1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I remove Windows Updates?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by John Phoenix, Jun 14, 2010.

1. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do not want to disable the service. I have done that many times. I don't want to turn it off. I want to delete critical windows updates files for good.

Something keeps turning my windows updates back on and puts it on automatic, after I set everything to Never. I do not know why this is happening. This is really getting annoying so I just want to wreck the whole thing so it cannot run. Whats the best way to do that?

For windows 7 64 bit.
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Hit Windowskey+R

Type services.msc and hit enter.

Scroll down to Windows Update, right click, select properties.

In the properties window, change the startup type to disabled.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would you not want your OS to keep up to date :confused:
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes internet is slow, sometimes it gets in the way of playing games, sometimes you are using tethering and your phone company imposed a restriction of 1mb internet limit etc.
    95Viper says thanks.
  5. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:

That's Not what I am looking to do. I have tried that. It does not work.

No matter How I disable the service.. it comes back. I need to delete critical files, that's the olny way to solve this, but I don't know which ones.

Black Panther,

I have other ways to get my updates from Microsoft without going through this silly windows updates program. I am not missing any updates that I really need.
  6. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
  7. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:

Thanks. The only thing on that page I haven't tried is disabling it through GPedit. I'll try it.. if it happens again though, just like my disabled service getting turned back on by a ghost.. I will have to start deleting files.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Try this, from here: How can I disable Windows Update?

1. Start regedit.exe on the machine where you want to disable Windows Update.
    2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
    3. From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value.
    4. Enter a name of NoWindowsUpdate, and press Enter.
    5. Double-click NoWindowsUpdate, and set it to 1.
    6. Close regedit.

Disclaimer Warning: Edit your registry at your own risk...

:)
  9. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks 95Viper, perhaps that coupled with the above gpedit settings will solve my problem.
  10. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    Get a legit copy so Windows Updates won't disable your OS again.
  11. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    hockster, have you not read the win7 club thread?? there are tons of LEGIT users plagued with windows update locking their o/s and no way to repair/stop it is reformat
    95Viper says thanks.
  12. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Didn't you read the thread? I have a legit copy of windows.. my pc is not being disabled by windows updates. That is not the problem I have been having.
  13. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:
    The machine I am having the windows updates problem on is my desktop. Not to get off topic but per your comment - I actually had a brand new laptop that had windows activation issues after I made a few innocent changes to the system. It seems there are many things can happen to trigger a false response from the windows activation technologies. I went round and round with the Microsoft WAT guys over this in their forum. These are things that are all legal to do and is your right to do them to configure your system according to the MS Windows TOS.

The WAT team knows about these bugs but they state they refuse to fix them - they just don't want to re-write the WAT software, leaving you no choice but to reinstall and/or undo those changes. They actually cause you not to be able to use the system in a manner that is your legal right to do so.. They didn't like it when according to their TOS and other documents I proved to them their WAT software was in error. They were very cocky and rude about the whole affair.