1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do you feel about the new layout of the Newegg web site?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by twilyth, Oct 2, 2011.

?

How do you feel about the new layout for Newegg's site?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2011.
  1. Love it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Like it

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Don't care

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Want the old layout

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Hate it

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. They're trying too hard to be like Amazon

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  8. No opinion

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. twilyth Guest

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go check it out.

Are they trying too hard to be like Amazon? Do you like being able to find non-hardware or computer related items there? There's always been some of that but most of the stuff that is new to the site is provided by third party vendors. And that can cause problems - like when I tried to cancel an order and couldn't because it had already gone to the other vendors.

If this is more appropriate for general nonsense, please move - my apologies.

edit: Note, I deliberately made the choices non-exclusive. Please only pick those that apply.
  2. GotNoRice

GotNoRice New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had a number of problems in the past on amazon where stuff is listed as in-stock but when you actually buy it, you get an e-mail from the vendor saying it's not in-stock.

Seems like these "marketplaces" just breed "sellers" that have little or no inventory, and don't order from their supplier until after your purchase. This essentially makes them little more than middle-men skimming their cut off the sale.

I much prefer to buy from a known, trusted site, where the company I bought it from is actually the company shipping it to me, etc.

Having that extra degree of separation found in a "marketplace" seems to act as a barrier to accountability.
  3. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I didn't see this until just a few hours ago........I hate Amazon. More confused then a nut in a padded cell.

I for one abhor Google for the record. With that said Newegg, FB, and others need to learn from Google's "changes". When Google makes changes, they do not leave the person with a "wtf just happened" feeling and a now the user needs to relearn the site all over again. This is one thing Google does very well.
  4. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Well these are two sites that I swear by. I always buy from the two sites. Never had problems with outside vendors on Amazon.com. These sites have always fulfilled my needs. Whenever I had problems, they have been nothing but kind to resolve and fix the problem. The layout for both of the site seems to be simple and not overly complicated to navigate in my opinion. I like it. Amazon is definitely a big competitor as they don't charge tax and most of the items I buy from them even computer hardware are free shipping.

Just my 2cents.:)
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Agreed Newegg and Amazon have all you need. If not then dealextreme.com
  6. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    They layout is not complicated (as techguy31 points out) and I agree. Its just the changes the make "suddenly" and then you feel like you have to relearn the site to go to where you want to. This is in contrast to Google. When they change something, it is suttle and only minor from what it was. It's not like the revamp the entire site at once.
  7. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    teh yogurt says "what new layout?"

seriously it looks the same as a month ago, perhaps with a few things moved just a tad.

tbh I always use the search function so I rarely pay attention to the layout on newegg or amazon.