1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How Climate Change is Causing Antarctic Sea-ice to Expand

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by micropage7, Nov 13, 2012.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yes I predict the planet will be just fine till the day I die. After that I do not give 2 fucks what happens. And really why should I worry about it even now? I do not care! I also predict this planet will be here for another 10 trillion years. Am I supposed to worry about that too? Get over your self. just live on it enjoy it for the 80 or so years you get because I can tell you this WE ALL DIE! But this planet? Yeah it will still be here!
  2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    trickson says thanks.
  3. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    'I-don't-givafuck' attitude isn't something really awsum but you have a point. All those people screaming with foaming mouths how 'humans destroy Earth' actually don't do a single fucking thing to stop it. If you look closely they all have cars, they use electricity, they exhale CO2 and so on. The real thing is: if people (each and everyone of us, absolutely everyone) really cared, this world wouldn't had been like this now. It really seems that people don't really love this beautiful planet if they have no will to keep it clean.

Speaking for myself: I don't have a car, I don't smoke, I use electric power as less as I can, I've planted a dozen of trees and saved a tiny forest from wildfire but even all these things don't make me feel any better. Because it hardly changes anything. I just live my life.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  4. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I love how people say they planted tress. That is an oxymoron, The trees were planted already if you think about it, You had to go to the plant store to get the tree that you plant right? Well that tree was planted before you put it in front of you over sized home you have to heat!
    You do not have a car? So you take the bus right or the train or whatever form of public transportation there is right? Well YOU FAILED! Do you eat food from the store? Well I have news for you that food got there by a fossil fuel burning big rig, Another FAIL. You are on a computer or smart phone or iPad right? Got news for you it took more energy to make that thing and trans port it to you than you think. See no matter what YOU do there is always some thing that will counter balance it in a big way. Good old Al Gore spreading his BS all over the place. Soon every person will have to pay a carbon tax just to breath and fart! And that assclown got the Nobel prize? For what? Hell I think I should get one to because I am alive as well!
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Please watch this to learn facts about climate change and why people tell you various things about it.

This is from UC Berkeley, not some random internet video. There is no math or complex language. It should be mandatory before engaging in any climate discussions.

Watch the other lectures for Letters and Science C70V (aka Physics for Future Presidents) to be able to pwn people in all physics topics related discussions.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. trickson

Thanks Received:
    That is just to long to watch maybe you could give us a general run down of it? You know put it terms we could understand, Yes you can use cartoons if you have too. Maybe a popup book or some thing?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  7. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Trees were planted by my granddad before me and now it was just my turn. I didn't buy anything from store. So you failed.

I walk and when I have to. So you fail.

Another fail for you. 90% of food is from my uncle's garden.

And this is news? I'm only responsible for myself. So no need to talk some crap if you have no idea about the things that happening on the other end.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  8. trickson

Thanks Received:
    so you crawl out from your rock every now an again? Man YOU got it going ON! Good for you. Thank you because every thing YOU do not use I will gladly!
  9. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    What it go to do with rock? Your logic is meaningless. It sucks to be you then, use whatever you want, I couldn't care less. Like I said before I'm responsible for myself only. Go play your battlefield.
  10. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Let me see. The way you make it sound is as if you live in some bubble. you get all you food from the farm on site. You live with out going any place like a store or in town as you walk every were. Do you have any connection with the outside other than the internet? You do not go to the store? Every thing you said to me is like a person that lives off the land. Yet you are on line so some where down the line that thing got to you some how. Are you a Gennie?
  11. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't use any math, or complex language. If you want to understand a complex issue you have to invest some time, or shut up and chant the name of whatever god you believe in
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Nail has been hit on the head!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. trickson

Thanks Received:
    What? You mean you can not say one way or there other? I mean come on man there is ether global warming or not. It is ether caused by man or not.
    I personally could careless. I know I am not going to be on it that much longer. My GOD is invisible and has never told me his name.
  14. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    The consensus is that there is 0.64°C to 0.69°C man-made warming so far.

Which won't help you understand the issue any better
  15. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Someone just shut the thread down. It's turned into the typical pseudo science and political piss fight that I fully expect from so many posts that end up in this bloody infernal "science and technology" forum.

The most sense I've read in the past few pages has been from Mailman. He's hit it on the head. It doesn't matter what's happening because there is jack shit you or anybody else is going to do about it.

In France, the worlds fledgling fusion project ITER is starting to get built up but it's costs are phenomenal. Fusion will happen one day, it's just a matter of time and technology catching up with the science.

But it's so far in the future in political lifespans that any government that invests heavily in it will NOT see it's fruition. It wont benefit their election chances. Politics is governed by money and right now, there are no incentives to go green. We still have enough of those old fossil fuels.

So, when coal/petrol runs out we'll need nuclear (fission) until fusion comes along (which needs a miracle breakthrough or some heavy investment).

Meanwhile we get more babies, less natural land and more urban areas. Our seas fill with shit and it's all going to be bad for someone eventually. But it wont be me. It wont be my offspring.

And the earth wont die. It doesn't have that capacity. It's a rock and we exist on it - nothing more. We could all work together for world peace and green sustainability and we could all one day get there.

So what? Life is not guaranteed. Ask T-Rex. Wait for the continents to drift together again. Wait for a meteor strike (there will be one again one day). Wait for a super virus. Wait for mecha Bieber.

Something out there will one day end life. All we can do now is survive. And comfortably for 21st century western people - surviving is fun. Ask someone is Sudan if they give a shit about global warming and eco-refill pouches when some idiot warlord burns down a village.

Ask a third world child whose brother has just been adopted by Madonna if he cares about global warming when he can't even find a grain of rice for his emaciated belly.

Should we do something? Yes. Help an old lady across the road. Help out at a soup kitchen, crunch for research (and suck mains power while you're at it), help clean out a river or keep a beach free of fishing twine.

But can you stop the big things happening? No. You can't. You can't stop the relentless march of governments and money. You will do what they make you do. And you will survive regardless.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  16. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    yeah i had higher expectations, too

not any time soon

there is nothing anyone in the western world can do, that's why it's out of the news. developing countries will drive climate change in the next 50 years.
  17. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I saw all these things coming. If we have a science forum it should have explicit banning rules regarding bringing in pseudo science and religion.

Yeah, i know coal's safe for a while. Too many billions of years of life to be excavated for us.
  18. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    that's an interesting idea. but long term perspective is that everybody ends up being banned from the forum
  19. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    lol

Also,

And who's going to invest in that infrastructure? cough* America* cough *China* cough *everyone*
  20. trickson

Thanks Received:
    The problem is that it take a scientist to point this stuff out to us. We are just the drones, We work, We play, we live. It is above the "normal" persons head and this is why many many millions of people just do not care. they see it just like Millions of others do, There is NOTHING I can do about it. Even if I was to move to the mountains and live like some hermit it will not change a thing. Then you get the ones that are the smartest on forums knocking and making us not so smart ones feel like crap for saying what we say.
    Tell me one thing that I can do that would change what Mother Earth is going to do? I recycle! I walk when I can where I can. I eat cows as much as I can! And pigs and chickens. I am doing my part as much as my tiny little brain will let me. I am not like all of you that know tons more than I do. I just think there is nothing that can be done from my end. I can not make any one stop doing any thing let alone tell say China to stop using fossil fuels for manufacturing the things we buy here in America!

Berate and belittle away at me now for my lack of education and low intelligence if you will.
  21. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    so you don't care about god, news, people around you ? can't do anything about those, too. Humans are curious and want to understand things.. a good thing

Not sure what infrastructure you are talking about. US and Europe are essentially broke and don't even have money to feed their poorest.

Developing countries where people are just getting fridges and cars won't give a shit about climate change (and they have every right to not care imo).

Investment happens where money is to be made
  22. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I think at times like these we need to remember the teachings of the worlds greatest prophets,
    Ted Theodore Logan and Bill S Preston - Be excellent to one another.

By infrastructure i meant albeit politely the ransacking of natural resources by western companies. China already has massive influence i Africa but I'm not anti-China. By all accounts their business model is better than many Western counterparts.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  23. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I care about God as my beliefs say to. The news? No not really. People around me? Yeah if some one is in need I do my best to help. But that is about it.
  24. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Climate Change is not that bad, We won't be extinct, the planet won't "die", we will just be fine. If the planet really "changes climate", it will just re-fix itself. resources won't run out, we are not throwing them outside the planet anyway aside from a few spaceships and satellites. and small asteroids coming in with resources are counter-balancing them anyway too.

Unless something massive and external comes like a big solar flare or asteroid we will be just fine. also, We have survived a couple of ice ages and "doomsday" events without modern technology and with fewer numbers.

to prevent this man-made climate change we would need to stop using almost everything we use in our day to day lives. and we cannot do that, we might as well live in the caves, which will also be the outcome if we happen to "destroy" the planet with climate change in a long enough timeline. I would rather live comfortable today than thinking about the potential miserable lives of the future humans.

only solution is to move forward in technology so that we can develop ways to reduce the effects or maybe adapt to them. but not completely stop using them.

Humans advances in technology because of the desire to make lives easier, and to do more things, fueled by the people's wants, needs and a little bit of curiosity. If we really felt the need to make changes and if the planet is really becoming hard to live in we would surely develop the technology to make lives easier(again).
  25. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received: