1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I find out if my parts are DOA?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by balls, Aug 24, 2007.

1. balls New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ordered parts a week ago from newegg to do my first build. The parts came, and the installation went off without a hitch (other than figuring out how to mount my harddrive). Anyways, I hooked everything up today, and plugged in the PSU into the wall. I got a Standby light on the motherboard. A good sign, right? Well, I go to power on the machine, and nothing happens. Nothing at all. All that happens is an orange LED right next to that standby LED lights up. Since none of my fans did anything, I thought maybe my PSU was dead, but then how would my mobo be receiving power to light up those LED's? Also, for the fans, I have 4 pin plugs hooked up to the PSU itself, and also the fan headers on the mobo. I talked to my INSANELY tech savvy friend who has build at least 20 computers, and he said that I've done everything right. I think I'm gonna cry. If anyone has any advice on finding out if maybe one of my parts is DOA, then I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    Raidmax Smilodon case w/ 500W PSU
    EVGA 680i Mobo
    Patriot DDR2 800 Memory
    GeForce 7600GT
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4400
    Seagate 320GB Sata 3.0GB/s
  2. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    have you remembered all the power connectors man, especially the little 4 pin P4 connector??
  3. balls New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, everything is all connected.
  4. balls New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I were to unplug all the fan headers in the motherboard, and then try to boot up the computer, would that show if my PSU was shot?
  5. balls New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well guys, I unplugged everything except the mobo power, cpu power, and graphics external power, and my computer posted! I guess I did something wrong with the fans then... I'll keep trying. Thanks for your help.
  6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    might just be a shorted fan keeping PS off, try em 1 at a time to find the bad 1
  7. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's possible that you have your power switch (the one on the case) plugged in backwards.
  8. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    they can go on either way, the switch just shorts 2 pins together
  9. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    but if it's backwards for example my mobo is this direction for the switch: -+ but if I try the switch like this +- it wont work