1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do ya add to window start menu?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by nora.e, Jun 9, 2007.

1. nora.e New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using Windows XP home sp2.
    How do ya add a folder to the right side of the start menu? It got all the normal options, My Documents, My Pics, My this, My that. What if I wanted to create a new one, name it "my hot lesbian sex videos" and put it with the rest of the "My Crap" folders????????

2. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    Make a Start menu shortcut to it in the All Programs section. Then drag it to the top left of the original Cascade menu. (Where windows update normally is).
    lol @ folder name

3. nora.e New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you refering to the short cut side an the left? I'm trying to get it onto the "My Crap" side on the right. If that's what you r trying to tell me then I'm gonna have to give you a "finger in the nose blank stare" and say Ahhhh I don't get it.

4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:

Do you mean 'Icon' in taskbar or quick access folders? check here;

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/ie/reskit/ie4/Part3/part3a.mspx?mfr=true

5. nora.e New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, that link is to a '95 os I'm running xp home.

6. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. nora.e New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah kind of a dumb thing about XP. You gotta be the Administrator to change/add some things. When you set up XP you should have listed youreself as Admin and just not typed in a password. That way it's a single user PC and you have controll.

Goto START > Control Panel > User Accounts > Administrator > change Name to you and do not enter a password and that should do it, unless you allready have an "ADMIN" and you dont know the password. In that case you will have to ask the Admin for access to change things.

9. nora.e New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am listed as the "administrator" on my system and have it set up not to need a pass word. Besides that's what the oops jumper on the mobo is for, to dump the pass word if you've got one and forgot.

10. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this thing you want to add located anywhere in the start menu, If it is then locate it and r-click > select PIN to start menu. It will be moved to the light blue area. If its a folder on the desktop etc it should work But you need to make a shortcut first then on the shortcut R-click > select Pin to start menu.

If 'pin to start menu' is not there then just drag and drop it into start menu, this only works with start menu items IE "all programs" items.

That should do it I hope, if not post back. :toast:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  11. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    BTW if the option "pin to start menu" is not there than you need to tweek the registry, XP pro comes with this entry, Home does not(usualy), but you can add it if you are comfortable with reg.edit.

Google 'Pin to start Menu' (with or without "missing") and there are lots of answers to that, or tools you can purchase to fix it with if you are not comfortable.(I would use the one offered by MS windows, as it comes with other tweeks and tools).

:toast: