1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I reactivate Windows after upgrading PC?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KKSlider1337, Dec 22, 2012.

1. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

I'm upgrading my PC in a few days and just wanted to be prepared when it happens. I'm replacing the mobo, RAM, GPU, PSU and CPU. My Windows installation is a student Windows 7 64bit upgrade, upgraded from a Vista 32bit OEM.

First question: I'm going to try using sysprep to strip my installation of old drivers and hopefully successfully replace them with new drivers. Should this work?

Second question: Will this upgrade invalidate my Windows license? And if so, will my PC be unusable?

Third question: If it's invalidated, how do I reactivate it? Can I re-enter the license or will I have to reinstall? If I reinstall, would the 7 Upgrade activate, as well as the Vista OEM?

Basically, the best case scenario would be that I won't have to reinstall Windows for the time being, and can do it at my leisure.

Thanks in advance!
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Give MS a quick phone call to reactivate and no it will be useable, I think for 30 days. Really would be best to do a clean installation though, and might even still need to call MS to activate.
    KKSlider1337 says thanks.
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The activation lockout only lasts for 120 days after activating so an internet activation should work. If not, simply use the phone activation as JR said.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    120 ? sure about that last time it did it to me it gave me 3 days lol.
  5. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Depends on how you install. If you press the Omit button when asked for the key Windows will give you 3 days for activation. If you leave the field blank and press Next you'll have 30 days for activation. You can reset the activation period 3 times by re-arming Windows before the activation period ends.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. Once you've activated, you can reactivate over the internet on different hardware after 120 days.
    AsRock says thanks.
  7. americanlifestyle7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    online pharmacy in india

As PCs get more powerful and easier to use, the challenges involved with upgrading them have remained about the same. For the novice, a hard drive upgrade can appear downright daunting. For more experienced tinkerers, the upgrade itself may be easy, but it's easier still to overlook factors that could streamline the whole process and better protect both the hardware and the data stored on it.
  8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Just do it. And then go from there. Its most likely not a problem

And I have no idea what he is talking about ^^^
  9. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Lol, obvious spammer is obvious. Thanks guys, I'll be doing this tomorrow on Christmas Day, so fingers crossed it all goes well :)
  10. jtsonphone New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah,The activation lockout only lasts for 120 days after activating so an internet activation should work. If not, simply use the phone activation as JR said.[​IMG]