures of solid-fueled nuclear reactors, which often exceed 15 MPa.22.

Thorium’s improvement over conventional fuel cycles, produces only 1.6kg of Plutonium, .3kg of Americium, and 5.4kg of Minor Actinides over 30 years of energy production nothing when compared to the hundreds of kilograms of each produced by Uranium cycles.

Thorium fuel cycles are proven to eliminate virtually all of the problems preventing Uranium fuel cycles from displacing fossil fuels as a main fuel source, and the science behind the technology shows that it is a viable candidate for global power production. Wind and sun are not consistent, this would be. The little issues it has is nothing that some good funding couldn't get rid of.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    digibucc says thanks.
  21. trickson

Thanks Received:

This is just how I feel about this issue. Enjoy. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    stinger608 says thanks.
  22. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Perfect. Pack your shit folks :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    trickson says thanks.
  23. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    This Global Warming nonesence is a deliberate scene to tax the crap out of people so a select few can get richer. The so called Man Made Global Warming is a Hoax. If there is warming, it's not caused by man, but a natural process cycle.
    Fossil fuels is another manipulated Hoax to give people the illusion that we are running out of it oil. fossil fuels = Oil? LOL, Umm, no. Oil naturally occurs over time and eventually replenishes itself.

:D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    trickson says thanks.
  24. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    So what are you a fucking psychic? I think it's too early to tell the exact cause(s) but the facts are clear that there IS warming over the last 30 years. Has not been a colder-than-average month the entire time and the ice at the poles is melting fast. You sure aren't looking at science based on that crap you just spewed. You're just a wackjob conspiracy theorist. And even if it wasn't specifically "fossil fuels", using less of that dirty, hard-to-find and process crap is better for everyone and every remaining species on the planet.

And no "select few" get rich at the expense of others quite like oil executives. So give me a damn break.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  25. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    What a crock. That "if you're 27 years old" crap about colder than average months is just that, crap. It's a new shocking meme to steer the masses, nothing more. I had no idea what the hell you were talking about, so I copy pasted "Has not been a colder-than-average month" straight from your post into google. The first nine posts are just what you are talking about, and none are older than three days. The tenth is from Ohio, titled "October recap: 3rd consecutive cooler-than-average month.":roll::laugh::roll: