1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I reset a router and make it safer?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by HiddenStupid, Jan 2, 2008.

1. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    About 2 years ago I bought a used computer from ebay.... as seeing it fresh and assumed the previous owner have reformatted so did not reformat myself.

About 3,4 years ago bought a used Router from ebay. Straight up connect it to the internet right away. Heard that if buying a used router and did not reset and check if any ports are open by the previous owner.... may be secuirty risk.

How do I check if my router are safe? and how to reset router? it doe snot come with manual. It is a Buffalo router... white color..... full metal jacket.... small size.
  2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    On the back, is there a small button/hole with reset written above it? if there is, use a pencil to push it. This should be OK. If not, go to 192.168.1.1, login with username "admin" and password "admin", change the password so it's less hackable, and in the port forwarding section, close any ports you do not need. For obvious reasons, leave port 80 open.
  3. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Please choose better thread titles in the future. Surprisingly have a good title brings more people to your thread than calling yourself names. I have changed your title to something more appropriate and moved it to the correct sub-forum.

Read the Forum Guidelines
  4. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh ok.... Im not sure if it has the reset plug or not... I gotta check but right now im not at the place.

oh ok