1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I transfer the internet from a USB Wireless Lan adaptor to a router?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by culda_A, Oct 2, 2007.

1. culda_A New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do I transfer the internet from a USB Wireless Lan adaptor to a WIFI router?

I have internet from usb WIFI Lan adaptor and I will like to transfer via the cable to a D-link router (Air Plus G+) in order to connect others computers on internet ...so any ideea how to do it?

thanks

2. bassmasta Guest

either get a wired + wireless router, or put the usb wireless thing in you pc, and look for a setting that says "let others connect to the internet through this computer" or something of the sort.

3. culda_A New Member

Thanks Received:
    a little more help pls

4. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Not sure why you want to do this or even how to but if you already have a wireless router you are good to go:confused:

5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think what he means is that his I-net connection is through a wireless card on a lappy and that he wants to connect another computer to it through the WIFI-G router.

I guess he would have to enable the Hard wire lan port to send the signal to the router.

But, I'm not sure how to do this!:confused:

:toast:

6. Aguiar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not quite sure , what do you want but i have this...Modem ADSL conected to a router...router conected to a capable wireless computer with open net and 3 others computers conected to this open net and i have net on every computer...but if i shut down the 1st computer all network goes down.

PS: I have router because i have 2 other computers without wireless and conected to router...if not i believe i didn´t have to get trought the router and simply conect Modem ADSL to 1st computer to have wireless network.

7. culda_A New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok let me explain I have a usb wifi adaptor that connects me to internet on my laptop and I want that from my laptop to send the internet via a cable to my router and then to connect 2 others computers... the router has the posibility to transmit wifi but not to receive

8. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    somthing a bit strange about this set up:p

9. culda_A New Member

Thanks Received:
    very funny, we have a internet provider that provide internet wifi and is protected with password and username so they provide to customer a usb wifi adaptor the ideea is that I want to use to 2 computers and I have only 1 adaptor but I have a router

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  10. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If your router can transmit but not receive then it is broken and you'll never be able to get it to communicate with another device.

11. culda_A New Member

Thanks Received:
    the router is made to transmit only not to receive check the specs D-link Air Plus G+ that is the router .... if you know that it can receive then tell me how

12. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    You do is have a computer with the usb wireless adapter and a ethernet port. First you plug the output of the ethernet port of the computer to the input of the wireless router. Than you have to enable share internet connection. Google for "share internet connection" on how to do this...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=share+internet+connection&btnG=Google+Search

Basically you are virtually bridging the wireless feed from your usb, to the computer than relaying it back to the wireless router.

I have does this in the past and works great, only down fall is that you have a complicated, and power guzzling router (aka the pc)

13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If your router cannot recieve wireless transmissions via your wireless card it cannot transmit the info to your other computers. If your card actually does transmit a signal, you should be able to skip the router and recieve the signal directly from the laptop. Unless you get a different router, or a wired source this is your only option.

14. bassmasta Guest

i still don't completly understand the situation. if internet connection sharing doesn't work, i'm wondering if you can post a picture of this set up? nothing fancy, just boxes connected by lines to illustrate it.

15. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
  16. culda_A New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok tomorow I will post a picture for easy understanding

17. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Is this is what you want to do?

[​IMG]

18. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    i believe that is what he is trying to do ktr.

19. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    if that is so, then he just need to follow the steps i have previously posted.

20. culda_A New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i will try to see