• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how do i set up my router for a game server

• Thread starter Deleted member 24505
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24505

thanks for all the help.the link was useful.my wireless is set on a access list so only the guy i'm sharing it with can get on by his mac address,and my ssid is set on hidden.

ex_reven

most "routers" and their firewalls dont take a real hacker more then a couple minutes to get past, its a faulse sence of security, if you want true security buy a cisco router(300+bucks)

Not having a go at you or anything, but if we are going to remain accurate about the campaign of "false security" via the use of routers, we might as well remain consistent with the use of correct information. Hacking is the intentional entering of a system WITHOUT altering the users system apart from creating easier methods of entry for later use.
CRACKERS are hackers, however their intents are malicious and aim towards more serious illegal activities such as theft of information, fraud, blackmail/extortion, destruction of property and kidnapping. To the global hacking community, their acts are undergone for fun and not for misuse of other peoples systems (in the vast majority of cases). In repect of their community, just as i respect the community of TPU it is only fair that you talk about crackers rather than hackers when talking about dangers to people's systems.

anybody with 1/2 a brain can avoid being raped by viruses/keylogers/the mailman (har har) without using a "hardware firewall"

A hardware firewall is just an extra piece of security, think of it as a filter. If this filter means i have to run less programs to remove or prevent the infection of spyware/adware etc, then that means less programs using system resources. Where the hardware router costs your computer no performance over the use of a regular connection.

oh and JMS i would advise if you have wireless network DISSABLE IT, i can hackinto any wireless network in 5min TOPS and have FULL access to the network to boot.

Anyone can "hack" wireless networks. The reason being that there exists many public domain freeware programs capable of picking up signals and simply giving you the password. Airsoft comes to mind. I have a wireless network that works pretty nicely for me, and its convenient. Unless of course im using some sort of sweet encryption, but regular home users rarely utilize that. Furthermore, why would you need to hack someones wireless when there are an abundance of free internet hotspots, or if you feel especially vile, someones unsecured network. LOTS of unsecured networks are everywhere. You need only the reception to connect.

D

Deleted member 24505

is using the mac address access list and hidden ssid any more secure? from reading up it seems only a machine who's mac address is on my access list can connect.

ex_reven

thats correct, you need to specify the mac addresses on your network in order for them to be permitted to connect to the router