• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I reset a router and make it safer?

HiddenStupid

Processor x2 4400+
Memory 3gig
Video Card(s) 8800 gts 512mb
Power Supply 500w zumax
About 2 years ago I bought a used computer from ebay.... as seeing it fresh and assumed the previous owner have reformatted so did not reformat myself.

About 3,4 years ago bought a used Router from ebay. Straight up connect it to the internet right away. Heard that if buying a used router and did not reset and check if any ports are open by the previous owner.... may be secuirty risk.

How do I check if my router are safe? and how to reset router? it doe snot come with manual. It is a Buffalo router... white color..... full metal jacket.... small size.

Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i11
Memory 4x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133MHz
Video Card(s) 2x NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FEs
Storage 512GB SSD, 2x2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC U2879VF, AOC G2260VWQ6
Case Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
On the back, is there a small button/hole with reset written above it? if there is, use a pencil to push it. This should be OK. If not, go to 192.168.1.1, login with username "admin" and password "admin", change the password so it's less hackable, and in the port forwarding section, close any ports you do not need. For obvious reasons, leave port 80 open.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Please choose better thread titles in the future. Surprisingly have a good title brings more people to your thread than calling yourself names. I have changed your title to something more appropriate and moved it to the correct sub-forum.

Read the Forum Guidelines

HiddenStupid

Processor x2 4400+
Memory 3gig
Video Card(s) 8800 gts 512mb
Power Supply 500w zumax
On the back, is there a small button/hole with reset written above it? if there is, use a pencil to push it. This should be OK. If not, go to 192.168.1.1, login with username "admin" and password "admin", change the password so it's less hackable, and in the port forwarding section, close any ports you do not need. For obvious reasons, leave port 80 open.

oh ok.... Im not sure if it has the reset plug or not... I gotta check but right now im not at the place.

Please choose better thread titles in the future. Surprisingly have a good title brings more people to your thread than calling yourself names. I have changed your title to something more appropriate and moved it to the correct sub-forum.

Read the Forum Guidelines

oh ok