1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do i fresh install Vista?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by CDdude55, Apr 9, 2008.

1. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Which one would i get? And can someone tell me the steps for a clean install of Vista?
  2. Psychoholic

Thanks Received:
    Pop in the disc and go.. it does the formatting for you.. just tell it how much space to use for the partition.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  3. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say go with XP x64, but I'd imagine you want Vista for DX10 (Server 2008 has it and runs even faster than XP BTW) so I'd recomend buying the Vist Home Premium Upgrade... You can do a full install with it by installing it twice (install and then 'upgrade' again) and save yourself a bunch of $$$.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  4. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I take it as youre asking how to do it, then you need a bit more of a "step by step" guide.

1.) backup anything on your old system that you want to keep (either to DVD or a spare drive)
    2.)download any drivers that you will need incase vista dosent have then (Network Drivers are important so that you can get your network card working when you finished the installation and want to download other drivers
    3.) Pop the vista install disc into the DVD drive and restart the PC
    4.)It will load all the installation files and present you with a screen showing your current setup on the discs. You want to delete any existing partitions and then create a new one (Size is up to you, or if you dont want one thats fine aswell)
    5.)Tell it to setup on the partition of your choice and sit back and watch it install
    6.) Itll do a reboot then carry on with the main installation then after thats done you can setup your prefernaces in the step by step menu and finally load windows.
    7.)Boot up windows and get online to download drivers for all the hardware on your computer (Soundcard, Graphics Card, chipset etc...)

:)
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    insert the Vista CD when booted into Windows?
  6. Wetbehindtheears New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say Vista Ultimate and boot computer with Vilta Ult disc in for a clean install (as long as you have the drivers avail.)
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, go into your bios and set the 1st boot device as your CD/DVD player, then boot.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  8. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I have 4GB of RAM(x4 1GB sticks) and i hear i need to take out two of them before installing because it BSOD's is that true?

And do i need to install chipset drivers after the installation(Where do i find them?)
  9. Wetbehindtheears New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never when I installed Vista Ult but I have heard that b4. Once you've decided on vista version check mobo website (EVGA ?) and download drivers to suit (32 or 64 bit) then install vista then new drivers. Chances are vista will find drivers for some (all?) afterwards. :confused: