1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I stop my Asrock mobo from whining?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by acuriousman, Oct 6, 2011.

1. acuriousman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there everybody!

So I recently finished building my new Sandy Bridge rig. I have an Asrock Extreme4 Gen 3, with a XFX 5850, a 2500k, and an Antec Truepower New 650w. Everything is working perfectly except for one thing.

It emits a low frequency hum/whine during use. It doesn't increase during certain activities and it doesn't decrease. It stays at a constant level of whine that's so annoying, it's burrowing a hole in my ear. This has been going on for around 2 weeks ever since I got it. ARGH!

Is there anyway to stop this noise? I read somewhere that was an option you could toggle in the BIOS that could help, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that. Any advice will do, this is really driving me MENTAL!

Thanks for reading!

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the bios option that helped my housemates whiny board was C1E/EIST. however, his varied depending what you did.

TBH finding the component that whines and covering it with something (heatsink, etc) is your only option other than RMA.

edit: empty cardbooard tube like from a toilet roll can be useful in finding the noise. listen to the other end and move it around til you find the noisemaker.

3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Mussels: now i can't keep that image away from my mind: you with the toilet roll on your ear! :))))))

Curiosman: I would set the mobo up and run in the open (not in case) to find the noisy spot.... touch parts to find the vibrations (not yours, the mobo's :p )

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you cant find them by vibration, i've tried in the past. you have to locate the noise, and then find it by covering the components (and you cant always reach them, or even touch them due to the heat output)

erixx says thanks.
  5. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    has something to do with EMI shields this problem?

Move the case away from your desk, or change it...

Mine makes a slight noise when i download a game from Steam, not annoying but noticeable

6. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

You may get lucky and as you use the board more it will stop whining by it's self.

I have not been able to stop the whining noises coming from graphics cards and motherboards though I just put more fans in my system, I'd rather listen to the woosh woosh noises :laugh:

7. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    The noise is surely a fan bad mounted or defective, hard drive, PSU, case vibration, or the chokes in the motherboard or video card, may be rarely a capacitor in the motherboard or video card or any expansion card but you have to isolate it as Mussels stated :)

8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Tell that bitch to shut up!

Chevalr1c, de.das.dude and erixx say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    You named nearly every part on the mobo... helpful. :nutkick: :D

Most likely its coil whine. Use this 'toilet paper roll' method to find the noisy coil, then take some clear nail polish and put a few drops on the coil. that should do it.

10. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an Extreme4 version that did the same thing after I switched out parts. It did it the first two times I rebooted the machine but eventually went away.

11. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is that the Extreme4 Gen3? If so, do you know if the Extreme4 and Extreme3 have the PLX chips? Since I'm trying to confirm this

12. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I named every thing that can whine. You mentioned something I did previously

13. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    the whining noise is probably coming from some electrolytic capacitor, or any capacitor. i know caps can whine. ive heard them myself. (at the back of my CRT monitor)

if a capacitor is whining, that means its GONNA DIE!!

14. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Ive never heard any of those parts whine (oustide of PSU/GPu chokes)... :wtf:.. I must be lucky.

Anyway, this guy cross forum posted at my home forum today... good times as not sure he has tried anything here yet.

15. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    May sound strange, I understand, but what I saw myself, fans can whine if they are bad mounted or simply defective, capacitors are know to whine (though generally in high frequency) if they are receiving lots of ripple or are bad, hard disk can whine if it is loosely mounted or the spin motor is defective, the own computer case may vibrate because of the hard disk or fan, and can emit loud sounds, etc :)

That's why it's useful to pinpoint the component as you or Musels stated.

But yeah, chokes are far more common to vibrate but the new ones (cubic form instead of torus) are less prone to that :)

EDIT:
    Other guy that saw and heard whining capacitors :) yeah you're right, it can mean they are dying but also in some cases I saw, that they are receiving more ripple that they can handle (normally due to bad PSU filters as well :) )

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  16. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    I have a Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3 and i spotted the PLX chip with a sticker.

Jegergrim says thanks.
  17. acuriousman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wonderful, thanks so much for the replies!

I will try the paper tube method and post my results as to what to do next. Thanks again. :D