1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How Do I Set Up 3D?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MikeTyson, Nov 18, 2010.

1. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    does anybody know the best way to set up my system for 3D? i have 2 pairs of anaglyph glasses and my gtx460 and a copy of avatar 3d :)

the thing is, avatar 3d seems to have 2 pictures side by side, obviously i can't watch a movie like that cos it would be ridiculous

so any ideas? thanks :)

(and no it's not a 3dtv, but it seems a waste of a 55inch HD beast not to try)

2. ObSo-1337

ObSo-1337 New Member

Thanks Received:
    theres different types of software and drivers for 3D. Althought ive not tried them, it sems to a hit or a miss. iZ3D has free drivers for anaglyph glasses so check them out :) Tri-def is another package but im sure that requires a 3D TV but don't quote me on that. Good luck ;D

3. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    If you don't have a 3d tv which does 120hz, I don't think it will work.

4. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hm I tried iZ3D and when playing a movie with the iZ3D option enabled the picture just freezes :(

But I've seen reports of people really enjoying movies with anaglyph glasses so there must be a way, but for me it's really crap

5. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, i'm not sure if this works for dvds, but go to Nvidia control panel. Go to 3D section, you must press enable. Then put your glasses on and do a few simple tests. Once you pass these a few 3D game screenshots should appear, look at these then try to watch the dvd. I know this works with games, but i've never used it to watch a dvd. Hope i helped! :D

6. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm I did try this before, thanks for the advice :p

Some of the images for the nVIDIA demonstration look pretty great in 3D however some look pretty sucky

I tried playing Black Ops Campaign in 3D at 1920x1080 everything maxed out and I gotta say it looks terrible in 3D

With the anaglyph glasses on I could still clearly see all the red and blue seperation and nothing looked 3D, it just looked fuzzy and crap and the colours were horrible :(

Thing is the Avatar 3D DVD is a proper 3D DVD and you can tell that cos you can watch it perfectly in 2D when you turn 3D mode off in Stereoscopic Player, so clearly the red and blue and stuff isn't just engrained into the image.. it's some kind of seperate layer you can turn on and off

It's really disappointing to buy this DVD and not be able to use it as it should be used

Any other suggestions? :(

7. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to say, you need a 120Hrz screen due to the glasses refresh rate for each eye. It is still possible to do the old fashioned 3D though.

8. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do I do that? :)

9. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    If you are asking how to do it the old 3D way then I believe it will be within the DVD settings that you could change it but I don't know if the DVD will support that as it was meant for "true" 3D. There may be a way in your graphics driver settings that could turn the film into the red and blue, or maybe a different media player that will convert the film but I don't know of any. Otherwise you will have to buy a 120hrz screen.

10. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm seems a bit of a rip to have a £1500 screen that can't even do modern stuff

If I were to purchase the nVIDIA 3d Vision Kit, would that be comparable quality to TVs with built-in 3D?

11. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    You'll still need the 120hz screen even if you buy the NV 3d kit. Its the requirement for it.

12. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    bollocks :(

so how do i set up just a simple 3d anaglyph mode?

13. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, if you love 3D then you will need a new screen but if you like the sound of what 3D has to offer, I would try and watch some more 3D films in the cinema and then see if it is worth it. Personally I think the film is dimmed quite substantially and although it doesn't effect me personally, some people do get headaches over the duration of the film. Personally I would forget about 3D saying you dropped that much amount of money on a screen.

MikeTyson says thanks.
  14. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The nvidia driver supports the old anaglyph mode. You need to install the 3D component from the nvidia website.

You then need to make sure that you are viewing content that's in the anaglyph format.

Things to note about anaglyph:

It works on any old monitor, CRT, LCD, space tech, whatever

The picture looks absolutely shit, because it's inherent in the dual colour lens format

Almost any game can work in anaglyph mode by setting the driver to anaglyph 3D. Games can also work just as well in the standard nvidia 3D shutter glasses mode.

15. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Is the 3D version of Avatar available now?

PS: I wouldnt bother if its a standard def version, you really need it to be high def ;)